Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Just access to the spa was free, not any of the spa services. So if they implement the change you would have to pay to access the spa if you didn't have a spa service booked.
You are correct. Sorry my initial post was not clear. My wife went to the spa and had access to hot tub, steam rooms, showers, amenities for free. Attendant said they will start charging May 1st. Not sure if they will waive fees for Diamonds.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by isaifan
Just to add, while asking using the Spa facilities, the attendant stated that they will start charging starting May 1st. Can anyone confirm if this has started?
I accessed the spa facilities on May 3, I'm a Diamond, and I was not charged. I was not aware that they were on Day 3 of charging everyone else just to use the spa facilities.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Odd accounting issue. Today, 50K got deducted from my GHP account. When I called GHP, they said that my points stay in December 2013 had not been deducted properly.

I don't keep super close tabs on my balance but I could have sworn that the numbers looked right in terms of deductions back then. No way to prove that though.

I understand if they're owed those points but really - it's May? :/
Old May 9, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
I thought about that but I don't see how a 21 day window does that. For some reason, possibly local, they want to lock in sold inventory very early. But a hotel as popular as the Andaz shouldn't need to worry about lost sales (unless they are not as popular as we assume). FWIW-the Hyatt Regency has a one week cancellation window for the same period.
I will explain this to the non-hotel folks who don't understand yield management, and how certain properties handle inventory. You're welcome in advance.

A property like the Maui Andaz is virtually ALL transient. There is very little group business at a tiny, boutique resort property like this one, and the group business they book is for very small incentives - usually no more than 100 people TOPS, with peak rooms of 50. Also, being a resort, the chance for walk-in traffic is nearly nil. There isn't going to be an air drop, overflow convention rooms, people passing through and needing a room at the last minute, etc. The business is vacationers, honeymooners, incentives, and local social.

Most people book a destination vacation well in advance- months in fact, not within 3 weeks of arrival. Hawaii moreso than mainland resort destinations, obviously because of the lift. If you allow a liberal cancellation policy for rooms that don't have a high chance of being sold within this window, you end up with an empty box, and you're doing a horrible job of maximizing inventory.

Anyhow, I will be arriving at this property next week, and will report back if my experience varies from the other nicely-detailed trip reports.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by DesertFlier
I will explain this to the non-hotel folks who don't understand yield management, and how certain properties handle inventory. You're welcome in advance.

A property like the Maui Andaz is virtually ALL transient. There is very little group business at a tiny, boutique resort property like this one, and the group business they book is for very small incentives - usually no more than 100 people TOPS, with peak rooms of 50. Also, being a resort, the chance for walk-in traffic is nearly nil. There isn't going to be an air drop, overflow convention rooms, people passing through and needing a room at the last minute, etc. The business is vacationers, honeymooners, incentives, and local social.

Most people book a destination vacation well in advance- months in fact, not within 3 weeks of arrival. Hawaii moreso than mainland resort destinations, obviously because of the lift. If you allow a liberal cancellation policy for rooms that don't have a high chance of being sold within this window, you end up with an empty box, and you're doing a horrible job of maximizing inventory.

Anyhow, I will be arriving at this property next week, and will report back if my experience varies from the other nicely-detailed trip reports.
Thanks for your viewpoint. As a non-hotel folk, I am more concerned about my own yield management and how I allocate my funds. And that includes not locking them into a pricey hotel three weeks in advance. Fortunately, as I know from experience, many other Maui properties do not have such a policy. So unless I am determined to ride the trendiest wave I have other options.
Old May 10, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Does this site have a vip manager? I have an upcoming stay and have a few requests.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by isaifan
I have been ruined by this hotel as all my future hotel stays will be compared to this one. There is no match. We had a wonderful stay at the Andaz last week. From check-in to check-out, the stay was perfect. The physical facilities, rooms, pools were absolutely wonderful. The breakfast buffet and staff, put it over the top.

