Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Heaven is still quite clearly visible from the exercise room...which gives me hope that, someday, I will escape from the cramped shower in this smelly locker room!
Ewwww.... you actually use that shower!?

I just go back to my room to shower.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Ewwww.... you actually use that shower!?

I just go back to my room to shower.
The showers (in guest rooms) at the Regency have awesome water pressure with a nice shower head!! (elephant Kramer-esque)

And I'm one that travels with a pliers so I can "fix" hotel shower heads
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:33 pm

Some more specific information on what you could expect to find with the club lounge breakfast on any given day:

• One meat dish (Bacon, sausage, or ham, depending on day)
  • One egg dish (Scrambled eggs, plain omlet, quiche, or hard boiled eggs, depending on the day)
  • Assorted cold cuts
  • Assorted bread and pastries
  • Assorted fruits
  • Very basic salad bar (lettuce, cheery tomatoes, cucumbers, and 2 kinds of salad dressing)
  • Assorted dry fruits and nuts/seeds
  • Assorted yogurts
  • Assorted dry cereals and muesli
  • Assorted fruit juices and milk
  • Coffee/espresso maker and various breakfast teas

It's a decent breakfast if you're getting it for free but, to be honest, if this is your only reason for getting the club lounge access, and it isn't already free, I would save the points and just eat breakfast in the Caffe restaurant. If you're also using it for the cocktails and Wi-Fi then I guess it is a good deal overall, but you'll still want to occasionally eat breakfast somewhere else to break up the monotony.
Thanks for the detailed info guys. If it were just me I wouldn't spend the additional points but it's two of us and am sure we'd partake somewhat in evening happy hour and almost for sure use the wifi. If it were 5,000 points I probably wouldn't do it but the 3,000 does seem reasonable. Shoot, a pastry, juice, and some fruit from 7-11 costs $10 easily so I can't really see it as a bad deal. And it's only 3 breakfasts so not much monotony

Last edited by LivninSC; Aug 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by LivninSC
Shoot, a pastry, juice, and some fruit from 7-11 costs $10 easily so I can't really see it as a bad deal.
Not in Japan! While they do sell a lot of "ornamental quality" fruits for gifts, in Odakyu Market (a normal chain there, although a little upscale) I've seen the following pricing:

*A 1/10th of a watermelon wedge for $12 (that's over $100 for a whole watermelon) - granted the Maritu Petitte market a few blocks from HR sells them for $3-5.

*A stem of large grapes (about 20 grapes) for over $15

*A beautiful looking mango for $12 (yes, that's one melon)

*A pint container of large "perfect looking" strawberries for about $35

*Kiwis for about $3 each

Still, I'll guess a 7/11 in Tokyo would sell a pastry, a 7 oz. mini-juice, and a banana or apple for about $6-8. And there's a 7/11 in the ground level of the HR, right at the escalator down to the subway.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
The showers (in guest rooms) at the Regency have awesome water pressure with a nice shower head!! (elephant Kramer-esque)

And I'm one that travels with a pliers so I can "fix" hotel shower heads
Yes, hotels with nice showers often get more :-:s on my personal list.

The other ones are hotels with super plush and soft towels!^

Thanks for the detailed info guys. If it were just me I wouldn't spend the additional points but it's two of us and am sure we'd partake somewhat in evening happy hour and almost for sure use the wifi. If it were 5,000 points I probably wouldn't do it but the 3,000 does seem reasonable. Shoot, a pastry, juice, and some fruit from 7-11 costs $10 easily so I can't really see it as a bad deal. And it's only 3 breakfasts so not much monotony
Just to let you know, they have free continental breakfast for HGP.

Pastries, with coffee/tea.

Something to consider if you are cost conscious.

Not in Japan! While they do sell a lot of "ornamental quality" fruits for gifts, in Odakyu Market (a normal chain there, although a little upscale) I've seen the following pricing:

*A 1/10th of a watermelon wedge for $12 (that's over $100 for a whole watermelon) - granted the Maritu Petitte market a few blocks from HR sells them for $3-5.

*A stem of large grapes (about 20 grapes) for over $15

*A beautiful looking mango for $12 (yes, that's one melon)

*A pint container of large "perfect looking" strawberries for about $35

*Kiwis for about $3 each

Still, I'll guess a 7/11 in Tokyo would sell a pastry, a 7 oz. mini-juice, and a banana or apple for about $6-8. And there's a 7/11 in the ground level of the HR, right at the escalator down to the subway.
I take it you haven't been the fruit stall in Shinjuku, that sells fruit on a stick for 100-200 yen!

