Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This property was a disappointment when we stayed there. But I am a lowly PLT so I guess the room with a view of the roof on Floor 3 is the best thing available to me

Hoping to be Diamond soon and will try it again.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:41 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have to agree with RichardinSF. We have had a couple of stays here and neither of them were very satisfactory. When we checked in a couple of weeks ago the lady on the front desk didn't even look at me and only said about 3 words. I went back to find someone else to collect my Internet code and ask for the amenity. I have been fortunate enough to stay at a number of Hyatt properties and GH's around the world the ones in Singapore and Melbourne, for example, are in a different class. Also the GH's in San Francisco and Seattle score better for me.
That seems rather odd to me -- maybe you were there on an off-day or something for that female. I've never had an issue with the front desk, and service is always very prompt and efficient. I'm truly sorry to hear of a bad experience at this property as I've always been treated extremely well at check-in. Hopefully your next stay will be better ...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond
Just completed a five night stay at this property over new years some views

Welcome : Nothing over the top just normal check in no champaign offered might have been the time of day 11:00am Was asked about aminity took points also with out prompting they added 2500 club closure for part of my stay that the club would be closed fri,sat and sun.

Room : Used Diamond Suite Upgrade was suppose to be put in one of their Casitas but at time off booking none were available so GP agent asked if they could put us in something else and they gave us the VIP suite in main building 11th floor with full bay views very nice room around 1100sq ft FD said this normallly goes for around 900 a night I got on AAA rate fro 89.10 so not bad at all. Room was very clean with full size fridge and wet bar area with one full bath ,half bath and dinning room table that seat 6. One thing that I had that was interesting was that the room had a separate door that opened to an ice machine right behind the wet bar pretty nice set up.

Regency Club: Very average one cpu usual morn. offerings for breakfast lunch was cookies and different nuts every day and the usual soft drinks that I might add did not get stocked through out the day their were a few times things were empty Also of note Armarnies is right above the club and when it is open you get a lot of noise coming down from it in the club Evening fare was shrimp cocktail various meats and crackers

Overall Property: This is a very nice poperty staff is very friendly and helpfull.
This is a large hotel sits on 35 achers all of it is very clean and well maintained. The Casitas look real nice didnt get a chance to look at one of them but judging from the outside I'm sure they are nice.

I have already made reservations for later this year here again I really enjoyed my stay there

Have one question do diamonds normally get 15% off room service at all properties or is this only at this property thanks
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Muscarlive, IMO the hotel did you a favor by giving you that suite VS a cabana. The cabana's are not well insulated, so you hear a great deal of airport noise. ALSO, when the Club IS open, it isn't convenient. They do have their positives, but I have found I prefer the main hotel...especially when I am given that suite! ^

YMMV
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Muscarlive, IMO the hotel did you a favor by giving you that suite VS a cabana. The cabana's are not well insulated, so you hear a great deal of airport noise. ALSO, when the Club IS open, it isn't convenient. They do have their positives, but I have found I prefer the main hotel...especially when I am given that suite! ^

YMMV
Sophiegril

I fully agree I would much rather had what I got then the Casitas like you said club distance would have been terrible to be honest though I liked the beach set up better then the main hotels pool. I was able to see sting rays and dolphins while on that side of the propertry on the pier petty cool
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by muscarlive
Just completed a five night stay at this property over new years some views

Welcome : Nothing over the top just normal check in no champaign offered might have been the time of day 11:00am Was asked about aminity took points also with out prompting they added 2500 club closure for part of my stay that the club would be closed fri,sat and sun.

Room : Used Diamond Suite Upgrade was suppose to be put in one of their Casitas but at time off booking none were available so GP agent asked if they could put us in something else and they gave us the VIP suite in main building 11th floor with full bay views very nice room around 1100sq ft FD said this normallly goes for around 900 a night I got on AAA rate fro 89.10 so not bad at all. Room was very clean with full size fridge and wet bar area with one full bath ,half bath and dinning room table that seat 6. One thing that I had that was interesting was that the room had a separate door that opened to an ice machine right behind the wet bar pretty nice set up.

Regency Club: Very average one cpu usual morn. offerings for breakfast lunch was cookies and different nuts every day and the usual soft drinks that I might add did not get stocked through out the day their were a few times things were empty Also of note Armarnies is right above the club and when it is open you get a lot of noise coming down from it in the club Evening fare was shrimp cocktail various meats and crackers

Overall Property: This is a very nice poperty staff is very friendly and helpfull.
This is a large hotel sits on 35 achers all of it is very clean and well maintained. The Casitas look real nice didnt get a chance to look at one of them but judging from the outside I'm sure they are nice.

I have already made reservations for later this year here again I really enjoyed my stay there

Have one question do diamonds normally get 15% off room service at all properties or is this only at this property thanks
I've stayed a few times at this property and have received great service. The Casitas definitely need to be remodeled--good for easy parking and close to pool by the bay/Oystercatchers---however the VIP suites are definitely my favorite--however even these could use a refreshing/remodeling. Get to know the staff in Club Lounge and they'll bend over backwards to help you stock up while the lounge is closed on weekends.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I'll be staying here for a month on business, so I have a few questions...

What kind of upgrade, if any, can I expect as a diamond?

Since it is such a long stay should I contact the manager in advance to improve my chances of getting a decent room?

