FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

liftingbrosef Feb 7, 2015 6:41 pm

I booked a Points+Cash stay for the end of March several months ago for our honeymoon. With the easy path to Diamond gone and no hope of DSU's, would I be able to use points to upgrade to a suite? Not sure if that is allowed on P+C bookings.

Whatever room we get, suite or not, we are super excited. First trip to Hawaii.

m0hamed Feb 7, 2015 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by liftingbrosef (Post 24310574)
I booked a Points+Cash stay for the end of March several months ago for our honeymoon. With the easy path to Diamond gone and no hope of DSU's, would I be able to use points to upgrade to a suite? Not sure if that is allowed on P+C bookings.

Whatever room we get, suite or not, we are super excited. First trip to Hawaii.

No. You can only use a DSU or negotiate a cash upgrade with theproperty .

hailstorm Feb 7, 2015 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by liftingbrosef (Post 24310574)

At any Hyatt, points can only be used for suite upgrades on rooms reserved at Hyatt Daily Rate.

l etoile Feb 10, 2015 9:24 am

Wackydream: Your check-in experience was mine, almost verbatim, except I had a female. She asked if it was my first time to Maui. It was my third time to that hotel and I'd guess 40th time to Maui. But yes, it was also then used as a reason to not say anything about the property, even after I said I knew there had been some changes and asked if she could go over them. She waved me off and said it was all in the envelope, or I'd hear about it at breakfast. Never a smile or welcome. Then, while waiting for the suite to be ready, she approached and said my credit card was expired. I said no, that it was not. I handed it back to her. She reran it. Clearly, she did something wrong, but no apology just an attitude of blaming the guest for her error. Anyway, it was interesting to read your experience and see that "first time in Hawaii/Maui" question appears to be part of a dismissive script.

The restaurant staff was still truly kind. I also was able to substitute the breakfast sides for a green juice - surely a good deal for them.

After six nights, I went to the Kea Lani for two. World of difference in welcoming attitude. What was sad it Andaz used to be that welcoming too. They're, unfortunately, doing some screwy things there with service. The original offerings were clearly not sustainable, but the lack of warmth and failure to do basics of service - smile, greet, welcome guests - are unfortunate. The restaurant manager gets it right though.

I'm in Maui again now, but did not consider Andaz.

HSaxa Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Heading to the Andaz next week for 4 nights with wife and 5 yr old daughter on points (so garden view is booked). I am a Diamond who would love to hear about people who have be successful at upgrading on the day of their arrival - either using points on cash. Advice and past experiences welcomed.

devik Feb 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by HSaxa (Post 24326617)
Heading to the Andaz next week for 4 nights with wife and 5 yr old daughter on points (so garden view is booked). I am a Diamond who would love to hear about people who have be successful at upgrading on the day of their arrival - either using points on cash. Advice and past experiences welcomed.

We were offered an upgrade to ocean view room for around $150/night (though next week capacity could be tight based on the holiday and who knows if that would be available). Just recognize that those rooms are pretty small. Might be fine for the three of you or might be a little tight if your daughter has a lot of energy. :cool:

cmjaffe Feb 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Just don't willingly accept a parking lot view room

If checking on line before you actually check in...
We did that... was traveling with kids so needed a double bedded room. Was told the hotel was sold out.. was given a room with a view of the parking lot (not even garden view) where the parking attendant could easily look into room if privacy sheers weren't pulled. Waved to them, they waved back... Luckily pressed the issue and the moved us the next day == to a handicap partial ocean view room. Better view of course but with a price to pay... the closet was handicap and very little drawer space.. and storage since it was a wheelchair accesible... was a bit challenging with four for a week long stay.. That was in August in the midst of the Diamond downgrades (on 3rd night of stay).
Hope you have an enjoyable stay

hailstorm Feb 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe (Post 24327605)
If checking on line before you actually check in...
We did that... was traveling with kids so needed a double bedded room. Was told the hotel was sold out.. was given a room with a view of the parking lot (not even garden view) where the parking attendant could easily look into room if privacy sheers weren't pulled. Waved to them, they waved back... Luckily pressed the issue and the moved us the next day == to a handicap partial ocean view room. Better view of course but with a price to pay... the closet was handicap and very little drawer space.. and storage since it was a wheelchair accesible... was a bit challenging with four for a week long stay.. That was in August in the midst of the Diamond downgrades (on 3rd night of stay).
Hope you have an enjoyable stay

We stayed in a C&P suite that is no longer possible, just a couple of weeks before the downgrades.

I'm pretty sure I will never stay here again for fear of tarnishing my current memories of this property, as our recent stay at the Grand Wailea did to my memories of my prior stay there in the 90's.

It makes me sad to think of what this resort will become 10 years from now.

exmike Feb 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I wonder if Hyatt reads these boards closely. Perhaps we're just a vocal minority, but I for one will not be going back. I wonder if they have seen a downtick in book rates.

RTW1 Feb 11, 2015 1:45 am

Originally Posted by exmike (Post 24328461)
I wonder if they have seen a downtick in book rates.

On average occupancy has been on the rise... so they can probably afford to what they do, although if it's the smart thing to do is something different.
But on average the Diamond benefits have been on the decline at most of the Hawaiian properties, too many Diamonds there I guess.

canyonleo Feb 11, 2015 10:28 am

Originally Posted by exmike (Post 24328461)
I wonder if Hyatt reads these boards closely. Perhaps we're just a vocal minority, but I for one will not be going back. I wonder if they have seen a downtick in book rates.

I would say a very small minority. I'll go back in a heartbeat. While the initial breakfast was amazing, I can go without a big breakfast... I'm barely in my room so the small non-functional room doesn't bother me... I don't use the spa. For me, it's all about location (which can't be beat) and using points for a free room (not C&P). This property still hits it on both of those, with no competition from Hyatt (other than HR, but that's a different location). The Marriott isn't competition for me (horrible loyalty program, not a nice property), nor is the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea or Fairmont (out of my business travel price range for my company's spend).

m0hamed Feb 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Doesn't a non Diamond paying for a suite, breakfast etc generate more revenue than a Diamond using a DSU? Hotels are concerned with average room rate not whether Diamonds value the property.

The hotel pricing is closer to the St Regis Princeville which people are clearly willing to pay.

JetAway Feb 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 24334067)
Doesn't a non Diamond paying for a suite, breakfast etc generate more revenue than a Diamond using a DSU? Hotels are concerned with average room rate not whether Diamonds value the property.

The hotel pricing is closer to the St Regis Princeville which people are clearly willing to pay.

But it's not a St. Regis.

m0hamed Feb 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 24334294)
But it's not a St. Regis.

Even in the Bali Hai Suite at the StR, we preferred the full ocean view suite we received at the Andaz. The food is better, it's less stuffy and we enjoyed the pool more.

The Andaz is the most modern and newest property in Wailea. It should demand a premium which clearly people are wiling to pay.

weezal Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Points + Cash availability at Andaz Maui

I thought Andaz Maui got rid of P+C reservations completely a while back? Of all the various dates and months I've inquired about with the HGP phone agent, never hit one open night. Posts in this thread in the past week have mentioned P+C again. I'm staying there end of Feb and would love to use a DSU, but can't currently on points booking.