Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
This thread has taken a rather unpleasant direction.

Whatever happened to it being a review thread?

Its a very fine hotel, I've stayed there on many occasions.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Has anyone (Diamond member) tried booking two rooms for the same night at the PHT? If so, are diamond benefits extended to both rooms or just one room? As I understand it, it varies by property.

Would it make a difference if we're talking FFN or Rev stay? If it matters, I'm talking about BOTH a three night (two rooms each night) FFN stay in July and a two night rev stay (again two rooms each night) in October.

Thank you in advance!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
This entire situation is a very bad idea. BWB/FFN nights are not transferable. Diamond status benefits are for the named member only. Trying to use BWB nights in someone else's name and reap their Diamond benefits is not very wise; if the Diamond HGP member you did this "trade" with suggested it was not a problem, I would contact them and rescind this trade asap.

You will be putting yourself (and your GF) in a pretty compromising position in Tokyo. Unless you have other arrangements for accommodations or are prepared to pay the rack rate at the Park Hyatt, I certainly wouldn't attempt it.
+ 1
Old May 23, 2010, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by pogonation
Great so my plan is to drop my GF off at a nearby restaurant for a drink and then go into the hotel and check-in (being the second named person on the reservation), hopefully they will load the diamond status of the lady who booked for me onto the card (I assume this is how you get benefits) and then I head to the room. Go meet her a bit later and take her back to our room. Then hopefully no-one raises any issues or asks her for I.D and assumes she is the lady who booked for the rest of the 4 night stay.
pogonation,

this will be pretty interesting, you are asking for major trouble.

Aside from the fact that the hotel is probably well aware of your plans right now, you are planning to hide a guest in a hotel room in one of the world's commercial centers, which is probably very closely monitored not only by the police these days. Put yourself in the position of hotel security in charge of protecting the property and making sure that e.g. fire regulations are followed. Expect high ranking officials to stay at the property and expect intelligence to double-check the data of other guests...

Hyatt has very strict regulations about the number of guests allowed in a room, a maximum of 3 at many international properties.

This is the Park Tokyo, where you will be 'monitored', not because they do not trust you, but because this is a world leading hotel that builds its service on anticipating the needs of their guests... ^

I strongly recommend to earn some BWB awards asap ( not difficult and not expensive ) and to cancel the original reservation, if you do not want to face a potentially embarrassing and very very expensive situation, we are talking rack rate at the Park Tokyo...
Old May 23, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: UA,AA
Originally Posted by FD1971
pogonation,

this will be pretty interesting, you are asking for major trouble.

Aside from the fact that the hotel is probably well aware of your plans right now, you are planning to hide a guest in a hotel room in one of the world's commercial centers, which is probably very closely monitored not only by the police these days. Put yourself in the position of hotel security in charge of protecting the property and making sure that e.g. fire regulations are followed. Expect high ranking officials to stay at the property and expect intelligence to double-check the data of other guests...

Hyatt has very strict regulations about the number of guests allowed in a room, a maximum of 3 at many international properties.

This is the Park Tokyo, where you will be 'monitored', not because they do not trust you, but because this is a world leading hotel that builds its service on anticipating the needs of their guests... ^

I strongly recommend to earn some BWB awards asap ( not difficult and not expensive ) and to cancel the original reservation, if you do not want to face a potentially embarrassing and very very expensive situation, we are talking rack rate at the Park Tokyo...
+1 and let's not spoil it for all of us.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:35 am
-DSH-

Programs: BDDC Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, EK Plat
Does someone have the email address of the General Manager of this hotel? I'd appreciate a PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:15 pm

These are exactly the kind of stupid shenanigans that make life difficult for others and lead to the end of benefits, tightening of rules, and other such hassles, that are put in place to prevent people breaking the rules.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
What kind of trouble would I get into?
You would not even be allowed to set foot in a room at the hotel unless you agreed to pay an applicable rate for a room.
Old May 24, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Please forgive me if I caused any upset. I don't think I will go ahead with the trade as it is planned now and may trade for something different. Thanks for responses and please don't let the thread turn sour because of me. Case closed ^
Old May 25, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I think some people are making a bit much fuzz here. He is not trying to HIDE anyone in the room. He is also not taking additional occupants beyond the allowance in.

And definetely would there be no charge of the rack rate.

I would however suggest to do the trade differently like transferring it directly into your account depending what award you are using.

Cheers,
S
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Sorry to ask a question that doesn't involve hiding a guest but I just successfully booked a long weekend at the PHT for June 18-21. Very excited! I am a lowly Platinum.
A few questions:
I have read this entire thread, and saw a few mentions that I wonder about. 1) On award stays, it seems you might be able to pay for an UG to a better room. Is that normal with Hyatt, or is this a PHT thing?
Most people have said they'd do an upgrade, though prices have varied in what they're talking about. For the nights I'm looking at, here are what's available:
Park King (my booking, using the NBT free nights)
Park Deluxe King (+4,000 Yen)
Park View King (+13,000 Yen over Park King price)
Room size seems to be better with Park Deluxe King, right? Is it a noticeable difference over the Park King, or is only the 13,000 yen UG worth it? I doubt I'd do the 13,000 one, since it's just for myself.

