Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:51 am

If location works for you, then go fo Andaz. I personally would go for Andaz than PH Tokyo. I'd probably change my mind in a few years once PH gets its much needed renovation. But for now, Andaz wins.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Have you ever stayed at Andaz? If not, I'd say give it a try, especially if you're not a Diamond.
Not diamond unfortunately. I've stayed at the Andaz brand but never the Andaz Tokyo.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Totally agree that for the all-points nights (or for P+C) Andaz is definitely the way to go, but if you don't mind the move, I would stick with PHT for the 2 free cc nights.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Not diamond unfortunately. I've stayed at the Andaz brand but never the Andaz Tokyo.
Andaz is better as a non-Diamond. Free coffee, soft drinks, and cookies throughout the day, free canapes and wine during the evening, and free pastries in the morning.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Totally agree that for the all-points nights (or for P+C) Andaz is definitely the way to go, but if you don't mind the move, I would stick with PHT for the 2 free cc nights.
Yea if Andaz had P+C available, it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately for my days they don't. So I thought it was a bit more questionable at 25k vs. 30k since it seems the PH Tokyo has the preferable location.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:33 am

Andaz is better as a non-Diamond. Free coffee, soft drinks, and cookies throughout the day, free canapes and wine during the evening, and free pastries in the morning.
If I'm not mistaken, access to the excellent spa & pool is also complimentary for all guests at Andaz, while there is a rather steep charge for non-Diamond at PHT.

And on top of all of that, there is the substantial difference in points.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
it seems the PH Tokyo has the preferable location.
There is little consensus on which Hyatt in Tokyo has the best location, but I'm pretty sure that any who consider PHT to be in a better location than Andaz would be a small minority.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:22 am

If I'm not mistaken, access to the excellent spa & pool is also complimentary for all guests at Andaz, while there is a rather steep charge for non-Diamond at PHT. The changing/showering facilities at the pool seemed quite basic, however.
For non-Diamonds, the sauna is payable whilst the pool is free for all guests.
And on top of all of that, there is the substantial difference in points.
If PHT works better for someone over Andaz, I don't think the 5k points is a huge difference.

However, P&C co-pay jumping from 150USD to 300USD definitely is. As someone who doesn't have CCs to generate HGP points, it makes the PHT a bit pointless on P&C for me unless the paid rates are particularly high.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by stargold
If PHT works better for someone over Andaz, I don't think the 5k points is a huge difference.
Yes, the 5K points (in this case x3 nights) is not huge difference if there is some reason that someone needs to stay at PHT, but for a non-Diamond I see zero intrinsic value in the PHT over Andaz, so to me it is a wasted 5K, equivalent to at least US$75, per night.

Even for the 2 free cc nights, if that was all a non-Diamond was staying, I'd recommend Andaz. But if the OP decides to stay 3 nights at Andaz on pts, then the 2 cc nights at PHT might be a nice comparison.

Thanks for the correction on the pool at PHT being free for all guests. I had forgotten that and was mistakenly grouping the spa & pool together.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the correction on the pool at PHT being free for all guests. I had forgotten that and was mistakenly grouping the spa & pool together.
The Andaz pool environment is better than the Park Hyatt. But the PHT spa is the best I have ever seen anywhere.

Andaz is nice in its own right, but other than breakfast and a nice (non-suite) upgrade, there's not much upside to being a Diamond. So I feel like I'm "leaving a lot of benefits on the table" by not choosing PHT.

Those without the "burden" of being Diamond would probably prefer the more special treatment of the Andaz.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not spend a few of those 5 nights somewhere else, like for example Hakone (if you want to use points) or the Fuji lakes area.... 5 days in a row in Tokyo might be a bit much.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why not spend a few of those 5 nights somewhere else, like for example Hakone (if you want to use points) or the Fuji lakes area.... 5 days in a row in Tokyo might be a bit much.
I will likely end up doing a few day trips during the 5 days in Tokyo. I'm not a huge fan of carrying my massive luggage around with small stops.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I did that too in the past, but it's not really the same as staying somewhere because you are rushing back in the evening. What's a great option in Japan is sending your luggage ahead to the next hotel and traveling with a small bag for those 1/2 night stays....

For a one night stay (and a great experience) something like Kozantei Ubuya is nice. And personally I like spending a whole day, 2 nights, at the HR Hakone just to relax and have an evening drink in the lounge. An easy and cheap train ride fom the PH, and in my opinion worth the points for 2 nights.

But as most people have stated, you cannot go wrong with both choices. Just go there with realistic expectations.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
I was only able to get a 2x double bed room (instead of a king, as we would prefer). Could someone please let me know if they're easy to push together?

Thanks!
Not really. The nature of the furniture and the nightstand in between the two beds would make this difficult. Make a note in the reservation that you would prefer a king and they will accommodate you if things change, or just keep checking back.

Andaz is nice in its own right, but other than breakfast and a nice (non-suite) upgrade, there's not much upside to being a Diamond. So I feel like I'm "leaving a lot of benefits on the table" by not choosing PHT.
Along the lines of everyone being different - I'm diamond and actually prefer Andaz even though I can't use suite upgrades there. That's about the only difference I can see.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
As of today 4/1, Diamond comped breakfast at the Tavern doesn't require a signing of a bill anymore. They changed the policy according to the staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.