Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:40 pm

The hotel website says their renovations are complete. Has anyone stayed recently that can comment on whether the west or east tower rooms are nicer?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Stayed on the 33rd floor in the West Tower. Had a normal-sized king room with a pretty good view. Thought the room layout was a little weird since the bed was in the middle of the room (wasn't up against the wall) and the desk was attached to the back of the bed (which meant that if you were seated at the desk, the nice window view is actually to your BACK).

Room and bathroom looked renovated - no complaints.

Club on the 35th floor was okay - standard fruit, smoked salmon, bread, muffins, pastries, cereal, etc. for breakfast. (No hot oatmeal...at least not that I could find.)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JY1024
Stayed on the 33rd floor in the West Tower. Had a normal-sized king room with a pretty good view. Thought the room layout was a little weird since the bed was in the middle of the room (wasn't up against the wall) and the desk was attached to the back of the bed (which meant that if you were seated at the desk, the nice window view is actually to your BACK).

Room and bathroom looked renovated - no complaints.

Club on the 35th floor was okay - standard fruit, smoked salmon, bread, muffins, pastries, cereal, etc. for breakfast. (No hot oatmeal...at least not that I could find.)
I had a similar room. It was fine. No frills but I'd come back.

Hot oatmeal is a good idea for the club. Perhaps it could be suggested.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:42 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
staying here for the first time today... upgraded to Junior Suite as a diamond in the east wing. wanted to check if the east wing is better or the west, and if the regency club room is better than the junior suite? (the pricing for the Regency club is higher, hence the q)

Edit: this is a bad idea: the connected rooms mean the guy next door is banging his door and I can't sleep

Last edited by A2A; Dec 21, 2011 at 6:53 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Posted on Facebook, 1/12/2012:

"Snow much fun! Take shelter with us for our snow storm special. Book tonight for $79 plus complimentary valet parking. See you tonight!"

(Also, please note I did NOT start a new thread.)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
When in Chicago I've usually stayed at the Park Hyatt. When they had closed NOMI and the Health Club for renovation I moved my stays to the old Hyatt Regency on Wacker.

The Hyatt Regency Chicago is Hyatt's largest convention hotel, it's a dated monster over looking the Chicago River and really has never been a place I wanted to stay at, now it's sort of a toss up between the Park and the Regency. What I like about the Regency is the friendly service and the awesome views, also this hotel goes out of its way for it's Platinum and Diamond Guest starting with a VIP check in desk. During my past stays they have made every effort to make sure I got THE VIEW.. Once during a past stay they had double booked my room and another guest had walked in on me. The hotel was quick to respond with a call from a manager who offered me a one night's credit, 15,000 point, free dinner and a few bottles of wine. He also gave me his number and email offering to take care of me when I returned.

When I returned they upgraded me to a LARGE suite with a beautiful view of the Chicago River, Tribune Tower and Wrigley Building. ^^^ Really a nice way to enjoy Chicago.

WEST TOWER:
Staying in the West Tower where the Regency Club Level is located is sort of a hotel of it's own. You're in another building with it's own entrance, you avoid the large convention crowds who are hanging in the lobby, bar and restaurants. It sort of has a residential feel, entering from the street, pass the porter in the lobby, then off to the elevators.

REGENCY CLUB
This not my favorite as the offerings are pretty cheap... but the Regency Club host is wonderful!!! she goes above and beyond to make sure the Regency Club visits are enjoyable. Often I have spent evenings in this club hanging out with other guest and the host chatting and having a good time.... it's really something I have not seen at other Regency Clubs.

In brief this hotel has never been a must stay Hyatt for me... but I have grown to love it because of the views, the "More than Welcomed' service, VIP touches, excellent management and the friendly Regency Club host who is a joy!

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Jun 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I too like this property

I like the location (here now). Able to walk just about anywhere which is nice (went to ArtFest which was in Old Town and Blues Fest which was in Grant Park today). I like the lounge. I haven't seen offerings like this in the properties that I stay at so it's a treat. Nice to be able to get water all day. I chose the amenity today - kind of weird. Bottle of iced tea and Heinekin (which I selected) but the "fresh fruit" were 3 small apples.