Those fruits that you see are mostly corporate / congratulations gifts.

But that aside, they have a 7-11, Lawsons, and Family Mart in the basement. Breakfast burrito for about 2-300 yen.

I personally, would usually walk to Yoshinoya for a "Tamago Gyu-don" for breakfast! (Slurps)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the detailed info guys. If it were just me I wouldn't spend the additional points but it's two of us and am sure we'd partake somewhat in evening happy hour and almost for sure use the wifi
In-room internet access only costs 300 yen a day. And they'll give you a wireless router for no charge if you ask for one.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, there's a 24 hour grocery store about a five minute walk from the hotel (cross the street to get to Hilton, cross the street to get to Dennys, then keep walking for another minute to the "Maruetsu Puchi") with much more and much cheaper stuff than available at the 7-Eleven.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:13 pm

I take it you haven't been the fruit stall in Shinjuku, that sells fruit on a stick for 100-200 yen!
For trips where I happen to be in Shibuya (station), I always stop by the little mom & pop fruit shop (cross the street from where the taxis/buses line up then continue right to the next corner) - about the same price as the Mauretsu Petitte market near Hyatt (located by going towards the Hilton, cross that street to get to Hilton, then take a left in front of Hilton and go about two blocks, (past BMW, past open concrete plaza area, past large office-building-looking apartment building).

Oh, there's also a pick-up dry cleaners in the basement here, but short hours so I've never been able to use them (dry cleaning at the HR is outrageous, I think like $30 for a suit).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:33 pm

Also, there's a 24 hour grocery store about a five minute walk from the hotel (cross the street to get to Hilton, cross the street to get to Dennys, then keep walking for another minute to the "Maruetsu Puchi") with much more and much cheaper stuff than available at the 7-Eleven.
For trips where I happen to be in Shibuya (station), I always stop by the little mom & pop fruit shop (cross the street from where the taxis/buses line up then continue right to the next corner) - about the same price as the Mauretsu Petitte market near Hyatt (located by going towards the Hilton, cross that street to get to Hilton, then take a left in front of Hilton and go about two blocks, (past BMW, past open concrete plaza area, past large office-building-looking apartment building).

Oh, there's also a pick-up dry cleaners in the basement here, but short hours so I've never been able to use them (dry cleaning at the HR is outrageous, I think like $30 for a suit).
Thanks for the heads up on the super market!

I think I've walked past it several times but not seen it. Will keep my eyes peeled next time.

Dry cleaning / Laundry is always expensive at hotels.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rather than do a typical trip review, I shall offer thoughts on various aspects of the hotel, as experienced during four three-night mattress stays over the past month, in no particular order.

Regency Club
I have never had any occasion to use the regular check-in facilities, but the Regency Club staff were outstanding. They were always quick (never had to wait), courteous, and friendly, and from the second time onward always greeted me with a "Welcome Back!" and seemed genuinely happy to see me again.

The club facilities themselves are huge. There are three separate room areas, all with a different look and feel, and there are sofas as well as regular chairs. There is also a separate room with a door for smokers, and so long as you are not in the immediate vicinity when the door is being opened, the cigarette smell is not noticeable from the rest of the lounge. Wireless internet is available, but you need to ask for a code from the staff.

I've previously described the breakfast service, which is adequate for a full meal. The evening service is much more difficult to make a meal out of...but as all my stays were unnecessary expenses, I did so anyway (as did a rather portly gentleman one night, who had no fewer than 30 small appetizer dishes all but filling his table). Evening service begins at 6:00pm, but hot appetizers do not come out until 6:30pm...and these go VERY quickly! Refills for the hot appetizers do not come again until 7:00pm, but after that are filled fairly quickly, so might be best use of your time to wait until 7:00pm before arriving. Monday and Thursday the hot appetizers are various dim sum from the Chinese restaurant, and was by far my favorite of the lot.

Pool/Gym
The pool and gym are found on the 28th floor. Only half of the elevators go to this floor, so there's a 50/50 chance that you'll either have to change elevators or take the stairs from the 27th floor. The locker rooms, if you must use them, are quite cramped and smelly, and are enough to make you cry if you've recently been to the Park Hyatt Tokyo. The gym is small but adequate, though there was one occasion that I went where every treadmill was in use. The pool is a bit small but decent, if you can get to use it when there are less than 10 people inside. Swim caps, available by the pool, must be worn at all times in the pool, and you cannot bring any of your own floats inside the pool (I was scolded when I tried to sneak a tiny, brand-new beach ball past the pool nazis), but you are allowed to borrow a kick board and a pair of goggles (though supply is limited) There is also a tiny jacuzzi with a limit of about four people, two tanning chairs, and a "warm room", which is like a sauna but only set to 50C/120F.