Is there a particular type of room/view/area of the hotel that I should request?

Do most rooms have mini-fridges, or only suites?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by srodr

Since it is such a long stay should I contact the manager in advance to improve my chances of getting a decent room?

Is there a particular type of room/view/area of the hotel that I should request?

Thanks for the help.
I have stayed at the GHTB for about 2 years now during the week. The front desk crew is really good. You will not need to email ahead for upgrades etc. If Troy is working, you can say you know Dean :-), but he will hook you up either way. First things first - the hotel is undergoing a renovation, so keep that in mind. I prefer to stay on the club level with bay view. They do have nice Casita suites which are separate from the hotel (it is essentially a second hotel and more of a resort). I am pretty sure only the Suite's have a fridge. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by srodr

Thanks for the help.
The Diamond upgrade is usually to a Casita Suite. I do prefer one of the large suites in the main hotel--however not always available depending on the week you stay and you have to ask at check-in. I'm pleased to learn that the hotel is undergoing a renovation--let's hope that the Casita suites will be redone as well. The Club lounge is closed on weekends however you get breakfast at Petey Brown's (buffet) and 2500 points. I definitely have received terrific service at this hotel--the lounge staff is very pro active. Good luck enjoy your stay.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:52 pm

Great Stay

I had a wonderful 4 day stay at this hotel. I was given a corner room (Diamond) overlooking the bay. The club was not open on weekends but points were freely given. I chose to order off the menu in the restaurant and the food was delicious. I had the tomato stack and it was one of the more unique breakfasts that I have had for awhile. The other weekend day I had to leave early and they graciously allowed me to order room service (tomato stack again--it was that good!) On the mornings the club was open, the hostess gave me a container to use for a carryout and I enjoyed the fruit and granola near the ocean before my conference started. Driving into Tampa was not a problem, although the bridge did get congested on the way back to the hotel each night. I very much enjoyed the entire visit.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
I've an upcoming stay at the GH Tampa Bay in early May and used one of my last Suite upgrades. So good use instead of letting it expire Had the call center apply the upgrade and expected a Casita Suite. However, was surprised when the agent told me that as the renovation has been completed the confirmed Diamond suite upgrades would book into the Premier Suite and had to be processed by the suite desk.

It seems that this is a new suite category, a few rooms were combined during renovations for those suites, each of them is around 800 sqfeet. They are located at the corner of the top floors. But beside that there is currently not much information available. In fact, they are not even mentioned yet on the hotel's website and you can't book them. Only a picture of them does come up when looking at the slideshow:

And I did find a report with further pictures on tripadvisor.

Now my question is: what suite would you prefer? To be honest, I was looking forward to the Casita Suites due the more "resort-style" feeling and the casita pool as well as the beach set up looks much better then the main hotels pool. And the casitas do have a patio. This would fit my needs as it's an add-on to a business trip, get some sun and I and would stay over the weekend anyway (so no GH club it seems).

The only negative could/might be the noise issue described by others in this thread.

So just thinking if I should ask the hotel if they would switch the upgrade to one of the casita suites respectively put a request in the booking depending on availability on arrival.

Any ideas or recommendations?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
I've an upcoming stay at the GH Tampa Bay in early May and used one of my last Suite upgrades. So good use instead of letting it expire Had the call center apply the upgrade and expected a Casita Suite. However, was surprised when the agent told me that as the renovation has been completed the confirmed Diamond suite upgrades would book into the Premier Suite and had to be processed by the suite desk.

It seems that this is a new suite category, a few rooms were combined during renovations for those suites, each of them is around 800 sqfeet. They are located at the corner of the top floors. But beside that there is currently not much information available. In fact, they are not even mentioned yet on the hotel's website and you can't book them. Only a picture of them does come up when looking at the slideshow [edited out per FT rules]

Now my question is: what suite would you prefer? To be honest, I was looking forward to the Casita Suites due the more "resort-style" feeling and the casita pool as well as the beach set up looks much better then the main hotels pool. And the casitas do have a patio. This would fit my needs as it's an add-on to a business trip, get some sun and I and would stay over the weekend anyway (so no GH club it seems).

The only negative could/might be the noise issue described by others in this thread.

So just thinking if I should ask the hotel if they would switch the upgrade to one of the casita suites respectively put a request in the booking depending on availability on arrival.

I would much prefer the suite in the pic to the Casita. The casitas were older and in the morning, light shines right into the bedroom loft....

Last edited by peteropny; Mar 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Amazingly, that review is by someone who is familiar to followers of this forum.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum

It seems that this is a new suite category, a few rooms were combined during renovations for those suites, each of them is around 800 sqfeet. They are located at the corner of the top floors. But beside that there is currently not much information available. In fact, they are not even mentioned yet on the hotel's website and you can't book them. Only a picture of them does come up when looking at the slideshow: [edited out picture oer Flyertalk rules].

Take the new suite - no contest.

Last edited by peteropny; Mar 4, 2013 at 7:51 am Reason: Edited out quoted picture
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:09 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Talking Take this Suite!!!

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Take the new suite - no contest.
Having authored the above-mentioned review, and being a VERY frequent guest at the GH Tampa Bay, I would most def recommend this new suite. While I love the Casita Suites for the large open spaces, the view from this new Suite category cannot be beat! Definitely go for it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.