We used a suite upgrade and were put in a suite on the "south" wing (don't remember the names of the wings). This room doesn't have the weird angel/corner of the "center" building and much more quite. I would definitely request being put in one of the wings. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was full of amenities highlighted by a Japanese toilet

As a Diamond, we had breakfast at the cafe each morning. Oh my, I'm stilll dreaming of the breakfast. Everything you can possible think of, they have. It is all of the highest quality ingredients but made very simply. The cinnamon role pancakes were amazing. We mentioned to one of the staff that we liked them, and they brought us out a huge plate every morning without asking. Also, the fresh fruits were delicious. If you ask even for a simple banana, the staff will bring you a banana presented nicely, along with a heap of other fruit for you to try. Even if we had to pay the $45 per person, it would be worth it.

All the staff we interacted with were spectacular. They all remember the little details and ask you about your day, your trip, etc. We were never told "No". They have the ability and power to make your stay even better. We asked one of the staff where we can buy beach toys for our daughter. When we returned to our room, we found some beach toys, stuffed animals, and a giant pale filled with crayons with a note to enjoy the rest of our stay. It is these small touches that make the hotel special.

This was a spectacular stay and a fabulous use of the 2 free credit card nights or cash and points. Overall, The best way I would describe this hotel is as if you were staying at your rich uncle's house and he was doing everything possible to make you happy and enjoy your stay. We will definitely try to be back.

P.S. Definitely take the full loop around the island if you are doing the Road to Hana. The difference in ecology and scenery between the North and South is mind blowing.
no doubt about Hana Hwy. we finished the loop a few hours ago and checked in to Andaz about two hours ago. corner Andaz suite in middle tower which is fine and incredible. I actually liked the southern portion of Hana Hwy more than the northeastern. having a 4-door wrangler made it that much more enjoyable tho.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Fairmont now has a resort fee, and a self/valet parking fee. Things indeed changed over the years there as well. Whereabouts the south side of Fairmont is the free parking. I'm assuming its not on the Fairmont property itself.
parking is included in the resort fee. it's not 2 separate charges. I know this because I just check out of there 16 hours ago
Old May 12, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond

This hotel is a great quiet hotel. We got upgraded to large suite with a plunge pool. Couldn't ask for a more relaxing trip. The ocean is great, beach is a little small and today we had a lot jelly fish but yesterday none. We will be back here again.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:21 pm
formerly ffactoryxx

I see some websites showing double king rooms and double deluxe rooms. What are they?
Old May 14, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Not sure what you are looking at but rooms have either two queens or one king bed. No such thing as two king bedded rooms unless you were looking at the villas? Just completed a stay there and it was excellent. I plan to post more details later.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Manager's Reception

I am going to Andaz for my honeymoon in November. I've seen a number of people post about the Manager's Reception with free snacks and cocktails. Is this reception every night? If not, which nights do they have it? Thanks!
Old May 15, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by carlwoz1
I am going to Andaz for my honeymoon in November. I've seen a number of people post about the Manager's Reception with free snacks and cocktails. Is this reception every night? If not, which nights do they have it? Thanks!
It's on Mondays and Fridays. Unfortunately, I missed it when I was there two weeks ago.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: A few
Is there any good diving available near this property?
Old May 19, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Is there any good diving available near this property?
Define "near"

Closest is the Utila reef, immediately in front of the hotel, and there are dozens of shore divers doing that very beginner friendly reef each day. (I only free dive it, but I saw manta rays there "beginner" doesn't mean boring, depending on your luck.

I have a very detailed post upthread about the many reefs as one heads south, many of them just OK for shore diving (but very good for snorkeling).

There are two really nice shore dives further south - Makena Landing (a/k/a Five Caves a/k/a Five Graves, and the Red Hill cave area (hill between Black Sand Beach and Little Beach). Bot of these are quite shallow (don't think I ever made it 35 ft. deep), but very good shore dives with sharks, mantas, spotted eagle rays, and of course lots of turtles and eels.

If "near" includes boat dives, do a trip to Molokini (but only if you are guaranteed to do the outer wall drift dive - inside the crater is too beginner) - lots of nudibranches and the rare shark (possible whale shark with lots of luck). There are also more elaborate boat dives (full day) to Lanai (Pillars and Cathedral) and Molokai (hammerhead dive - check your seasons).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.