There is a stairway you must climb to get to this pool...I did not think to ask if there was an option for the handicapped to access it.

Rooms
Though I was told both times that I was being "upgraded", neither of the two regular rooms I stayed in were anything special, but they were all perfectly adequate for a good night's sleep. I especially liked how dark the room got when the shades were closed. I believe both rooms I stayed in were "remodeled" rooms, and while small were aesthetically pleasing. The diamond amenity was four little cakes, which never changed during all four of my stays. Strangely enough, the rooms have coffee and Japanese tea, but no English tea...though there's plenty of that in the Regency Club if you have access to that.

Atrium Suite
On only one occasion did I find the Atrium Suite available, so I burned the first of two suite upgrades on this room. Had my stay been only a single night, my one-word review of the place would have been "Weird". It was only by the second day that I really started to figure out how everything in the suite works, and that's when I finally began to appreciate it for the special place that it is. I don't want to spoil the experience for others by saying too much about it...suffice to say that, if you stay, and you find yourself wishing "I wish there was a way to do {something}", if you look hard enough, there probably is a way to do it.

For the suites, in addition to the cake amenity, they also bring you a big platter of fruit and a bottle of wine. The first time around I told them that I didn't drink alcohol, but they still brought the wine during my second suite stay, so I guess you just have to take it. The suites also have their own special toiletries that are different from the regular rooms, though I'm not sure which one is better. The best "suite only" amenity I can think of were the Nespresso machines. Loved it! Would but one for myself if it weren't so expensive.

Regency Suite
The lowest level suite. After reading another poster talk about being upgraded to the Diplomat Suite I had hopes of this as well, but they told me that the club floors were fully booked, so no upgrade possible. The Regency Suite seemed to be the one place I stayed that had not been remodeled...the bedside desks in particular looked as though they must have been unchanged since 1980. Still, the room was big and bright, with a very nice view of Shinjuku Central Park, and was more than adequate for our needs. I was especially happy to see the Nespresso machine in here, as it did not appear in the room description on the Hilton site. There are two television sets in the room, but they are so close to each other that often a single remote will activate both televisions simultaneously...which can be really convenient or really annoying, depending on the circumstance.

Restaurants
The only in-hotel restaurant we ended up trying was Caffe, the Western style place on the first floor. The food was decent, but I think there is better food to be found nearby. In particular, the Italian restaurant Fungo found just a little bit past the Dennys was much better at only about 2/3 the price of Caffe.

In Room Internet
Even if you are not a Diamond, in-room internet is only 300 yen a day. If you want to use wireless, you need to ask for a wireless router, which they will install for you in your room at no charge. In the regular rooms I never had a problem, but in the suites sometimes I had difficultly using from the opposite end of the room.

All in all, it's a decent budget alternative to the other Tokyo Hyatts, but the only way I would stay again is if I could upgrade to the Atrium Suite.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:42 pm

Allow me to add chime in a little here and there

Rather than do a typical trip review, I shall offer thoughts on various aspects of the hotel, as experienced during four three-night mattress stays over the past month, in no particular order.

Regency Club
I have never had any occasion to use the regular check-in facilities, but the Regency Club staff were outstanding. They were always quick (never had to wait), courteous, and friendly, and from the second time onward always greeted me with a "Welcome Back!" and seemed genuinely happy to see me again.

The club facilities themselves are huge. There are three separate room areas, all with a different look and feel, and there are sofas as well as regular chairs. There is also a separate room with a door for smokers, and so long as you are not in the immediate vicinity when the door is being opened, the cigarette smell is not noticeable from the rest of the lounge. Wireless internet is available, but you need to ask for a code from the staff.

I've previously described the breakfast service, which is adequate for a full meal. The evening service is much more difficult to make a meal out of...but as all my stays were unnecessary expenses, I did so anyway (as did a rather portly gentleman one night, who had no fewer than 30 small appetizer dishes all but filling his table). Evening service begins at 6:00pm, but hot appetizers do not come out until 6:30pm...and these go VERY quickly! Refills for the hot appetizers do not come again until 7:00pm, but after that are filled fairly quickly, so might be best use of your time to wait until 7:00pm before arriving. Monday and Thursday the hot appetizers are various dim sum from the Chinese restaurant, and was by far my favorite of the lot.
Love the regency club, especially the welcome back. They are amazing at this!

