Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Chicago

We' going to Chicago in May to catch a couple of games at Wrigley Field. I can stay at either the River North Hyatt or Hyatt Regency. I know nothing of Chi town and would appreciate some friendley advice as to which of these is a better choice for older couple, going to ball park, dining/drinking choices, general hotel quality.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebat
We' going to Chicago in May to catch a couple of games at Wrigley Field. I can stay at either the River North Hyatt or Hyatt Regency. I know nothing of Chi town and would appreciate some friendley advice as to which of these is a better choice for older couple, going to ball park, dining/drinking choices, general hotel quality.
Thanks for any advice.
Avoid the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive at all costs. And do you mean the Hyatt Place River North? HP is very different feel/vibe from a HR/

As far as location and getting to/from Wrigley you will want to take the Red Line (to Addison). Any property downtown will be about the same in terms of convenience.

Also, once you are downtown (or in that area) there are lots of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance or a quick cab ride away.

Have you looked at the Hyatt Magnificent Mile? I hear good things about that property.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
I don't have experience staying at any of the Hyatt's in Chicago (I live there) but I can over advice on location and things to do.

Hyatt Regency on Wacker: Probably the worst location
Hyatt Place River North or Hyatt Magnificent Mile: Good locations for finding lots of things to do and lots of good places to eat/drink.

What kind of spots are you looking for with regards to eating and drinking? Fine dining? Chicago Pizza? Steakhouses? Happy to offer some recommendations if you provide a bit more guidance.

I agree with the previous poster about taking the red line - The Grand stop is convenient to both the Hyatt Place and the Hyatt Magnificent Mile. You will take it to the Addison stop and Wrigley is straight across the street. Keep in mind that the Red Line heading north on game days can be very crowded, especially if it is an evening game and you have rush hour traffic too. It normally takes about 15 minutes to get there on the train from the Grand stop.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have to disagree with the rest of the thread, unfortunate or not. I now choose HR every time.

For the record, I stay in Chicago at least once a month and have stayed at all of the locations within 1 mile of Michigan Ave.

The Hyatt on Mag Mile, although close to Michigan Ave, it is not much closer to Michigan Ave to make a difference. Maybe this is also because I love to walk, so it doesn't bother me to cross the river each time I need to go onto Michigan Ave. The strip and few blocks surrounding Mag Mile are often too crowded anyway and I will Uber to surrounding pockets, etc for other dining options.

The service, rooms, and club are what make me return to the HR every month now. I've never had an issue getting an upgrade (I don't know if you have status) with a gorgeous view in a larger room. If there is a junior suite available when I check in, they have never had a problem transferring me. The club is currently under renovation, so it is in a larger suite on the 33rd floor, but it will be ready in 7 weeks. The Hyatt Mag Mile, while not having a club, does not have any rooms with tremendous views because they are not taller than any of the buildings surrounding them. Light is important to me, so I'd rather be starring at a river than Northwestern's medical building (you should request opposite, if you do stay).

BIG Bar has great servers and is a decent place to have drinks and/or some apps. It's a little on the pricey side (of course, no different at any of the others), but you pay for convenience.

The best part is that the HR is usually cheaper and you can get weekend rates right around the $100/night mark. This is because they have two towers of 34 floors each that they need to sell-out.

So maybe the HR isn't right in the heart of Mag Mile, but I like to say that it's my great little oasis away from the strip. A little more peaceful with my view of the river and less noise from Mag Mile.

I don't know if you will be driving out, but if you are, I can give you some ideas on cheaper options to park by either hotels!

Just have to be honest! Regardless of where you stay (if you stay on Michigan), like someone said above me, you will probably take the L or a cab to Wrigleyville. I would say pick a location based on value and ease of transportation (whether you like to walk or not).

Edit: I didn't mention anything about HP River North! I don't think it's that exciting of a location or hotel for a tourist. About a 15-20 minute walk from the mile, depending how far north you want to go. You can take the L right on the corner of Illinois/Clark to get anywhere as well. Although, if you do not have status and want a free breakfast, this is the place for you as all Hyatt Place's feature free buffet-style breakfast.

