Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
They told us last time I booked a suite (I was a GP Platinum) that they 'upgraded' us to the Large Suite

There's indeed only one real speciality suite.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:34 pm

After staying here in the fall of 2016, the DW & were eager to return. Except for some minor hiccups, it was aces all around once again during our stay last week.

From the moment we arrived--to a quick & friendly greeting, with coffee/tea/water offered instantly and an Explorist room upgrade/late checkout in the system I didn't have to ask for--staff hit all the right notes. Evening wine hour was attentively serviced; small requests like breaking a bill were handled swiftly & cheerfully. I'm not sure whether Hyatt sends only its best associates to work here or whether everyone just loves his/her job--but whatever the case, it's working.

The splashy Marcel Wanders interiors aren't for everyone, of course. Ditto for the room layouts, which are geared toward couples/intimate partners and not mere traveling companions.

But I don't know how you can improve on the location, with the Nine Streets, Jordaan, Leidseplein, and Spui all within easy walking distance.

Alas, this trip burned my last two Chase all-category certs, so it's 25K/night or cash from now on. The new Hyatt Regency on the east side (which we stopped in on to look around) seems nice enough on the inside, and it's eligible for cat 4 cert use (plus, exec lounge!), so we may give it a try the next time we come to Amsterdam. That said, the location isn't as convenient to the main tram lines & doesn't seem as interesting overall.
SF1K and caliform like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
My first few stays here were positively pedestrian, but my last few were so above and beyond that they put some Park Hyatts to shame. Definitely on par with your experience, beltway. I mentioned casually during checkin that my wife's mother (who was an interior designer) shares the eclectic taste of the designer of the hotel, laughing about it with my wife in a casual remark. When we returned from dinner we found a book detailing all the design of the hotel with a note from the GM saying it was a gift for my wife's mother. That's a touch of sublime hospitality.
SF1K and beltway like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The suite availability games they play here continue. Really sloppy this morning when they said they 'absolutely have a basic suite' available, then saw I was Globalist and quickly walked back on it to say they had none. Seriously? Wrote Hyatt Concierge on Twitter, this stuff is just unprofessional. I am not one of those Globs that feels like they're entitled to a suite, but don't dick people around.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by caliform
The suite availability games they play here continue. Really sloppy this morning when they said they 'absolutely have a basic suite' available, then saw I was Globalist and quickly walked back on it to say they had none. Seriously? Wrote Hyatt Concierge on Twitter, this stuff is just unprofessional. I am not one of those Globs that feels like they're entitled to a suite, but don't dick people around.
It seems like there’s more and more evidence of them trying to reduce Globalist upgrades - with or without TSUs (see Andaz Mayacoba thread)....

Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Just back from another inspiring stay at Andaz Amsterdam
Iit was simply brilliant even 6 years after opening
Its one of the better Andaz properties in the world.Solid team & service, great management, beautiful architecture and an outstanding suite upgrade
The breakfast is without question one of the best in Amsterdam
Only downside is the fitness center just lacking
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Iit was simply brilliant even 6 years after opening
Its one of the better Andaz properties in the world.Solid team & service, great management, beautiful architecture and an outstanding suite upgrade
The breakfast is without question one of the best in Amsterdam
You still need to make it out to Tokyo!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wanted to update on this. I am usually the last person to do this, but because of this absolutely poor show during check-in (telling me there was a basic suite, then coming back to talk to a manager and saying I can have it for 500 bucks a night) I sent a DM to Hyatt and got a call from the customer relations person (Lara, she's new — 3 months with the property) and they gave us an upgrade 'as an exception'. It was awkward and felt resentful, which is impressive coming from a hotel that is this nice when it comes to all their customer service.

It was nice to stay in the suite for a few days (it was the same one I had previously booked as an 'Andaz Suite' outright, so the Large Suite and Suite difference is total nonsense) but I have to say I hope it won't be this awkward again in the future or I'll go somewhere up the street to the Hoxton or Pullitzer. I've stayed at this hotel over a dozen times in the last two years and there's no sign of being recognized as a frequent guest outside of resentment from the management that I know how things work around here.

