Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I don't think this hotel can even find their game at the moment...
Indeed, we drove by the anticipated construction area. My very knowledgeable taxi driver stated that there is a lagoon on the RC property that is currently being studied to determine flooding issues... I'm not expecting construction to start any time soon.

In terms of what can be done, I think it's really on the hotel. St. kitts will never be a travel destination like other carribean options. The hotela are what make or break the trip. It needs to be like say Amans or other hotels where you go for that, and the locale is just a plus.
We didn't find the ferry to Nevis worth the cost, but mainly because we were just looking for a relaxing break, and while we wanted to hike and see Hamilton's house, we caved and just vegged out. Even if we wanted to go, I'm still not sure 120 pp round trip is worthwhile.
A car is definitely needed to explore, but again, I was reticent to do so because I have trouble adjusting to left side driving, the terrain is hilly without lighting, and I didn't want to stress myself.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:24 pm

Pretty impressive

We’ve been here for two nights so far and it’s been an amazing experience.

With luck, we managed to thread the needle of Florence and issac to get here, but it was worth it.

We booked using CityGuy Hyatt Prive after having a mishap with Citi Prestige 4th night benefit, and I believe it paid off.

As luck would have it, our room rate dropped from $300 to $240, but we lost the $300 per person benefit. But the decrease in rate made up for it and it gives us the freedom to eat outside hotel.

But the food here has been fantastic. We are doing the chefs table dinner tomorrow night.

We also got a double or triple upgrade to Park Hyatt Execuitve Suite which in my theory has been because I booked Hyatt Prive with CityGuy and not Citi concierge.

I get the sense not all Hyatt Prive agents are considered equal. Just my theory.

Even though theres suppose to be a confernce going on here, you would not be able to tell. All the pools and beaches are totally empty and nice. The beaches are fine. The seaweed is hardly an issue at all at this moment. I was at the andaz Mayakoba last month and the seaweed was horrible.

The sand at the beach doesn’t show well in pictures because the tan color sand is mixed with the black volcano sand. It’s not dirty, just doesn’t translate well in photos.

Waves have been choppy in the past few days so water activities have been cancelled.

We we rented a car from thrifty at the airport and that was easy. They are the only car rental company that is located at the airport and also swap cars at Nevis for free. You can leave your car parked at the port, take the peoples ferry over to Nevis for $10 each way and pick up the car in Nevis and tour the island for a day.

One tip regarding car rental. From all I read before I was told you have to buy a $24 3 month temp drivers license. However, thrifty rental agent said that if I had an international drivers license from Aaa, that would have been fine. I’m not sure how true that is but worth sharing.

Local rum is incredible and cheap $6 for a 750ml bottle.

I think this is as nice of a tropical Hyatt you’re going to get outside of Park Hyatt Maldives and Andaz Maui, which we have been to. We like this location better than any Hyatts in Mexico and almost as much as Andaz Maui.

