Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bethesda REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bethesda REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any stays after WoH as Globalist? What is the breakfast? Interested to see WoH T&C explicitly states:

Should I take that as a sign that the owners of the property are so cheap that they managed to negotiate that into WoH T&C?
I think that people who have stayed here previously got so used to the "grab & go" breakfast that they are supposed to be praising the Management for the "new and improved" choices available at the Daily Grill.

Someone should make 1000 copies of those little vouchers and throw them from the top of Atrium - rain some coupons down!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 9/6 - 9/7

Location: I was glad to find this place so easy to reach from the Metro. A quick exit and I was at the entrance to the hotel. It was about a 40 minute ride from DCA with one change of trains. It's obviously easy to get an Uber around here and there area number of great restaurants nearby you can walk to.

Hotel: The hotel is an older Hyatt Regency that's been there for decades in fact but it looks really good. There's a Daily Grill , a Starbuck's and a Morton's Steakhouse in the lobby. Said lobby is recently renovated and looks really good...bright and airy.

Check In: I was thanked for being a Discoverist, told I'd get a free bottle of water, and offered a late checkout. The agent was friendly and helpful.

Room: I ended up with a corner room which I was really impressed by. A large bathroom with stand up shower, king sized bed, massive TV, outlets near the bed and a desk.

I wasn't expecting all that much from this hotel but I was very impressed, I'd gladly be back.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Any recent experience with the Globalist b'fast benefit? Assuming no news is bad news, but, then, hope springs eternal. TIA.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:30 am

Just wanted to re-post Biggie Fries' inquiry. Recent stays?

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Any recent experience with the Globalist b'fast benefit? Assuming no news is bad news, but, then, hope springs eternal. TIA.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Just wanted to re-post Biggie Fries' inquiry. Recent stays?
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I stayed in August 2019. You can get breakfast at the restaurant - you get a little card each day where you can choose several options (eggs, protein, etc). Be prepared to ask for them because the property was bad about giving Globalist benefits without prompting.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:52 am

March 2021 stay

This past week I had a short stay at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. Got a Globalist upgrade to an Ambassador Suite, and had some unfortunate initial problems that were promptly resolved by the front desk.

Covid-era breakfast is a voucher to the Brown Bag restaurant accessible through the lobby, for either a made-to-order breakfast sandwich or avocado toast. They are very serious about "no substitutions" -- I was informed that anything above the basic breakfast sandwich would result in an upcharge. I'm glad to have a made-to-order sandwich, but it's a really basic affair.

The Ambassador Suite is nicely sized, but awkwardly shaped. There is lockout access to the two adjoining rooms, and I experienced some sound bleed-through during my stay. The bedroom TV is huge, and the lighting in the bedroom is either "romantic" or "cavernous" depending on your perspective. I appreciated that the shower had a door -- seems like many recently renovated HR's are going with the open panel, which bugs me.

Parking in the attached garage is $12 a night, if you don't care about in-and-out privileges.

The general area still seems like a bit of a ghost town, compared to the before times. Still, traffic into DC was heavier than I had expected.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 3:22 pm

Any recent stays? I'm going to want some kind of breakfast (scheduling issues) and a breakfast sandwich probably won't work for me. (It's a perfectly reasonably offering, but I'm an unreasonable guy.)
Old Nov 7, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed here last week. Got breakfast coupons to use at Starbucks. There is another restaurant in the hotel that has great breakfast sandwiches. They did not have a full breakfast. I believe you can get breakfast coupons for that one too but you have to ask specifically for those. I think it was called Brown Bag. Be aware that the hotel is currently housing a large number of refugees. There were "guards" on almost every floor just hanging out. These "guards" were not armed but more random people getting paid to hang out and make sure the refugees are not harassed or in a part of the hotel where they do not belong. I had to ask the front desk who they were as they didn't volunteer that up front. It kind of freaked me out until I knew what was happening.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Overall good experience here as a lowly Discoverist on a sub-$100/night rate. Was upgraded to a large terrace room a day before before arrival, room was ready for a 1pm check-in.

Property feels a lot like the atrium style Hyatt Regency in Cambridge (MA) built in a similar era yet the Bethesda prop feels more modern and better maintained than Cambridge. Property overall appeared clean and well maintained and staff were all friendly and eager to serve. Did not have an opportunity to use the fitness center.

Only other observation is the property seems to attract large numbers of groups with middle/high school aged students but didn't experience any noise or other disruptions during my stay.

Location is great but there is currently significant construction on the Bethesda Metro plaza. Hotel still has easy access to the WMATA Red line. Went to Boston staple Tatte a few blocks away for breakfast. Would definitely return given my recent experience.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Stay here on 3 different res: 1 cert, 1 points (9,000 points) and 1 (3 nights) on corp rate. Got in late, pre-ordered a Morton's dinner to be left at front desk. Worked out well, albeit pricey. Leftovers were microwaved on 2F microwave!