Last edited by healthnut; Mar 26, 2014 at 5:27 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neo_781
Avoid the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive at all costs. And do you mean the Hyatt Place River North? HP is very different feel/vibe from a HR/

As far as location and getting to/from Wrigley you will want to take the Red Line (to Addison). Any property downtown will be about the same in terms of convenience.

Also, once you are downtown (or in that area) there are lots of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance or a quick cab ride away.

Have you looked at the Hyatt Magnificent Mile? I hear good things about that property.
OK. we'll avoid that one.

Yes, I mean the Hyatt Place Chicago/River North. It looks nice from the web page. Are there a lot of shops/eataries/sites within walking distance of this hotel? We are inclined to choose this one because we need cat 4 and this one looks good.
I think the Magnificent Mile is cat 5 and my free nights are only good to cat 4.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe
I don't have experience staying at any of the Hyatt's in Chicago (I live there) but I can over advice on location and things to do.

Hyatt Regency on Wacker: Probably the worst location
Hyatt Place River North or Hyatt Magnificent Mile: Good locations for finding lots of things to do and lots of good places to eat/drink.

What kind of spots are you looking for with regards to eating and drinking? Fine dining? Chicago Pizza? Steakhouses? Happy to offer some recommendations if you provide a bit more guidance.

I agree with the previous poster about taking the red line - The Grand stop is convenient to both the Hyatt Place and the Hyatt Magnificent Mile. You will take it to the Addison stop and Wrigley is straight across the street. Keep in mind that the Red Line heading north on game days can be very crowded, especially if it is an evening game and you have rush hour traffic too. It normally takes about 15 minutes to get there on the train from the Grand stop.
Thanks, we'll avoid Regency. We want fine dining one night (our anniversary, why we're going.) Other time we just will eat pizza, sports bars, not so fine dining. Any good steak houses that are not outragously prricy? Also, what do you think of eating at Wrigley area? A lot of places there?
Thanks for the advice about travel on the subway, we'll leave plenty of time.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by healthnut
I have to disagree with the rest of the thread, unfortunate or not. I now choose HR every time.

For the record, I stay in Chicago at least once a month and have stayed at all of the locations within 1 mile of Michigan Ave.

The Hyatt on Mag Mile, although close to Michigan Ave, it is not much closer to Michigan Ave to make a difference. Maybe this is also because I love to walk, so it doesn't bother me to cross the river each time I need to go onto Michigan Ave. The strip and few blocks surrounding Mag Mile are often too crowded anyway and I will Uber to surrounding pockets, etc for other dining options.

The service, rooms, and club are what make me return to the HR every month now. I've never had an issue getting an upgrade (I don't know if you have status) with a gorgeous view in a larger room. If there is a junior suite available when I check in, they have never had a problem transferring me. The club is currently under renovation, so it is in a larger suite on the 33rd floor, but it will be ready in 7 weeks. The Hyatt Mag Mile, while not having a club, does not have any rooms with tremendous views because they are not taller than any of the buildings surrounding them. Light is important to me, so I'd rather be starring at a river than Northwestern's medical building (you should request opposite, if you do stay).

BIG Bar has great servers and is a decent place to have drinks and/or some apps. It's a little on the pricey side (of course, no different at any of the others), but you pay for convenience.

The best part is that the HR is usually cheaper and you can get weekend rates right around the $100/night mark. This is because they have two towers of 34 floors each that they need to sell-out.

So maybe the HR isn't right in the heart of Mag Mile, but I like to say that it's my great little oasis away from the strip. A little more peaceful with my view of the river and less noise from Mag Mile.

I don't know if you will be driving out, but if you are, I can give you some ideas on cheaper options to park by either hotels!

Just have to be honest! Regardless of where you stay (if you stay on Michigan), like someone said above me, you will probably take the L or a cab to Wrigleyville. I would say pick a location based on value and ease of transportation (whether you like to walk or not).

Edit: I didn't mention anything about HP River North! I don't think it's that exciting of a location or hotel for a tourist. About a 15-20 minute walk from the mile, depending how far north you want to go. You can take the L right on the corner of Illinois/Clark to get anywhere as well. Although, if you do not have status and want a free breakfast, this is the place for you as all Hyatt Place's feature free buffet-style breakfast.
Thanks for the feedback. We'll keep what you said in mind.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebat
OK. we'll avoid that one.