2) I saw one mention of a "relaxation" package which might include breakfast and spa. Has anyone else used this/ heard of this? I will email the hotel later this week and ask, but it's good to know what some of my options might be ahead of time.

3) I am a Platinum with 6 stays this year. Nowhere near Diamond. Would you "waste" a Diamond Comp from Starwood or IHG (Both are highest-tier) just for this stay at the PHT? Seems the Diamond treatment would make it an even better stay. Of course it's not "just" for this one stay, since if there is another FFN later this year it'd be nice to be Diamond....your thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:53 pm

1) Yes, the hotel will allow you to stay in a higher category room by charging you the difference between the normal rate of your complimentary room and the rate of the room in which you want to stay. I always did this when redeeming awards in conjunction with paid nights, but I assume that they will do this on a full award stay as well.

The Deluxe Rooms actually do feel slightly larger than the view rooms, even though they are in fact smaller according to the website. The View rooms are described as being 60 square meters. Some people prefer the Deluxe Rooms but I very much prefer the View rooms. The decision should have nothing to do with room size- the view rooms have the best views from their corner locations, and windows over the bathtubs in the bathrooms.

So, if I were you I would pay the ¥13,000 for the view room, but either way I recommend that you upgrade. I would not recommend the standard Park Room, because it won`t give you the full "Park Hyatt experience" the way the other rooms will.

2) I am not sure if they will offer you the relaxation package as part of an upsell from an award stay, but if they will I recommend that you take it. I used to stay with the relaxation package before I was a Diamond because it gives you unlimited spa access and daily full breakfast at a discount.

3) I would definitely not recommend this for one stay at the Park Hyatt. The status match is a once in a lifetime thing that you may have far better use for in the future. Further, there really is no special "Diamond Treatment" at the Park Hyatt. All diamonds get is breakfast, spa access, and a one category upgrade subject to availability. You will be better off just paying for those things for one stay. The hotel gives all of its guests the same excellent service, regardless of GP status.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Thanks so much for that detailed reply, MikeFromTokyo!
I will try to UG to the next category--the "view" rooms are probably a bit out of my price range, as this is only the first 3 nights of an 18-night trip to Japan and Australia before I go to Singapore for a month. The "free" room costing nearly $500 for 3 nights gets kinda spendy for me.
I lived in Japan (Aomori and Fukuoka, oddly enough) but love to visit Tokyo. I have really only stayed in "business hotels", with tiny rooms and tiny bathrooms. Looking forward to staying in a "real" hotel!
A couple more questions:
1) I know that Shinjuku Ni-Chome, a nightlife area for "the gays", is about a 15-minute walk on the other side of Shinjuku station, so I assume it's about a 25-minute walk total from the hotel? I will be meeting friends there on that Saturday night, and I assume we'll be out quite late, after the trains are finished, so walking will be necessary.
2) Breakfast options: Is breakfast at Girandole all that good? I will be having buffet breakfasts on most of my mornings in Australia too, so if it's just a normal, decent buffet, I can always just get a coffee and pastry/fruit at the supermarket or a coffee shop nearby. And save the ¥¥ to offset the room upgrade cost. And does Girandole do anything special on Saturday/Sunday brunch, or is every day the same? Some hotels do have a "special" Sunday brunch.
3) Transport: I arrive into NRT at 2pm on a Friday, and depart on Monday at either 14:00 or 17:30...bad traffic times, it seems. I'm thinking the Airport Limousine Bus will hit traffic (especially on the return if I'm on the later flight), but know nothing about it. I speak Japanese, so can easily negotiate the train/subway, but will have at least one suitcase to deal with (it's winter in Tasmania now, where I'm headed after NRT!).
The cheapskate in me says to do what I always do--use the Keisei Express train @1,600 Yen, then subway from Ueno..... it's only about 20 minutes more than the Keisei Skyliner, at least to Ueno. But the idea of being dropped off at the hotel is intriguing. The N'Express is also interesting since it does go directly to Shinjuku. Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:02 am

1) That is correct, the walk from Shinjuku Ni-Chome to the hotel would take approximately 25 minutes. You could also take a taxi to the hotel for little more than the flag drop price of ¥720 (<¥1000).

2) I love starting the day with breakfast at Girandole. It is nothing out of this world I suppose, but it is a very nice breakfast up to five star hotel standards. They have continental, american, buffet, and Japanese options. For me it is absolutely essential. I would suggest that you simply try it on the first day and then make your own decision about breakfast on the following days. I have the Japanese set most days (special ordered with rice porridge instead of steamed rice), and then sometimes the buffet, which is very nice. The fresh apple juice is a favorite of mine at breakfast.

The lunch menue is different on the weekends than on weekdays at Girandole, but I am not aware of any differences at breakfast on weekends.

3) I usually would arrive by Limousine bus, and then depart by N`EX. The N`EX is the only good choice if you choose to take the train, since it will take you directly to Shinjuku. From there I would take a cab since you will have bags.

The Park Deluxe Room is certainly very nice, and I am sure you will enjoy it. Since you will be staying in the Summer, when Mt. Fuji is not visible from the West side, I recommend requesting an east view, on a high floor. Remember to order your complimentary GP coffee by room service, it is particularly nice at this hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
If nothing else, the croissants at Girandole are to die for!... You have to have that for breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.