Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Also, I like Maui, but where is the food great? This is a serious question; the one thing that I don't like about it is that I've never really had good food there.
Caviar at Spago with Hash Brown blinis. I would fly 8 hours for that. Pretty reasonably priced to for Spago/Maui/Caviar.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:05 am

Any opinions if this hotel is worth the 40k points as compared to the HR Maui or HRC Maui? I have 5 nights booked between the HR Maui (25k pts/night) and HRC Maui ($800+/night) in August, but willing to consider switching out a day or two into the Andaz only if points availability comes up during my dates.

Reasons to consider Andaz:
Stay/explore Wailea
Another badge for brand explorer
Potential free globalist breakfast/any other benefits I may get here, that I would not get at the HRC Maui.

Reasons to not consider Andaz:
More points needed
Significantly smaller room than I would get at the HRC Maui's 1 bedroom suite (I am considering room size to be comparable to the HR Maui)
Wailea seems to be geared more toward older people with money to spend. Lahaina is more for families with young kids (my demographic)

Unsure:
Weather differences in August for the two parts of the island?
Old May 25, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really doubt you'll see rooms come up in August for points at all, and if you do, they'll generally be for a minimum of three nights.

I've never stayed at the HR, but I like it more than the HRC (which I don't like all that much).

No question, you'll get better weather in Wailea.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I really doubt you'll see rooms come up in August for points at all, and if you do, they'll generally be for a minimum of three nights.

I've never stayed at the HR, but I like it more than the HRC (which I don't like all that much).

I have noticed 1 or 2 point nights come up a few weeks or days before. Likely last minute cancellations so I am looking into the possibility that may be the case in late July/early august.

curious what it is about the HR that you like “much more” than the HRC? Outside of no globalist benefits, the HRC rooms are nice and big
Old May 25, 2022, 11:16 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Why would you say that ? The 2 locations are just 30 miles apart and very similar in that they are both on the west side of a substantial mountain peak. The average and record temps are within a degree or two of each other and both locales are typically very dry in August.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by skj
Why would you say that ? The 2 locations are just 30 miles apart and very similar in that they are both on the west side of a substantial mountain peak. The average and record temps are within a degree or two of each other and both locales are typically very dry in August.
30 miles is half an island (not literally). It's about micro climates and mountain elevations. It's a little dependent on the month, but Kaanapali north to Honolua is most certainly in general cloudier (marine foggy-er) than Kihel to Makena (where Wailea is).
Old May 25, 2022, 12:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would prefer HR Maui to Andaz Maui at the same points, let alone a 15k difference. HRM has more space inside and outside. Andaz feels cramped, as if it were wedged tightly into a limited beachfront, which it is.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seagull689
I have noticed 1 or 2 point nights come up a few weeks or days before. Likely last minute cancellations so I am looking into the possibility that may be the case in late July/early august.

curious what it is about the HR that you like “much more” than the HRC? Outside of no globalist benefits, the HRC rooms are nice and big
Having not stayed there, I can't compare the rooms. But HR has a nicer lobby and pool, to me. HRC feels like a condo complex to me - not a resort.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Having not stayed there, I can't compare the rooms. But HR has a nicer lobby and pool, to me. HRC feels like a condo complex to me - not a resort.
On the plus side, HRC rooms are more like HR suites in terms of size plus have kitchens/laundry in the units. On the minus side HRC feels more like a condo vs. hotel, grounds aren't as nice, and decor feels more dated vs. HR rooms which have been updated more recently (though HRC is not bad -- nice finishes, just not the current style/colors). Last December we stayed in Deluxe Ocean Suite at HR and One-Bedroom at HRC and personally would take HR in a heartbeat for that room category (even at higher point level). However if you are booking a standard room at HR or value kitchen/laundry, HRC is not a bad alternative and can be an excellent point value. Ocean views from both can be fantastic, far nicer than we've ever had at Andaz Maui or Grand Hyatt Kauai (even in the premium suites). The only other Hawaiian Hyatt we've stayed at with a comparable ocean front view is Hana Maui Resort in the deluxe beachfront bungalows.
josephstern likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trivia question. Who can guess the room? Some Globalist knows what I'm talking about.

Guess the room
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
30 miles is half an island (not literally). It's about micro climates and mountain elevations. It's a little dependent on the month, but Kaanapali north to Honolua is most certainly in general cloudier (marine foggy-er) than Kihel to Makena (where Wailea is).
Having been to Maui so many times, I personally prefer the Wailea area than Kaanapali. Kaanapali is way too crowded to my liking. The beach in Wailea is calmer, the beach at Andaz Maui is even less crowded compared to Grand Wailea nearby.
UA-NYC and Yaddablahblah like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by frenchie2
Having been to Maui so many times, I personally prefer the Wailea area than Kaanapali. Kaanapali is way too crowded to my liking. The beach in Wailea is calmer, the beach at Andaz Maui is even less crowded compared to Grand Wailea nearby.
All depends on what one is into. Kaanapali/Lahaina has more crowds (as you note) - young singles might like that lol.
Honolua is the best spot (between the two noted) for surfing.
Lahaina > Kihei IMO for vibe, shopping, bars...
Honokawai to Nipili offers more affordable VRBOs than Kihei

But for my tastes, I'm with you, and especially Andaz>Regency.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by frenchie2
Would you say it is because Wailea caters to the high end tourists, while Kaanapali is more for the budget/family tourists?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seagull689
Would you say it is because Wailea caters to the high end tourists, while Kaanapali is more for the budget/family tourists?
Wailea is maybe for high-end tourists, but it's adjacent to Kihei, which is as budget friendly as Kaanapali - maybe even moreso.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Wailea is maybe for high-end tourists, but it's adjacent to Kihei, which is as budget friendly as Kaanapali - maybe even moreso.
I agree. There are plenty of family that stay in Wailea such as the Grand Wailea and the Marriott & Residence Inn. Kihei is much older community, even older than Kaanapali, and not as many condo/hotels directly on the beach. One of the trips I stayed in Maalaea and rented a condo. The area is not crowded but only a few old buildings, you do all the shopping in Kihei. Location is nice, halfway between Wailea and Kaanapali. There is nothing within walking distance so you have to drive everywhere!

Wailea still my favorite ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.