I also like the fact that at this property I don't have to wait long to get an elevator.

The only bummer is that they are 100% sold out for the rest of the week so I need to find another place to move to.

One of the things that really stands out for me is that if there is a problem the manager responds quickly, efficiently, and effectively. The management team seems to care what the guests here think and how they can improve their experience.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
BINGO!!! me too, management at this property is top notch, just like DFW Grand... Unlike the Andaz Wall Street who leave you with the impression they don't care.

Originally Posted by ldsant
One of the things that really stands out for me is that if there is a problem the manager responds quickly, efficiently, and effectively. The management team seems to care what the guests here think and how they can improve their experience.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Stayed at this hotel last week for ~4 days.

Overall, I thought it was a rather average hyatt regency in terms of the decor and look and feel of the property. Being a little dated and a convention property, I had my expectations pretty low to start out with. We stayed on the regency level. I would say it was probably on par with the Hyatt Regency San Francisco.

As other people have mentioned, the service here was actually pretty top notch. We were greeted well; it was a special occasion trip for my significant other and I - this was noted on the reservation. They showed up to the room later in the evening with some really good chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of white wine. Not the best wine, so we ended up not partaking in it.

Overall, I liked the layout of the room and the location of the hotel with regards to the places to visit around grant park and the river/lake side tourist stuff. I felt like we could walk anywhere and get pretty good food or shopping. Also enjoyed the summer concerts a couple blocks away at Grant Park.

Minor Complaint:
MiniBar - I really wish that hotels would stock a fridge instead of a mini bar. Constantly filling up ice to keep drinks and food cold always bothers me.

The regency club here is "OK" at best. It was massively crowded the first couple of days and then had a limited selection of snacks and smaller crowd the following days. Some huge convention was in town the first two days we were there.

Issue/Issue resolution:
Per the discussion earlier in the thread - I was really impressed with the staff at the hotel. We had a rather sizable problem with our room on day 2/3 - there was a smell of sewage gas emanating from the toilet. We had service up a couple times to fix it and it appeared to abate a little bit. We left for the day and came back and the commode at this point completely stopped working. Service sent up a wonderful woman who looked at the toilet and determined it needed to be removed and obviously we would need to relocate. She was nice about the whole situation and quite personable. A hotel manager came up, found the room for us, and offered to help move us. In addition, she offered to comp some dinner (which we declined), since I'm really not one to complain and ask for anything. It was an issue and got resolved quickly and to our satisfaction - crap happens (pun intended). Later that evening, house keeping came buy with a rather nice Pinot and some cookies with a little note saying than you for being cool about the problems. We both thought it was a wonderful touch.

Overall, I think we would probably stay here going back to Chicago and I would have no issues recommending the hotel. Not nearly as nice as the Park Hyatt, but then again its not nearly the cost.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
We are staying here next week, using Diamond Suite upgrade , confimation pre arrival e mail says "suite connector" anyone know whuat type of suite this means? just curious Im sure it will be nice
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Can anyone tell me what the current Diamond amenity F&B choice is for this property?

Staying at the end of August …

Thanks!

(although hotel is sold out, so can’t get an upgrade at the moment)

Last edited by Wembleygal; Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 am Reason: forgot the F&B
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Can anyone tell me what the current Diamond amenity F&B choice is for this property?

Staying at the end of August

Thanks!

(although hotel is sold out, so cant get an upgrade at the moment)
They presented me with a menu of selections. I chose 2 beers and some apples.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:24 pm

Quick question for those who've been in the Regency Club -

Would the club be a good place to have a meeting for about 6 business associates after the post-breakfast rush?

The hotel does have a good lobby space - but trying to find a more intimate setting without being as closed off as a suite.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by a330300

Would the club be a good place to have a meeting for about 6 business associates after the post-breakfast rush?

The hotel does have a good lobby space - but trying to find a more intimate setting without being as closed off as a suite.
There's a nice area at the entrance area to hold a group of people, but I wouldn't say it would be suitable for a business meeting (atleast for me).
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by a330300

I wouldn't hold a business meeting in a lobby or any other public place (anybody can walk in on you). Why not call the GM and ask if there is a small conference room you could have for the meeting time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.