No upgrades (as Globalist), but room (King) was decent size and recently renovated. Love the metal water bottles; refilled them a few times.

Globalist bfast was Sbux coffee+items (egg bites) - perfectly acceptable, though wife hit up Tatte every day.

Some problems on phones (external line down; no one picks up). Service was good when it counted (son stayed over from college visit, they had a rollout bed despite what looked like an event happening at the hotel - seems popular with events).

Location was good for food options (Bethesda Row, Tatte, True Food) and transportation on red line.

Would stay here again because of proximity to American University (though Georgetown/Park Hyatt is clearly nicer in location and hotel).
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Not so impressed

I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this property.....and can't stay that I was very impressed with what I got.

I was attending at conference in DC and all the other Hyatt properties nearby were considerably more expensive. I thought this would be a chance to save the company a few bucks and try out a new property. "No good deed goes unpunished".

I arrived about 4:40PM and used the self-parking facility that is below the hotel but not operated by the property. If you take the parking elevator to P3 (best to just park on P3) you can then walk into the hotel and take the hotel elevator to the front desk. Arriving at the check-in desk I found three people at the desk and a pretty quiet lobby area. At check-in there was initially no acknowledgement of Globalist status, just "credit card and ID please". As it appeared the check-in person was wrapping up without checking for Globalist upgrades etc, I prompted. I believe the person was new, she was very friendly though. It was going to take a while for the upgraded room to be ready so I just stuck with the regular room. It was noted that I was already "upgraded" to a room on the top floor. Not sure that is really means much to be honest. Oh well, it really wasn't that important on a relatively short business stay. I then inquired about breakfast and was told there was a Brown Bag restaurant attached to the hotel but not a part of of the hotel. On wait, you mean Globalist Breakfast. Then we give you this card for a sandwich and coffee at the Starbucks, again attached but not a part of the hotel. There is no room service and no hotel restaurant, just the Mortons that is again, "attached but not run by the hotel". This full service property is looking like anything but to me.

The room was good sized, relatively modern but definitely nothing to get excited about. The biggest issue I had was the wifi was horrible. I did call and ask if they were having problems and again, a very inexperienced person on the phone was really not sure what to do. She finally said she would call engineering to see if there were any problem and for me to call back later. I asked, "could you just call me after you talk to them and let me know"? The answer was NO. Cant do that. I was absolutely floored to be honest. Great customer service. I said the heck with it and just used my phone hotspot and turned off video on my zoom call.

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing to like about this property. I can't say that it is a horrible property so if you are desperate to stay at a Hyatt, then you will survive but I see nothing that compels me to want to return. I do consider this less than what I expect from a "full service" Hyatt property and hopeful this isn't a part of the new brand standard.

iluvdoco likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this property.....and can't stay that I was very impressed with what I got.

I was attending at conference in DC and all the other Hyatt properties nearby were considerably more expensive. I thought this would be a chance to save the company a few bucks and try out a new property. "No good deed goes unpunished".

I arrived about 4:40PM and used the self-parking facility that is below the hotel but not operated by the property. If you take the parking elevator to P3 (best to just park on P3) you can then walk into the hotel and take the hotel elevator to the front desk. Arriving at the check-in desk I found three people at the desk and a pretty quiet lobby area. At check-in there was initially no acknowledgement of Globalist status, just "credit card and ID please". As it appeared the check-in person was wrapping up without checking for Globalist upgrades etc, I prompted. I believe the person was new, she was very friendly though. It was going to take a while for the upgraded room to be ready so I just stuck with the regular room. It was noted that I was already "upgraded" to a room on the top floor. Not sure that is really means much to be honest. Oh well, it really wasn't that important on a relatively short business stay. I then inquired about breakfast and was told there was a Brown Bag restaurant attached to the hotel but not a part of of the hotel. On wait, you mean Globalist Breakfast. Then we give you this card for a sandwich and coffee at the Starbucks, again attached but not a part of the hotel. There is no room service and no hotel restaurant, just the Mortons that is again, "attached but not run by the hotel". This full service property is looking like anything but to me.

The room was good sized, relatively modern but definitely nothing to get excited about. The biggest issue I had was the wifi was horrible. I did call and ask if they were having problems and again, a very inexperienced person on the phone was really not sure what to do. She finally said she would call engineering to see if there were any problem and for me to call back later. I asked, "could you just call me after you talk to them and let me know"? The answer was NO. Cant do that. I was absolutely floored to be honest. Great customer service. I said the heck with it and just used my phone hotspot and turned off video on my zoom call.

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing to like about this property. I can't say that it is a horrible property so if you are desperate to stay at a Hyatt, then you will survive but I see nothing that compels me to want to return. I do consider this less than what I expect from a "full service" Hyatt property and hopeful this isn't a part of the new brand standard.

Thanks for reporting! I never know whether or not to like bad reviews, but I LIKE your contribution!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.