Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:29 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
It's interesting. I think there is a difference between European and US-guests.
My wife reads reports in German on both hotels, and they are generally much better for the GH vs the HR.
I only wanted to originally stay at the HR, as this was my VERY FIRST Hyatt I walked into (did not stay) in 1978 and was fascinated! this set the groundstone for my Hyatt Loyalty till today... I wanted the experience again, I guess.
We prefer the Union Square location, near the shopping areas. Macy's, Market Street, and Cable Cars (yes, Embarcadero has them, too).
but for me, the area is just way more interesting then the banking/business area of S.F.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
I find the HR location better as a local. It's more appealing and its more BART convenient. IMO the only reason to stay at GH would be if you have a meeting or convention nearby or the entire focus of your trip is shopping in Union Square.

These have traditionally been two of the chintzier properties in the country in terms of loyalty benefits. HR seems to have upped its game on this point; meanwhile GH continues to disappoint, with scarce upgrades and a too-crowded lounge.
You made some interesting points. Pre-COVID, what was the HR lounge like? How far is the BART? I'm guessing this could be a nice alternative to GH SFO if the price is right and I can quickly get back to the airport.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by lsquare
You made some interesting points. Pre-COVID, what was the HR lounge like? How far is the BART? I'm guessing this could be a nice alternative to GH SFO if the price is right and I can quickly get back to the airport.
Bart is practically at the doorstep of the HR.
​​Vs a couple blocks from the GH San Fran.

If you want to see the city, or if the rate is significantly cheaper, it'd be a good alt, but personally I loved stepping out of the airport, hopping on the airport mover and being shuttled directly to the GH SFO. Was a solid end to our last big trip (enough that I've booked it again for our next one)
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Bart is practically at the doorstep of the HR.
​​Vs a couple blocks from the GH San Fran.

If you want to see the city, or if the rate is significantly cheaper, it'd be a good alt, but personally I loved stepping out of the airport, hopping on the airport mover and being shuttled directly to the GH SFO. Was a solid end to our last big trip (enough that I've booked it again for our next one)
I know the GH SFO is highly rated so that's obviously a good option. I don't know how much BART is now and I forgot which station I got out of before, but there is a Gap clothing store near the station, it was close to $20 round-trip. I have to obviously factor that in.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:48 am

It looks like they're listing club rooms starting in December.

They must be confident that the club lounge will be open by then.

Christmas Eve was the first day I could find.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:03 pm

Had a last minute booking, 2 night mid week award stay last week as a Globalist:
Upgraded to balcony room facing the bay
Free breakfast was serviceable but wouldn't have been worth it if I had to pay
Water bottle card since club was closed (no VIP card)
Valet was covered (normally $80/night)
late check out proactively offered
Room was renovated, no issues with noise on the 14th floor
Would stay again
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Pre-pandemic I preferred the grand Hyatt. Since I prefer the Embarcadero. However checking the prices for next summer for a work from Hotel week, I can get the grand Hyatt for around$ 200 while the Embarcadero is over $600. This is true for many Saturday to Saturday stays including all next August

I’m guessing the prices will go up for the grand Hyatt to come down for the Embarcadero
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Pre-pandemic I preferred the grand Hyatt. Since I prefer the Embarcadero. However checking the prices for next summer for a work from Hotel week, I can get the grand Hyatt for around$ 200 while the Embarcadero is over $600. This is true for many Saturday to Saturday stays including all next August

I’m guessing the prices will go up for the grand Hyatt to come down for the Embarcadero
There's no way HR will be able to sustain current 2023 rates. It's as if they're actively discouraging bookings.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m guessing they have conventions booked and they already have room block commitments. Otherwise , it’s not smart business.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:08 pm

Sometimes I don't get the pricing, or I'm just shocked by it. For our visit this past June, I had been playing around with dates to check prices. At one point maybe a month prior, for our one-week visit I was getting a nightly rate of around $380++ for this hotel. (It did seem like a convention of some sort was occurring as GH and SOMA were both pretty high for that week as well.) But when I tacked on 2 or 3 nights in front of the week, so for a total of 10 nights I think, the nightly rate dipped to around $190++. That was insane. I strongly considered getting us into town a little bit sooner. It wasn't designated as a long stay rate or anything like that, but even if it was, that's a HUUUGE difference.

In the end just stuck with our original reservation for the week at GH, which was $180++
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Sometimes I don't get the pricing, or I'm just shocked by it.
Agreed. There never seems to be much rhyme or reason to the rates, and they also seem to fluctuate significantly (whether it be day to day, or rates for a specific day changing significantly for the better over time).
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
San Francisco hotel pricing is always up and down due to conventions, and now even more so with a lot less regular business travel and international Asia travel (so the “valleys” are lower than they used to be while the peaks are just as high).

I’m landing in SF shortly, rates at hotels like Hyatt Regency are $1,000 a night this week due to the Salesforce conference. At the weekend they are back to $209 a night.

Last edited by Adelphos; Sep 20, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachfan
I’m guessing they have conventions booked and they already have room block commitments. Otherwise , it’s not smart business.
It's the latter. The insane pricing is every day in 2023.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:10 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's the latter. The insane pricing is every day in 2023.
Insane pricing with closed inventory for standard rooms as I noted earlier. "insane" is actually too mild an expression.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Staying here for a couple of days and asked for an upgrade, got a Club Level King Room. Given the RC is still closed, is there any meaningful difference? I don’t even think it has a balcony 😔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.