Feel free to ask any questions while I’m still here.
Travlur and lotrbfme like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Amex MR, AA, HH, Chase Saphire
Hey, we we're there with you. We arrived Tuesday and left Saturday. Even though Issac was around, the short rain bursts and such did not deter us. We spent our first full day at the pool and then walked down to the shack bars, the second day we took our rental from Avis and lapped the island. Because of the storm there were no cruise boats in port and so we stopped at the fort and had it to ourselves. No joke. We finished at a BBQ place across from the Marriott and then Shipwreck, which might have become my fav hangout now. Loved it. The last day full day, a Friday, we hung at the pool, wasted time and relaxed in the plunge pool in our room and over drank!!! Finished at the Reggae bar for dinner. We love the hotel. Its not perfect. There are some service issues and I think the size of the property presents some challenges, but 90% of the staff is awesome. We tip, as American's do, knowing, especially after driving around the island, that they need the money more than we do, and enjoy all the interactions and help. When we go back, I am now interested in Thrifty. Avis was a bit of a hack and the rental agent apparently has never been to the airport given how she told us how to return the car. Luckily the place is so small that a few questions asked by us and we were good to go. Breakfast is on point, but not elaborate, the gym and water bottles are great, Nevis Suite is awesome, awesome views of Nevis, easy walk to "shanty bars" and the place is way away from everything (which is why a rental car becomes important) which for us, seems to fit the bill.
Travlur and lotrbfme like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My girlfriend and I recently enjoyed a 4 night stay at the Park Hyatt St. Kitt’s. Here are a few of my thoughts regarding the stay.
Arrival:
We had no issues collecting our luggage and getting a taxi to the hotel. The Park Hyatt was a 30 minute drive from SKB we got a taxi which was $35. Check in was very quick and we were given a golf cart tour of the property to orient ourselves. We arrived in the late afternoon/evening so the first night we did a night swim at the adult only pool which is private and overlooks the other, larger pool. Both of the pools are beautiful.
Room:
Every room on the property has a spectacular view of Nevis and the same view is seen from both of the pools. We had a room on the ground floor level of building 18 which was very spacious and felt brand new. The Le Labo toiletries were a treat.
Spa/Gym:
For our first full day at the resort we had a couple’s massage scheduled that morning at the Miraval Spa. The massage was great as were the facilities which guests have access to through their stay including the whirlpool, outdoor showers, steam room, and sauna. Each morning we started our day with a workout in the fitness center which was also beautiful itself and had all the equipment we needed to get a great workout in.
Dining:
The first night we ate dinner at The Fisherman’s Village. The seafood based menu looked great and every dish we had was excellent. The stand out dish from this meal was the octopus appetizer we tried.

The fitness center was just a short walk to The Great House so immediately after doing a quick workout, we would start our days with the expansive breakfast buffet which included any breakfast items imaginable. All of the staff was especially friendly and helpful at breakfast at The Great House everyday offering suggestions but then also becoming accustomed to our preferences after the first day. They knew that my girlfriend preferred soy milk for her coffee and it was there each day after the first one.

We ventured over to Cockelshell Beach one day and tried lunch at the Spice Mill which was pretty good and a nice change of pace to get a more local feel.
Our second night we tried dinner at The Great House which we loved too. Our favorite dish from this meal was the lobster appetizer we tried.

For our third dinner we tried The Stone Barn to complete trying all 3 of the restaurants on the property. We shared the seafood paella for our entree and loved this dish.
Overall all three of the dining venues were very good. They were definitely pricey, but I that is to be expected at a resort of this caliber like this in the Caribbean.
Things to do:
For the most part our days were spent by the pool or simply just exploring the property itself as this was our aim for this vacation. We simply wanted to swim, sit by the pool, and enjoy some sun.

We decided to venture out on our final full day and we took a boat ride to Nevis which we set up through the concierge. We spent about 4 hours on Nevis where we had lunch a Sunshine’s and hung out by the pool at the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons property is beautiful and we enjoyed our time there, but we were certainly happy to return to the privacy and seclusion at the Park Hyatt.

The concierge has a host of activities that are available to guests outside of the resort such as dune buggies and jet skis, however we didn’t partake in any of these as we chose to spend the majority of our time on the property.
Overall:
We were really happy with our experience at the Park Hyatt St. Kitt’s. We were looking for a vacation to just relax and we got exactly that. One thing that stood out was the friendly demeanor of the majority of the staff, my girlfriend sprained her ankle in while doing some exercises in the gym and the nurse was very helpful getting her a brace. The call to our room to follow up and check on how her sprained ankle was doing was a nice touch. That being said, the property is new so the landscaping has some maturing to do and service-wise there are definitely some things for them to work out. They definitely work on island time and we had to ask multiple times for certain things, but these didn’t both us much as we wanted to move at a slower pace on this trip. Occupancy was very low when we were there in August so we saw the same families and couples over and over, but we enjoy this type of peace and quiet (and most often seek it out). All in all, we enjoyed our stay.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know if either of the pools are heated yet? I remember seeing reviews from January/February and cold pools were a common complaint, but many mentioned that heating was scheduled to be installed within the following 6 months.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Does anyone know if either of the pools are heated yet? I remember seeing reviews from January/February and cold pools were a common complaint, but many mentioned that heating was scheduled to be installed within the following 6 months.
room pools were going to be heated but now there are not. They are very cold. However the main pool is now heated.

