Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Andaz Sandiego or HR Mission Bay

Which one would you recommend and why?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Both locations are completely different, as are the rates...... so really depends on what you want.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What do you like to do while on vacation? As my home, I'll give you some quick activities that commence at both locations:

Mission Bay: Tranquil (although close to the 5), older hotel, and you will need a car. Close to Old Town for some good mexi food, as well as about 10 minutes to Downtown. It will probably be a little cold to get in the Bay (depending on when you go, and it often is polluted), but you could participate in a bunch of water activities. It's also one of my favorite places to ride a bike--great [cement] trails and kiddie parks. Close to La Jolla (well, closer than the Andaz), which I assume will be one of your attractions. Also close to Sea World, if you are planning to attend.

Andaz: Gaslamp, gaslamp, gaslamp. Great restaurants, nightlife, and overall urban community. You have the ballpark nearby (not sure when you're looking to go) and are on 6th avenue, so you will have an easy time getting to 4th and 5th avenues (Gaslamp). If you plan to get a car, it is also close to Mission Bay, Sea World, and La Jolla. You can take the trolley to get to Mission Valley or Old Town.

Overall, I would pick the Andaz, but that is also because I have never seen much reason as to why someone would want to stay at Mission Bay? Maybe past bad times with all of the pollution and never being able to actually get in the water as a kid? Other than that though (someone please shed other light), Andaz gives you everything you want, and if you really wanted to hit up the Bay, you could make it a 1/2 or 1 day trip.

Both locations are completely different, as are the rates
And... yess...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And why limit yourself to 2 properties... the GH is actually quite nice as well. Same area as the Andaz and the rates can be substantially lower (or sometimes substantially higher as well).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
95% of the guests staying at the Andaz were not born, probably not even planned on the day the Regency Mission Bay aka Islandia opened its doors.

The sea lions on the pier are sensational for me as a Western European, but the Grand is the best Hyatt in town. Aviara is not located in San Diego and depending on the traffic an hour away.

If you have to be in downtown San Diego, the Sheraton Suites are a good alternative as well.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RTW1
And why limit yourself to 2 properties... the GH is actually quite nice as well. Same area as the Andaz and the rates can be substantially lower (or sometimes substantially higher as well).
Agree. One of my favorite hotels downtown. The lobby/center is absolutely beautiful and the rooms have gorgeous views of Coronado and the San Diego Bay.

Aviara is in Carlsbad, so not necessary unless you want seclusion/to be far from the water.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:27 am

I agree with what everyone else is saying...depends on what you're really looking to get out of your stay. I've stayed at the Regency 3-4 times for conferences, and it's fine and all, but definitely an older property and without anything nearby to walk to. A car or taxi will definitely be a must if you plan on doing any exploring.

The Andaz is in a great location if you want to get out and about. I've only stayed there twice, and noticed that it was much younger crowd staying there...but a good hotel overall if you're just visiting San Diego for fun.

I've never stayed at the Grand, but have heard great things about it. I have some meetings in SD next month, and I went ahead and booked the Grand to see what it's all about.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:06 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Are you traveling with children? If so, Mission Bay might be a better choice.

If not, and you are younger, and like the nightclub scene, Andaz would be a good choice, reports are that it can be noisy especially on weekends.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
Both locations are completely different, as are the rates...... so really depends on what you want.
The rates I got are close +/-$10 per night.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
My kids love the Grand. I love the Andaz when traveling alone. But the Grand is a nice property with good service!!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Are you traveling with children? If so, Mission Bay might be a better choice.

If not, and you are younger, and like the nightclub scene, Andaz would be a good choice, reports are that it can be noisy especially on weekends.
Yes we will be travelling with kids.

From the pictures my impression was, that Mission Bay looks fairly old and critics were not to good either.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think the Andaz is good if you're with kids.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think the Andaz is good if you're with kids.
I agree. It has a popular nightclub. It's a real party scene on weekends. When the music is playing it reverbrates thru the entire hotel.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I agree. It has a popular nightclub. It's a real party scene on weekends. When the music is playing it reverbrates thru the entire hotel.
We will be there during the week. And $139 are an attractive rate.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by peter42
We will be there during the week. And $139 are an attractive rate.
It looks like you've made a decision for yourself!

I would choose the Grand if I had kids with me... Depends what days during the week you are there for.

The Ivy (Andaz nightclub) is actually closed, but they do have a rooftop bar that is pretty chic. I believe it's open Thursday-Saturday until 2 or 3 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.