Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bethesda REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2001, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Hey, all:

I have a stay coming up in the DC area...MD is the most convenient location for me...any experience, good or bad, with this hotel?

Any other viewpoints, pro or con, on nearby Hyatts?

Thanks,

O/H
Old Dec 18, 2001, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA PE, AA, CO, Hertz President's Club, Starwood, Hyatt GP, HHonors, Fairmont, Marriott...
Hi Occupational,

I stayed there for about 3 months in the summer of 1999. As a Hyatt it was neither bad nor exceptional. The gym isn't very good. The Regency Club is very small, but at least you can grab some breakfast.

I must say, however, this was the only hotel I have ever stayed in (and my hotel nights are a lot in a year) in which I have had to endure not one, but two fire evacuations! They both happened within one week of each other. Thankfully nothing serious but nothing like getting roused up in the middle of the night and figuring out what to put on and carry out with you (e.g. purse, laptop).
Old Dec 18, 2001, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I like the hotel- although I stayed there before they had a RC.Without the RC, they did a poor job of upgrading Diamonds.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Bethesda is ordinary and unless you really need to stay in MD there are better Hyatts in Metro DC.
1 - Park Hyatt 24th & M for a great splurge in a great neighborhood (but no RC).
2 - Reston (do a search on this board and stay there unless its too much driving) probably the best overall value. Great gym.
3 - Grand Hyatt 10th & H is really good for a large intown hotel and very convenient to the MCI hockey rink. Excellent Regency Clubroom.

[This message has been edited by monitor (edited 12-18-2001).]
Old Dec 19, 2001, 7:00 am

Here are some words in favor of the Bethesda Hyatt---it's surrounded by great dining and sits right on top of a metro station. Location is very convenient--subway downtown is about 20 minutes-max.

I've had lots of friends and family stay here, no one has had serious complaints.

Of course, if you've got someone else willing to pay big bucks for your room, go ahead and book downtown. The Park Hyatt houses Melrose, one of the finest dining rooms in DC.

If you're working in Tysons or Reston, book out there.

If you're on a budget, or would like a quiet location where you can walk around and restaurant windowshop, stay in bethesda.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 7:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
I like the Bethesda. It does not have a Regency Club, but I have always been given a room on the top floor which includes a breakfast in what used to be the club room.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 8:24 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"...Regency Club is very small..."

I thought it lacked a RC, no? Am I mistaken? Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:00 am

Programs: UA PE, AA, CO, Hertz President's Club, Starwood, Hyatt GP, HHonors, Fairmont, Marriott...
Well, maybe it wasn't a Regency Club 'per se' but they had a small room with the seating area, TV, mags/papers and continental breakfast. Small or not, it was still good to grab freebie breakfast

I stayed here because it was the most convenient/closest Hyatt to the project office I was working in. Had it been feasible, I probably would have stayed downtown.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I suppose I should have been a little more specific, in that I would prefer to stay in Bethesda, b/c I am visting my g/f over the holidays, and she is still part of the "Young and Exploited" segment of the work force, and I wanted to get her out of her apartment for the night on Friday, before we zip out of town on Saturday, for reasons dealing with roommates of the 20-something variety, etc. I am pretty low-maintenance as a traveler, and simply want something reasonbly nice/relatively quiet, etc., and the Bethesda Hyatt looks like it will fit the bill--minus any fire drills, etc. 8-)

So, thanks again.

Regards,

O/H

Old Dec 20, 2001, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
I have only been to the Bethesda Hyatt for a conference once. It is very metro accessible and you have stores and great restaurants around. Although suburban location, it felt more like a downtown of a midsize city.

Not certain about rooms, upgrades, etc. however I did pass by the pool once and it was nice. Never saw the gym though.

Great rates on weekends both in MD and VA and less tax. Makes you wonder why anyone would choose to stay in DC!

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:26 am

any updates on this hotel? I have a stay this upcoming weekend and would be thankful for more recent input
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the hotel was completely renovated in 2003.

Originally Posted by chobby100
any updates on this hotel? I have a stay this upcoming weekend and would be thankful for more recent input
stayed there july 2003. all rooms were fully renovated. new furnitures, new beds, new window treatment, brandnew bathroom. higher floors have slightly better decor.

dont know about RC as at that time the renovation for the rooms were completed but for the restaurants etc were still going on.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: QFF WP
Hyatt Regency Bethesda MD

Does anyone have experience at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda MD -- an upcoming trip is taking me to the NIH, and I am bewildered by the assortment of hotels nearby..... a recommedation or report would be most welcome

Cheers!

Last edited by mrkz; Apr 7, 2006 at 7:27 am
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:29 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
i quite like the Bethesda Hyatt, however it can be quite expensive for what it is. basically a good solid 4 star (think Adelaide, as opposed to Sydney stars).
it is directly above the Metro , excellent restaurants nearby. Wireless broadband , reasonable Bistro but the cafes a few block away are better.
Staff are Ok. Ask for a corner room away from the main road which can be noisy.
Gym is pretty ho hum, but there is a nice running trail for about 8 miles that starts at Bethesda. I much prefer this Hyatt to the Gh or Park in the centre of town.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:01 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
The terrace suites are quite nice... great place for a FT DO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.