Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newporter v. Irvine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Newporter v. Irvine

Any one have any recent experiences at these hotels in southern california? Which is nicer, e.g. nicer rooms, etc.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

If you don't have elite status with Hyatt, I would recommend going with the Irvine one (recently renovated - and fairly nice even before when I stayed there about 1.5 yrs ago). The Newporter has rooms that vary greatly (I had a room, with no status, that was rather run down - more like an older Holiday Inn). But if you're a Diamond, the property is rather resort like.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:44 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
I have stayed at the Newport Hyatt 3 times over the last couple of months. Each room that I got was very nice--the last one being a suite. I had expected tired/rundown rooms based on other reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Have no experience with the Irvine Hyatt.
kelly786
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

as always, thanks everyone for your comments.

Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
It depends on what your needs are. I don't think anyone would argue that the rooms at Irvine are much nicer than any of those at the Newporter. Irvine is a modern hi-rise in a business area very close to the 405 fwy. They do have a nice pool. Newporter consists of 2-story buildings, probably circa 1960's resort atmosphere. It has nice grounds and the location is good, across from Fashion Island and closer to the beach. You can read what kinds of rooms people have received by doing a search. More of a vacation feel, while Irvine is business-oriented.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:45 pm

Programs: BOS - UA 2P, SPG Plat
As a diamond, I stayed at both properties at the end of last month.

Irvine is much much better, hands down. If you stay in the Newporter, make sure to stay in the Lido building; but even in this building, expect bugs on the ground and in the bathroom and old, old rooms overall. Breakfast was awful, and the waiter specifically said -- cold buffet only for this coupon. No such statement at Irvine -- rooms and food and amenity are much, much better.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I like the Irvine property, I will be back there next week.

It is convenient to the highway, but far enough away to be quiet.

And the restaurant is fantastic.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
I am a Hyatt Diamond member and have stayed at both recently.

I have had consistent problems in the 10 or so times I've stayed at the Newporter over the last 6 months and, as a result, no longer choose to stay there.
- The main building is the only convenient building but the rooms are in poor repair.
- The outlying buildings are difficult to get to with luggage, and don't have elevators.
- The service is consistently poor.
- You will be serviced by a bunch of college students who have no idea what follow through is.
- Generally speaking, management at this hotel has all of the excuses, but none of the solutions. This hotel is far out of touch with its business travelers, and I would never recommend it to a friend.

The Irvine Hyatt has been recently renovated and, in contrast, has very professional staff. My single experience there was very good, in general, although I found my room to be a little noisy (not near the elevator or the ice machine).
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:55 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hyatt Irvine for me!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:15 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Definately Irvine

Stayed at both within the last few months. As a Hyatt Platinum got no recognition at all at the Newporter - room was in an outlying building and as someone mentioned - had to drag my roller down stairs, ( these are outside terraced stairs) so not so easy to accomplish - to a room that had insects, etc in it. The hotel was actually built in the 40;s if I remember, and it shows it

The Irvine property was remodeled and I think it even had high speed internet ( been in too many places in the last few months ). The people were nice and helpful, rooms were a decent size and clean
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:25 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I've not stayed at either of these properties, but the Hyatt Irvine is owned by The Irvine Company (as is the Four Seasons Newport Beach). Given their reputation and excellent management of their other commercial properties in the area, I would expect great facilities and service there.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Newporter very recently for several nights on a $27 per Priceline stay. Had a very nice stay and room. No status at all with Hyatt, but the way to one of the newly upgraded rooms in the Lido Building (not all the rooms in the Lido or other buildings have been upgraded) is simply to ask for a room with High-Speed Internet at check-in. Status or not, they'll likely give you one of these new rooms (which are very nice, IMHO) just to get the additional internet revenue out of you.

Mine was on the 2nd floor, overlooking the golf course and John Wayne Tennis Club beyond. A very old "Vegas" feel to this property. And it should have as it was built, owned and operated for many many years by Del Webb (who built Bugsy's Flamingo in Vegas and many others).

Certainly couldn't beat the price!

Can't report on the older rooms at the Newporter or any of the Irvine's.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:23 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I just stayed at Irvine and quite liked it, apart from the pool being infested with screaming children and the parking valet being very, very slow. Nice room, nice public spaces, very good RC and great RC concierge.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I've heard the Irvine can be had for $30/night on PL... but only on weekdays??

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Everybody seems to like the Irvine property but no one has reviewed it yet

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.