Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joachimm
Yeah I just noticed no cancellation, makes it quite risky I think I'd pass and if I needed to be in Western Europe for 4-6 weeks but no specific location I'd break it up into multiple locations, take the opportunity to see a few cities.
There is a 72 hour cancellation period for the dates I’ve looked at.
joachimm likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by coleslaw
The rate is good through to the end of the year (as of right now... I don’t expect that to last for long).
450 to 500 US dollars per night in July That's a lot of coleslaw!
Lucky you
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
450 to 500 US dollars per night in July That's a lot of coleslaw!
Lucky you
29 night minimum stay! Otherwise it’s $$$
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:57 pm

29 night minimum stay! Otherwise it’s $$$
I spent thousands of nights in hotels but never stayed longer than a few weeks in one hotel anywhere in the world!
That's a lot of nights!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Booked the Great Relocate here for 29 days starting in mid-July at $144 (including taxes). This property has been on my list for a long time, but has always been just plain too pricey given the alternatives each time I've come to town. But at 70% off the regular advance purchase rate for that time of year (and even 65% off the long term stay rate), this is a no-brainer. If it starts to feel like I've been there a long time after 10 days, I'll just remind myself that it is basically a Buy 9 Nights, Get 20 Nights Free rate.

I've never stayed in any hotel longer than 10 nights. Of all the Great Relocate options, however, the Andaz Amsterdam has one particular advantage: quick, easy access to other places. A train hop for a full day-trip in The Hague or Rotterdam. Half day-trips in Brussels or Dusseldorf or even Denmark or France. The rail station is blocks from the hotel. Even better, the airport is super simple and convenient, and in two hours you can be all over Europe for under a hundred bucks. That's in addition to the lively, interesting, diversity of Amsterdam itself, as beltway pointed out. I'll be working quarter-time during the stay, but I won't be getting bored or wanderlust.

The bill for the full stay is due more or less immediately (the hotel uses a supplementary payment system due to the magnitude of the charge, and gives you a few days to pay), but confirming what coleslaw noted, it is 100% refundable up to 72 hours prior to check-in.
beltway, platbrownguy and joachimm like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BoarderX
Of all the Great Relocate options, however, the Andaz Amsterdam has one particular advantage: quick, easy access to other places. A train hop for a full day-trip in The Hague or Rotterdam. Half day-trips in Brussels or Dusseldorf or even Denmark or France. The rail station is blocks from the hotel. Even better, the airport is super simple and convenient, and in two hours you can be all over Europe for under a hundred bucks.
True during normal circumstances. During COVID not so much... Completely wide open borders, no PCR testing, etc. seems unlikely for July 2021.

The Andaz willing to block book rooms for 100 euros in the summer should be your first clue...

Last edited by craigthemif; Feb 14, 2021 at 3:07 am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:24 pm

Suites at Andaz Amsterdam

I have noticed that its somewhat harder to use the suite upgrade compared to years past but I do know the property is very small and has a limited amount of up-gradable suite inventory
On the positive side as a guest since its opening and a Globalist I have never failed to see the hotel not bend over backwards to try and upgrade my reservation each and every time I return in the event
I cant confirm a suite in advance.Over time it has become one of my favorite Hyatt's of all time and I've always admired many that work there.
Would stay in almost any accommodation they have as I like the location and the way they make me feel as a guest and they have never yet let me down
typically exceeding expectations each and every time
For me a visit to Amsterdam isn't the same without a stay at Andaz Amsterdam.I wish the NYC properties would take a cue from them

I noticed that the suite we have stayed in 3 times prior is now a premium suite and not eligible for the Hyatt Suite Upgrade Award. It is called a 'Large Suite'. Did anyone else notice this?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by FayeRoy
I noticed that the suite we have stayed in 3 times prior is now a premium suite and not eligible for the Hyatt Suite Upgrade Award. It is called a 'Large Suite'. Did anyone else notice this?
Welcome to Flyertalk
Nothing would surprise me.Prior to the pandemic we saw select hotels in the past trying to take an ax to World Of Hyatt when it comes to honoring suite upgrades.
Not going to mention names
As we continue to come out of the pandemic I'm prepared for much more game playing.
Breakfast devaluations, suite inventory and in the not to distant future seasonal higher priced award redemption's (sigh)
Their best front of the house manager left the property prior to the pandemic and she was absolutely fantastic helping guests secure upgrades
Its anyone's guess now what the current situation is and what ownership might be trying to do.Its a small hotel and I'm sure its possible
But I suppose till others chime in I also don't want to shout guilty either.
This has always been one of favorite properties of mine and they have been great to me personally each and every stay
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:16 pm

Booked for one night with points. Upgraded to King Canal View prior to check in. The "Andaz Large Suite" was available, but I didn't bother asking in person since I didn't want to start the trip off on a sour note.

Breakfast is open again too.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by PilotH
Booked for one night with points. Upgraded to King Canal View prior to check in. The "Andaz Large Suite" was available, but I didn't bother asking in person since I didn't want to start the trip off on a sour note.

Breakfast is open again too.
The Andaz Large Suite is a premium suite, so you wouldn’t have been entitled to it as a globalist. It wouldn’t have hurt to ask if they had a suite available, but if all that was showing was the large suite then it sounds like you didn’t get anything less than you were entitled to.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:25 pm

The Andaz Large Suite is a premium suite, so you wouldn’t have been entitled to it as a globalist. It wouldn’t have hurt to ask if they had a suite available, but if all that was showing was the large suite then it sounds like you didn’t get anything less than you were entitled to.
Not sure if you've followed the thread, but their Standard Suite is a single suite in the hotel which is identical to the Andaz Large? So they're playing inventory games. Which if you're fine with then I can't really convince you to change your mind.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by PilotH
Not sure if you've followed the thread, but their Standard Suite is a single suite in the hotel which is identical to the Andaz Large? So they're playing inventory games. Which if you're fine with then I can't really convince you to change your mind.
It's frustrating when things like this change, sure. But they're being pretty transparent about it - the website is updated and shows which suites are standard vs. premium. Other Andaz properties (e.g. London) make the same distinction between standard Andaz Suites and premium Andaz Large Suites. So you at least know what you're entitled to before you arrive and don't feel cheated if/when you don't get it.

So as inventory games go, this one - I.E. introducing/changing suite type classifications - is more palatable than the properties that introduce minimum stay requirements that aren't published anywhere, blackout dates, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So as inventory games go, this one - I.E. introducing/changing suite type classifications - is more palatable than the properties that introduce minimum stay requirements that aren't published anywhere, blackout dates, etc.
If I read correctly, it's a little worse than that, in that they've carved out one suite as their sole "standard" suite, while calling identical suites "premium." But no worse than calling a nonsuite a suite (hello, PHNYC). And I agree the Andaz Maui/Hyatt Centric inventory games are worse.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:50 am

I have a simple solution to it all. I stop staying in a given property.
Unless I am in love and hypnotized by being there.Having said that there aren't to many properties I can say that about
But when stinginess and pettiness are the order of the day I simply find a plan B and move on
caliform likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:56 am

I have a simple solution to it all. I stop staying in a given property.
Unless I am in love and hypnotized by being there.Having said that there aren't to many properties I can say that about
But when stinginess and pettiness are the order of the day I simply find a plan B and move on
I don't disagree - if you feel strongly about something like this - but it's also key that you feed that back to Hyatt and/or the property directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.