Your description of the lounge is consistent with my experience (including mr 30. plates).

Pool/Gym
The pool and gym are found on the 28th floor. Only half of the elevators go to this floor, so there's a 50/50 chance that you'll either have to change elevators or take the stairs from the 27th floor. The locker rooms, if you must use them, are quite cramped and smelly, and are enough to make you cry if you've recently been to the Park Hyatt Tokyo. The gym is small but adequate, though there was one occasion that I went where every treadmill was in use. The pool is a bit small but decent, if you can get to use it when there are less than 10 people inside. Swim caps, available by the pool, must be worn at all times in the pool, and you cannot bring any of your own floats inside the pool (I was scolded when I tried to sneak a tiny, brand-new beach ball past the pool nazis), but you are allowed to borrow a kick board and a pair of goggles (though supply is limited) There is also a tiny jacuzzi with a limit of about four people, two tanning chairs, and a "warm room", which is like a sauna but only set to 50C/120F.

There is a stairway you must climb to get to this pool...I did not think to ask if there was an option for the handicapped to access it.
Agree with you on the Gym too.

They also have a machine to take your blood pressure in the Gym. (never used it though cause I am imagining how many sweaty hands have been there).

Never used the pool.

Rooms
Though I was told both times that I was being "upgraded", neither of the two regular rooms I stayed in were anything special, but they were all perfectly adequate for a good night's sleep. I especially liked how dark the room got when the shades were closed. I believe both rooms I stayed in were "remodeled" rooms, and while small were aesthetically pleasing. The diamond amenity was four little cakes, which never changed during all four of my stays. Strangely enough, the rooms have coffee and Japanese tea, but no English tea...though there's plenty of that in the Regency Club if you have access to that.
In addition, I usually get fruits as part of my diamond amenity. The diamond amenity I've gotten for the past 24 months are either macaroons, financier cake, or madeleine cake.

Atrium Suite
On only one occasion did I find the Atrium Suite available, so I burned the first of two suite upgrades on this room. Had my stay been only a single night, my one-word review of the place would have been "Weird". It was only by the second day that I really started to figure out how everything in the suite works, and that's when I finally began to appreciate it for the special place that it is. I don't want to spoil the experience for others by saying too much about it...suffice to say that, if you stay, and you find yourself wishing "I wish there was a way to do {something}", if you look hard enough, there probably is a way to do it.

For the suites, in addition to the cake amenity, they also bring you a big platter of fruit and a bottle of wine. The first time around I told them that I didn't drink alcohol, but they still brought the wine during my second suite stay, so I guess you just have to take it. The suites also have their own special toiletries that are different from the regular rooms, though I'm not sure which one is better. The best "suite only" amenity I can think of were the Nespresso machines. Loved it! Would but one for myself if it weren't so expensive.
Most of the Suites use the REN line. Which is the highest end in this hotel.

Regency Suite
The lowest level suite. After reading another poster talk about being upgraded to the Diplomat Suite I had hopes of this as well, but they told me that the club floors were fully booked, so no upgrade possible. The Regency Suite seemed to be the one place I stayed that had not been remodeled...the bedside desks in particular looked as though they must have been unchanged since 1980. Still, the room was big and bright, with a very nice view of Shinjuku Central Park, and was more than adequate for our needs. I was especially happy to see the Nespresso machine in here, as it did not appear in the room description on the Hilton site. There are two television sets in the room, but they are so close to each other that often a single remote will activate both televisions simultaneously...which can be really convenient or really annoying, depending on the circumstance.
Never stayed in this suite.

Restaurants
The only in-hotel restaurant we ended up trying was Caffe, the Western style place on the first floor. The food was decent, but I think there is better food to be found nearby. In particular, the Italian restaurant Fungo found just a little bit past the Dennys was much better at only about 2/3 the price of Caffe.
I love the 2 Star French Rest in the basement. I personally view it as value for money.

On check out, they will also give you a discount voucher for all hotel restaurants, valid for use within the same quarter. (been practising this for about 9 months: my last stay was in April this year.)

In Room Internet
Even if you are not a Diamond, in-room internet is only 300 yen a day. If you want to use wireless, you need to ask for a wireless router, which they will install for you in your room at no charge. In the regular rooms I never had a problem, but in the suites sometimes I had difficultly using from the opposite end of the room.