Yes, I mean the Hyatt Place Chicago/River North. It looks nice from the web page. Are there a lot of shops/eataries/sites within walking distance of this hotel? We are inclined to choose this one because we need cat 4 and this one looks good.
I think the Magnificent Mile is cat 5 and my free nights are only good to cat 4.
Yes River North is one of the premier dining districts in the city.

Very close by (but you will need reservations several weeks in advance and can use open table for most) are:

The list above is by no means exhaustive ... it would be easier to recommend if you provide ideas of what you like and if you want upscale, mid or budget (which is tough in that area).
    Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:13 am

I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency and didn't see anything wrong with it. But I don't see anything wrong with the location of the Hyatt Place, either. You can find the red line stations very easily on Google maps. In the downtown area, the red line runs underneath State St. From the Regency, the nearest red line station would be Lake St. station.

I wouldn't recommend trying to find something to eat by Wrigley, there are much better options downtown. After the games, you can walk a couple of blocks north of Wrigley to the Sheridan station, as an alternative to the post-game crowds at the Addison station. Of course, the cars will fill up as soon as you get to Addison.

If you do stay at the Regency and are not diamond, I recommend Wildberry Pancakes & Café for breakfast, located a couple of blocks behind the hotel and right across from Millennium Park (which I also highly recommend checking out).
    Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
    I too live in the City, and have stayed at all of these hotels, except River North. As a Chicagoan, I love the River North Area. Lot's of restaurants in the area, and nearby to most of the city sights walking.

Hyatt Wacker, which may seem to a local, far from things, it's not for a Tourist. The location is a nice location, Chicago River Taxi's and tours, to museums, Art Institue, Millenium Park and Mag Mile. I really don't see anything wrong with Hyatt Wacker. I would pick HRC if you can get a cheap rate, which as many others have said, 99 a night on a weekend is possible.

Hyatt Mag Mile, I have stayed here, when it was a Wyndham, the noise from Northwestern Hospital is awful, if you are a light sleeper, the ambulance noise will wake you up. For a tourist, I would say this is not a bad option, if price is right.

Park Hyatt, avoid at all cost(my opinion on service). Good location, and one of the only Hyatt's that I have been treated badly at.

I honestly would pick HRC if price was good, I like the River North Area, so I would put that up there also.

HRC
    Hyatt Place
    Hyatt Mag Mile
    Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
    Originally Posted by LASUA1K
    I too live in the City, and have stayed at all of these hotels, except River North. As a Chicagoan, I love the River North Area. Lot's of restaurants in the area, and nearby to most of the city sights walking.

Hyatt Wacker, which may seem to a local, far from things, it's not for a Tourist. The location is a nice location, Chicago River Taxi's and tours, to museums, Art Institue, Millenium Park and Mag Mile. I really don't see anything wrong with Hyatt Wacker. I would pick HRC if you can get a cheap rate, which as many others have said, 99 a night on a weekend is possible.

Hyatt Mag Mile, I have stayed here, when it was a Wyndham, the noise from Northwestern Hospital is awful, if you are a light sleeper, the ambulance noise will wake you up. For a tourist, I would say this is not a bad option, if price is right.

Park Hyatt, avoid at all cost(my opinion on service). Good location, and one of the only Hyatt's that I have been treated badly at.

I honestly would pick HRC if price was good, I like the River North Area, so I would put that up there also.

HRC
    Hyatt Place
    Hyatt Mag Mile
    We stayed at hyatt regency last year and thought location was great. close to michigan ave and other close to trains.
    siena tavern was great late nite bites
    au cheval had the best burgers i ever had
    Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
    Just had a quick 2 night stay at the Hyatt Place Chicago River North. Overall great property in a good location. Have added my comments and also some room pics to the hotels Master Thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

Last edited by christianj; Mar 28, 2014 at 7:20 am
    Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
    Any updates on PH service - is it still as bad as before?
    Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
    There is very good Italian food at Mia Francesca which is walking distance from Wrigley.
    Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
    Nice to see this thread - I'm starting a project in downtown Chicago in April

Currently booked at Hyatt Mag Mile, as the HR didn't have my corp rate available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.