Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Living between SFO and SJC for the coming year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:05 am
Original Poster

I am planning to stay in the bay area for more than 300 nights starting this month. I am hoping to maximize hotel rewards etc. to find a suitable replacement for finding an apartment and at the same time live better.

Here are why this might work for me:
1. Elite status with Hyatt, Hilton, PriorityClub, Accor and Best Western
2. Plenty of hotels in this area
3. I have one luggage and I own a car, willing to mattress run
4. Tax benefit

I am hoping to put together a general strategy in terms of how do I make this work. Hyatt seems to have a decent promotion running which, according to a blog, equals to getting $500+rebate on every $1000 spent. And of course there are SPG and Marriott that I should be able to acquire a elite status with a fast track program. Any ideas?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by gbsaco
I am planning to stay in the bay area for more than 300 nights starting this month. I am hoping to maximize hotel rewards etc. to find a suitable replacement for finding an apartment and at the same time live better.

Here are why this might work for me:
1. Elite status with Hyatt, Hilton, PriorityClub, Accor and Best Western
2. Plenty of hotels in this area
3. I have one luggage and I own a car, willing to mattress run
4. Tax benefit

I am hoping to put together a general strategy in terms of how do I make this work. Hyatt seems to have a decent promotion running which, according to a blog, equals to getting $500+rebate on every $1000 spent. And of course there are SPG and Marriott that I should be able to acquire a elite status with a fast track program. Any ideas?
There are a number of variables here on what you want out of this...and you are bound to bet a number of widely carrying replies.

- Promotions vary by month for all hotel brands. So I would not simply look at the current promotion to decide.

- What are you goals? What are you looking to achieve? This too can greatly vary. Do you want "on-property" benefits and recognition? Maximum points? Point Flexibility? Value? Etc...

That said, I am torn on what I would do in your situation. In the past I lived in one hotel for 6+ months. There was something to be said for the recognition and service that I received "on-property". I netted little beyond that. Now, I have narrowed to two chains (Hyatt and Hilton)where I work to maintain top status and maximize points.

All of that said, when in N. Cal - I generally stay at Hyatts, all of which I like a lot. Avia Napa, Hyatt Vinyard Creak (Santa Rosa), Hyatt Fishermans Warf, Grand Hyatt SF, Hyatt Regency SFO, and Hyatt Regency Santa Clara - are my preferred (North to South).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Hyatt seems to have a decent promotion running which, according to a blog, equals to getting $500+rebate on every $1000 spent.
Could you please post a link to this blog?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I guess I am trying to control my per night spend to $150, or renting an apartment is what I would otherwise do. But I don't find many options in the Hyatt brand in this area other than Hyatt Place.

To further refine my answer, the "live better" part is important for me. I would definitely hope to have elite recognition. So I want to take a high approach to get the convenience of a frequent traveler while using the elite reward bonus to manage cost.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

boardingarea.com, the blog is called loyalty traveler, look under Hyatt. He is pretty good at math although I didn't really look into the calculations, or I could be misunderstanding
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For this volume it might be worthwhile to try and make a deal with one or more hotels..... you could probably get instant status or benefits and probably a decent rate.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by RTW1
For this volume it might be worthwhile to try and make a deal with one or more hotels..... you could probably get instant status or benefits and probably a decent rate.
I agree with this. Call a couple of the hotels and negotiate with them. Hyatt House may be a good option in the SJC area - have not stayed there as I prefer full service.

I do not know what mid-term rentals go for in this area so cannot comment on this...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:56 pm

I agree with negotiating for a long term rate. For your price point of $150/night, you won't find any Hyatts in that range during the weekdays. They're priced well above that and the only full service Hyatt that has favorable weekend rates is the HR Santa Clara.

HR SFO is doable on the weekends but the price isn't nearly as nice and they charge for parking. Free parking is available if you're willing to walk.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A bit OT, but why are you doing this? What are the "tax benefits" that you are expecting to enjoy.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:51 pm

You can get a lot of points on cheap weekend stays (< $100) at Hyatt Santa Clara if you have Diamond status or you can sign up and get in on a Diamond Challenge.

If you are Diamond, the RC is closed on weekends, so you will get base points + 20% diamond bonus, + 1000 pt welcome amenity bonus + 2500 pt bonus for closed RC + free breakfast. If there's a promotion at the same time, that just adds to the bonus.

-David
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
A bit OT, but why are you doing this? What are the "tax benefits" that you are expecting to enjoy.
+1.

What is your situation? Are clients paying for your stays? Are you running your own business?

Living in hotels adds quite a bit to expenses - meals, taxes/fees, possibly parking, occasionally long driving/tolls etc etc...

Most likely you'll be better off just renting a furnished studio - you'll save enough money to simply buy whatever equivalent in points you'll earn and without headaches and plenty of flexibility. Status adds some perks but not that much (and in other chains it's even less) and all those perks can be easily bought.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
boardingarea.com, the blog is called loyalty traveler, look under Hyatt. He is pretty good at math although I didn't really look into the calculations, or I could be misunderstanding
Found the evaluation you referenced.

It is discussing the Fall promo.

To achieve a "$500+rebate on every $1000" requires very specific circumstances, incl. rates, use of the Hyatt credit card, Diamond status bonuses, etc....

I live in the bay area and agree w/others - at the very least try to negotiate a long term stay - but for a year, a furnished apartment would seem like a better alternative, you should be able to find something permanent here that meets your requirements and falls w/in the 4500/month (150/night) price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.