I need to post my review but in short, I went back to st kitts some time ago and it was fantastic. Everything was improved and fixed. There are many things to do and staff was awesome. They were all happy because we were the first clients to come back for a 2nd time.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Thank you for this update. Are you saying that the room pools will not be heated after all? Or just not right now? If the former that would be quite disappointing.

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
room pools were going to be heated but now there are not. They are very cold. However the main pool is now heated.

I need to post my review but in short, I went back to st kitts some time ago and it was fantastic. Everything was improved and fixed. There are many things to do and staff was awesome. They were all happy because we were the first clients to come back for a 2nd time.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
room pools were going to be heated but now there are not. They are very cold. ....
For what they charge for them, that is disappointing to hear. We have a stay booked in the spring, and are hoping they are either heated by then or warm enough to be comfortable.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
According to the staff in the hotel, the plans to upgrade the room pools are cancelled. I told them that didnt make sense since the pool was too cold (even though beach water was warm and day was hot).

The good news like I said is that the main pool is now heated.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:23 pm

Could anybody comment on cell phone service there? I just got scheduled for a phone interview during my stay next week, so I am wondering if there will be any issues. I have Verizon, if that matters.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by cheme24
Could anybody comment on cell phone service there? I just got scheduled for a phone interview during my stay next week, so I am wondering if there will be any issues. I have Verizon, if that matters.
Verizon was rock solid during my visit.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:10 pm

How are you late arrivals renting your cars during your stays? I arrive @ 8:40PM and it seems like all the rental car companies closes at 6. Can PH arrange rentals or do I need to go back to Basseterre in the morning?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by fangtl
How are you late arrivals renting your cars during your stays? I arrive @ 8:40PM and it seems like all the rental car companies closes at 6. Can PH arrange rentals or do I need to go back to Basseterre in the morning?
PH does car rentals
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:22 pm

Here now, can confirm neither the main pool or in suite plunge pools are heated. Both are doable in short spurts but are colder then is preferable.

Service here is best I've experienced at a Hyatt property. Not a single hiccup in 5 days.

Also the quietest resort I've ever been too. Pools restaurants bars are all at 10-15% capacity despite being supposedly busy week for rooms. The common areas are either extremely overbuilt or they expect to bring in cruise ship day pass traffic
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:06 am

Just completed my 4 night stay here. All in all, a 7/10 stay w/ a great, friendly staff but as other mentioned, there are some issues, I will list them out in no particular order 1) Huge shower leak caused by a ripped rubber sweep and the flooring not properly graded. 2) I was not able to turn off the lights in my room due to an electrical failure, island-time maintenance came by and addressed it but the issue persisted which prompted a room change. 3) My patio was full of bird feces, we couldn’t enjoy our time out there. 4) My screen door was broken and came off the chain, and the replacement screen door was held to the door frame by 2-sided tape, which promptly detached. 5) Poor communication, I planned to celebrate my daughter's birthday with a cake. It was left in the room when I checked in when I scheduled it on the last night of the stay, so someone had to go and remove it before we walked into the room. I later arranged for it to be brought in during turndown on the last night, the cake never arrived. 7) Maintenance seems to start at building 3, walking down the beach by the villa revealed a lack of upkeep as pollution and trash from the water abound.

I will say some bloggers have mentioned restaurants offering small portions. I found the opposite to be true. I'd say one of the best parts of my stay was the dining experience at the three restaurants and bar. The credits definitely made the stay more enjoyable.
ryandc99 likes this.

Last edited by fangtl; Nov 11, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.