All in all, it's a decent budget alternative to the other Tokyo Hyatts, but the only way I would stay again is if I could upgrade to the Atrium Suite.
At times, they also have specials where the rate goes down to 15,000 yen per night. It is usually pre-paid, with 72 hour cancellation prior to arrival as well.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At times, they also have specials where the rate goes down to 15,000 yen per night. It is usually pre-paid, with 72 hour cancellation prior to arrival as well.
I paid much less than that per night, thanks to the Hyatt Free Time program (the main reason why each of my stays was exactly three nights). Generally got a rate of under 18,000 yen per night, with the third night free.

For one night stays, Sunday and Monday generally has "The Super Saver" rate, which for me is currently showing up as 13,637 yen for a night (two adults)

One other note: the first time I stayed with the family, they charged me 3,000 yen a night for an extra bed, but the second time they didn't charge me at all. Not sure if they intentionally comped me the bed, or simply forgot about it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some more specific information on what you could expect to find with the club lounge breakfast on any given day:

• One meat dish (Bacon, sausage, or ham, depending on day)
  • One egg dish (Scrambled eggs, plain omelet, quiche, or hard boiled eggs, depending on the day)
  • Assorted cold cuts
  • Assorted bread and pastries
  • Assorted fruits
  • Very basic salad bar (lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and 2 kinds of salad dressing)
  • Assorted dry fruits and nuts/seeds
  • Assorted yogurts
  • Assorted dry cereals and muesli
  • Assorted fruit juices and milk
  • Coffee/espresso maker and various breakfast teas

It's a decent breakfast if you're getting it for free but, to be honest, if this is your only reason for getting the club lounge access, and it isn't already free, I would save the points and just eat breakfast in the Caffe restaurant.
After using my 10% off coupon to try the Caffe breakfast this morning, I would like to take back this advice.

As I had already eaten the lounge breakfast umpteen times, the worst outcome would have been if the Caffe breakfast were exactly the same. And it was pretty darned close. Turns out that the lounge breakfast is a rather significant subset of the restaurant breakfast, as at least 70% of the food in the Caffe breakfast was also available in the lounge.

The biggest difference was that Caffe featured made to order omelets, which were decent, but not particularly memorable. There was also a choice of either bacon or ham, a few cooked/stewed vegetables, a carrot soup that was not particularly good, a couple of extra types of cheese, and soy milk. Other than that, pretty much everything is exactly as mentioned in the lounge breakfast, with the exception of eating in a more crowded room with a less pleasant view, and having to wait for someone to come around and bring a hot drink to you.

If you have club lounge access, there is absolutely no reason to spend money on a Caffe breakfast. If you do not have breakfast included in your stay, I'd recommend either getting the Japanese breakfast, going across the street to the Hilton, or taking a walk through the park to the Park Hyatt.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:18 pm

After using my 10% off coupon to try the Caffe breakfast this morning, I would like to take back this advice.

As I had already eaten the lounge breakfast umpteen times, the worst outcome would have been if the Caffe breakfast were exactly the same. And it was pretty darned close. Turns out that the lounge breakfast is a rather significant subset of the restaurant breakfast, as at least 70% of the food in the Caffe breakfast was also available in the lounge.

The biggest difference was that Caffe featured made to order omelets, which were decent, but not particularly memorable. There was also a choice of either bacon or ham, a few cooked/stewed vegetables, a carrot soup that was not particularly good, a couple of extra types of cheese, and soy milk. Other than that, pretty much everything is exactly as mentioned in the lounge breakfast, with the exception of eating in a more crowded room with a less pleasant view, and having to wait for someone to come around and bring a hot drink to you.

If you have club lounge access, there is absolutely no reason to spend money on a Caffe breakfast. If you do not have breakfast included in your stay, I'd recommend either getting the Japanese breakfast, going across the street to the Hilton, or taking a walk through the park to the Park Hyatt.
A couple of others come to mind:
  • Tamago Gyudon (Beef Bowl with rice + 1 raw egg ) for about 430 yen for a small bowl
  • Japanese breakfast of Naato, Rice, Soup, and Fish (for the daring) I think it is 300+ yen per set
  • Denny's
  • Mc Donalds
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of others come to mind:
  • Tamago Gyudon (Beef Bowl with rice + 1 raw egg ) for about 430 yen for a small bowl
  • Japanese breakfast of Naato, Rice, Soup, and Fish (for the daring) I think it is 300+ yen per set
  • Denny's
  • Mc Donalds
Well, if I were on a budget, I'd just buy some milk and a box of breakfast cereal from the nearby supermarket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.