I've also found the team turnover to be absolutely insane: only one person I've seen in the last two and a half years is still around, and nobody speaks Dutch here. People seem on edge and nervous, and while the product is good, the property management seems ham-fisted. I feel like they should relax a little bit and perhaps chase less bottom line here to make it feel a bit less stiff, which would be consistent with their outward appearance.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Just got back from 4 nights here. Another exceptional stay. A wait listed TSU cleared and I got a nice Andaz Suite. Breakfast (and room service option) are still exceptional and one of the best in the Hyatt system. Hand written letter with fruit and pastries waiting in the room. Super friendly staff welcoming me back (i come every year) and asking me all the time what they can do.

Combine that with the location and actual building and amenities, and this remains my favorite property overall.

I will continue to save my Hyatt points solely for this hotel as I just thoroughly enjoy using them here
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
This hotel is hard to find a "standard suite" and use a TSU for in advance, but happy to report that in a late June stay I found TSU availability. A quick search on other dates showed more availability than normal. That would be a welcome change as I would happily burn my TSUs here
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Hello all. Anyone have experience with or knowledge of rooms that can handle a king bed + a rollaway? The website is silent, ,which may be accurate or just an oversight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by dingo
Hello all. Anyone have experience with or knowledge of rooms that can handle a king bed + a rollaway? The website is silent, ,which may be accurate or just an oversight.
Returned from another fantastic stay just a few weeks ago
One of my favorite Hyatt's in the world.Always a great team
My understanding is it is only allowed in the Large Garden View Rooms and all suites.Due to local fire laws
If there is any good news unlike some properties the roll away is complimentary last time I checked (recently) for another Hyatt guest in this forum
My advice is contact the hotel directly for the best answers or call Hyatt Reservations
Have a wonderful time if you do go.Its truly worth the tab here despite the higher room rates in Amsterdam generally
beltway likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Had a very nice stay here — 10 days this month. Routinely Park Hyatt-esque treatment, which is just great. Staff all knew my name, turndown service, seemingly-psychic room cleaning, free room service breakfast (is that new?)... I'm a huge fan. Left management a box of chocolates and a nice note (and bar staff, too!).
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I've been successful using a TSU once in 6 stays here. It upgrades you to the "Andaz Suite", but not the "Andaz Large Suite"

Almost every other room is available but an Andaz Suite. I've been trying random dates, random one night stays, etc, and I can't get an "Andaz Suite" to come up.

Something's a bit suspicious to me. Has anyone had luck recently, or can find any availability around an "Andaz Suite" in the near future?
For stays booked in advance, I looked at about a dozen random dates all the way to July 2020 and did not find any date with the Andaz Suite available. However for last minute stays I am finding some dates where the Andaz Suite is available.

Originally Posted by cascade
The hotel is scamming the Hyatt program. They have just one Andaz Suite in the entire hotel. That’s right, a singular standard suite.

What has been your suite upgrade success recently? You have been jerked around during that stay, but subsequently in the thread you were quite positive about this hotel. Are you satisfied in the standard rooms, or are you satisfied because you are now getting suites?

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
beautiful architecture and an outstanding suite upgrade
How did you get upgraded? Luck? Lots of great reviews here, but if suite upgrades are close to impossible based on only one suite being available, I would say it's a negative point about this property, a far bigger negative than the fitness center in my opinion regardless how weak it is.

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
This hotel is hard to find a "standard suite" and use a TSU for in advance, but happy to report that in a late June stay I found TSU availability. A quick search on other dates showed more availability than normal. That would be a welcome change as I would happily burn my TSUs here
Unfortunately it does not seem to be the case at this point in time.

Bottom line based on the reviews here I would be happy to book at Andaz, but if my chances of a suite are slim to none then I will book at W instead. I would take an inferior property where my odds of suite upgrades would be high instead of being almost guaranteed to be in a non-suite at Andaz; I think I will get more value for the money in a suite at W. But if someone has better experiences about upgrades than the bad reports regarding suite upgrades here then sounds like I will be better off at Andaz.

Last edited by escape4; Jul 6, 2019 at 7:18 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:33 am

I just came back this week from another great stay. Was able to get an Andaz Suite and loved every minute of it. It was my girlfriend's first time in Amsterdam and after staying at a houseboat, the Andaz Suite made a huge "wow" impression on her

Am looking to book a return trip in May 2020 and cannot find a single date with availability for the Andaz suite... so for now, will be booking the HR Amsterdam because the 5k/night difference is big on a 5 night stay and each date I look has a suite available.

I'll keep my eye out and if an Andaz suite does return to the inventory, I'll happily rebook there
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.