Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

My first experience getting "walked" as a diamond.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first experience getting "walked" as a diamond.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by kevino
I would be happy to be walked for 15k points......unless it was my 16th night for the current promo.
I agree, that's why they should give the stay credit as well
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by rfrost
I think they should have held your room for you and walked a non-Diamond.
^

At some point in the night, they got down to a handful of rooms (let's say two or three) and one or two more than that number of reservations - at that point they should have walked the non-Diamond.

Unless the last 3-8 check ins were all Diamonds, the front desk staff blew it when they checked in that last non-Diamond.

Still, I agree, 15k and stay credit and no charge was not bad compensation - if you had somewhere to shower.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
In regards to the stay credit, I had something happen this year at the HR San Antonio. I arrive at the hotel and the power is out for the whole block. I eventually get walked (well, free taxi ride) to the Grand Hyatt for the night, and the night is comped. I did not receive stay credit as I did not pay for a room. I even asked my Private Line rep and she said no: didn't stay at the HR so no stay there and didn't pay at the Grand so no stay there.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Note to self, next time I'm walked and offered a free night, force a room reservation rate of $1 or $10 if possible, for getting a night credit
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:33 pm

Harborside comped my room one time, and stay credit was an issue for me. they said I would still get stay credit and I did.

-David
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rfrost
I think they should have held your room for you and walked a non-Diamond.
Originally Posted by canyonleo
^

At some point in the night, they got down to a handful of rooms (let's say two or three) and one or two more than that number of reservations - at that point they should have walked the non-Diamond.

Unless the last 3-8 check ins were all Diamonds, the front desk staff blew it when they checked in that last non-Diamond.

Still, I agree, 15k and stay credit and no charge was not bad compensation - if you had somewhere to shower.
OP arrived at 2 AM. Let's say by 1 AM there is 1 room left, and 2 outstanding reservations. What do you do when 1 person shows up at 1 AM? Walk them or give them the room?

Both posters above advocate holding the room for the diamond member.

What if, by your virtue of running the back office, you know that of those reservations that do not check by 1AM, 90% of them end up as complete no-shows? Do you still incur an actual hard cost (paying money to another property) to walk a guest at 1AM, for the 10% chance that your diamond member will still show up?

My bet is that properties with actual knowledge of the above numbers are simply making the proper business decision to avoid sending someone to a competing property after 1AM when there are still available rooms in their own property.

The cost of one occurrence 15K GP points/free night/whatever else is almost surely less than sending someone to a competing property 9 other times.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by baliktad
OP arrived at 2 AM. Let's say by 1 AM there is 1 room left, and 2 outstanding reservations. What do you do when 1 person shows up at 1 AM? Walk them or give them the room?

What if, by your virtue of running the back office, you know that of those reservations that do not check by 1AM, 90% of them end up as complete no-shows? Do you still incur an actual hard cost (paying money to another property) to walk a guest at 1AM, for the 10% chance that your diamond member will still show up?

My bet is that properties with actual knowledge of the above numbers are simply making the proper business decision to avoid sending someone to a competing property after 1AM when there are still available rooms in their own property.

The cost of one occurrence 15K GP points/free night/whatever else is almost surely less than sending someone to a competing property 9 other times.
Let's say he never showed up. Would he have been charged as a "no show" because he did not cancel his reservation?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by baliktad

This is a decision that the manager must make. I'd be surprised if this didn't happen all of the time. ... one of the reasons why I call after 9PM if I'm going to be late.

Originally Posted by JoshC
Let's say he never showed up. Would he have been charged as a "no show" because he did not cancel his reservation?
Yes. But you already knew that.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
This is a decision that the manager must make. I'd be surprised if this didn't happen all of the time. ... one of the reasons why I call after 9PM if I'm going to be late.

Yes. But you already knew that.
Exactly why I believe the room should have been there waiting on him.

- I usually click the late check in option when I make my reservations to be safe.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:28 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JoshC
Yes, assuming there are 2 reservations and only 1 room, both reservations will be charged per the cancellation policy. Let's assume for the purposes of this discussion that the cancellation policy for both is 6PM on day of arrival (the most generous cancellation policy I am aware of). By 6PM, the manager knows that he will be collecting revenue for both reservations. When the non elite shows up at 1AM, the manager has a choice:

- assign the customer who is present the room that is vacant (cost: effectively $0)
- walk the customer who is present to a nearby property (cost: prevailing or negotiated rate, example $100)

If nine times out of ten, the oversold second person does not arrive, that is 9 x $100 = $900 lost that could have been saved simply by assigning the early customer the room that was available. There are very few managers in their right minds that would allow that kind of behavior. It's not good business to lose money just to avoid a rare inconveniencing of a guest, Diamond or otherwise.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is why a hotel should pay a significant penalty for walking a diamond, and 15,000 points just isn't enough. When I get to a hotel dead tired at 2am, I am not one of those people who would view it as a victory if they threw 15,000 points at me. If I am sufficiently loyal to a hotel chain to give them 1/7th of my nights each year, I would expect to have a room waiting -- and not just any room, the quality of room I was entitled to.

As has been pointed out in other threads, that is what Marriott has accomplished by increasing the penalty imposed on a hotel significantly if they walk a highest tier elite. Hyatt needs to have a similar policy.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:54 am
Community Director Emerita

I was very surprised to be walked a year or so ago from the Hyatt Place Albuquerque and learn that Hyatt had no walk policy.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Some additional information

I realized the next day that I booked the IBM rate of $88.

If I am the front desk agent and I have to comp a night I would look to comp the cheaper of the two travelers.

I had another stay there two nights later and they put me in their Presidential Suite and comped my parking.

I am satisfied with the outcome, I was leaving early the next morning and was travelling alone so just needed a place to crash and clean up.

Had I been with my family or entertaining it would have been an entirely different story.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was very surprised to be walked a year or so ago from the Hyatt Place Albuquerque and learn that Hyatt had no walk policy.
More generally, Hyatt Place has no customer service policy. HP was added to the chain to make them large enough to go public so they could resolve the Pritzker family lawsuits. It's the child locked in the basement that they don't want to admit to.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Kudos to the OP for his follow up with 2nd post. Taking all into account, I think compensation was fair...but more importantly, OP thought it was fair.

And although I agree that this hotel is not spectacular, I think it far above most airport hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.