Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2001, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

I have tended to avoid this property, due to the overall 'convention' feel to it, but I had to stay there last night (ps- I was using a free weekend stay), and found some interesting changes. As a Diamond, upon checking in I was handed the amenity card (as usual), and then told please wait here while I get the hotel manager who wants to 'greet' you. The manager than walks over, shakes my hand and tells me how happy she is to have me staying at their property. She then hands me an envelope with my name on it and my room key & a note about the RC hours inside. I then proceed up to my room in the West tower, but not on the RC floor (I did have access). No real improvement in rooms, I was given an end room with a view of the river, and if I stood at a far angle I could make out a sliver of the lake.
The RC club is still the same, although now there are 3 computer terminal set up for guests to browse the web etc.
Overall, while I believe they are trying--I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there, I still prefer the Printers Row or the newer Rosemont Hyatt, and of course the expensive Chicago Park Hyatt.
Old Nov 24, 2001, 5:56 pm

any opinions on Regency Chicago?

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Chicago in December, using a NAN free weekend. Anybody who's been there recently have any opinions on how good/bad it is? I'm staying with the little lady so it's important!

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2001, 8:08 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
It is a typical large convention style Hyatt. Perfectly adequate, but not much more. They have been closing the RC when there is not much "traffic". I asked and did get a small breakfast coupon. They are connected to a fairly large underground network of buildings -- there are several food court areas just outside the hotel proper -- so if you are looking for cheaper quick meals that's where to look. The hotel's restaurants are not great -- use the underground to go to either the Swiss Hotel or Fairmont for the GOOD food.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Chicago Remodeled

I'm pleased to say I'm currently sitting in the RC club here which has been totally redone. Additionally, it seems the rooms have been updated. The decor now seems to be more modern/ParkHyatt'ish. My room (not on the club floor), has a coffemaker & regular hair dryer (not that awful tube thing in the wall!). The bed is situated in the middle of the room facing strangely enough away from the windows and the fantastic lake view. The colours are all dark browns, tans and muted tones. And hooray! there are lots of outlets in full view along the walls for telephones, irons, etc.
The only strange thing was upon check in, where after I presented my Diamond card and received my 'amenity choice' card, I asked if I was on the RC floor. I was told "no, there are no rooms available, but do you want to have access to it"? I said yes, and she took my room card back and activated it for the RC floor. If I hadn't asked, I suppose I wouldn't have been able to get into the club. So for future reference, always ask!
Old Jun 17, 2002, 9:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

mauld - thanks for the post. I was there for the ORD and was on RC floor, so freshly renovated that I smelled new carpets and wallpaper glue. I had wondered if the rest of the hotel has the same type of "decor".
Old Jul 4, 2002, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

As a Diamond I stayed there about 2 weeks ago and yes the RC is open and recently remodeled. The computer access is now in a separate room to the left after you enter the RC. The decor is understated, but other than that nothing much has changed. I was given a room not on the RC floor and yes, it was redone. The style is very much Park Hyatt/ W ish, with sleek lines. The bed now is in the center of the room with the headboard dividing the room. The bed faces away from the windows / view and towards the TV. The only strange thing was the shower. If you check others on this Hyatt site you will find problems listed with the shower. I received my usual amenity, but did have to 'ask' for access to the RC at check in. They then took my key card back and reprogramed it.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:17 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Help this newbie w/ 1st stay at H Regency Chicago

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago (N. Michigan Ave.) area on a Priceline booking. I am a Gold Passport member. I have called and a very helpful rep linked my GP account number to my reservation number already.

I did a search here on this property and did not find much. The hotel reviews in Sheryl's website leave much to be desired on this property. I understand that a bunch of rooms have been renovated recently.

I don't care about or expect getting points or stay credit on a Priceline rate. But is there anything I can do to get a better room? A better room for me will be a larger renovated room primarily and if it has a lake view it will be groovy

I know about 1-800-CHECKIN, Should I call it or just try to be nice to the check in CSR? What is the ideal time to check in or is it a luck of the draw (whatever is open at the time)? Not totally clear on the benefits of Gold GP members...is there anything worthwile for the lowly nongoldnonplatinum members?

Which restaurants are good? How is the gym?

And some general location questions (realizing that the Travel forum may be a better place to post these):

How far is the hotel from the Amtrak station? How far from the nearest subway station?

Any comments/input greatly appreciated.

Points on

[This message has been edited by gpapadop (edited 07-18-2002).]
Old Jul 19, 2002, 8:26 am

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
I know the rooms in the WEST tower (away from the lake, which is NOT the tower where you check-in) have been renovated, at least those on the RC levels.

I believe they have "added" a gym. It used to be down the block, which was AWESOME (as long as it didn't snow). You were given access to the Lakeshore Athletic Club and could see MJ and Scottie on any given day. It was right next to my office in the Amoco building, so worked out great. I believe that they added a gym in the EAST tower now however. My advice, run / walk outside. It is such a beautiful and safe city!

The closest "el" is at Lake and Randolph or Lake and Washington. If you take the blue line from ORD, this would be where you would get off. Unfortunately when we there in November, there was so much construction we ended up crossing the river twice in order to get there (you should not have to cross it at all...)

I would suggest also walking to the GREAT restaurants in this town.

If you like seafood, Mr. Boulder says "Catch 35!"

If you like midwest meat, try "Gibsons" (if you can get in...call weeks in advance!)

If you like Italian, try "Carmines" or "Rosebud on Rush". They are all part of the Rosebud corporation and are fantastic. Carmines is up at Rush and Division.

We love The Napa Valley Grille, which is YUM. (Part of the CA Cafe chain ... Constellation Restaurants.)

If you like pie, try Giordano's or Gino's for true Chicago pizza. The original Pizzeria Uno / Due is great as well. My husband loves Eduardos and I love Ranallis.

Any more questions??? Definitely get a box of Frango Mints at Marshall Fields.
Old Oct 8, 2002, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
I'll be at this property this weekend (Chicago marathon weekend). I know that the hotel is sold out and am using my Faster Free Nights Promo. What are my chances as a diamond of still being able to get some type of upgrade? And also, if I can request a certain section of the hotel to stay in, where do you recommend? Does this hotel have towers?
Old Oct 8, 2002, 2:07 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
The West Tower (26 floors) is where to be. The RC is on the 35th and the 34th is considered an RC floor as well!

Would like to know how your stay is. As a diamond even on FFN, you should be given access due to the new August Letter.

Have a great run. Mr. BHH did 1994 and Mrs. BHH's brother's wife did 1999.

Do you know where you are going to eat and what else you are going to do there!!!
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:51 pm
DOC 2 BE

I was just there last week. Defintely the West Tower, I was on the 30th floor in a new Deluxe Room -- modern with a bed desk combo. I liked it as the front of the room was all living/sleep space, and the desk area was limited to the back. The wife worked, while I slept!

WE were in room with a view of the Chicago River, Navy Pier and the Lake.

Diamond amenity was a chioice of cookies or fruit or dried snacks (Goldfish) and a bottle of wine (Berringer White Zinfandel) or 2 beers or 2 waters.

One problem was that the room thermostat (new) has no setting for the speed of the fan. I like to sleep cold and had to se it very low! You can ask for a box fan and it will cool off the room and circulate the air better -- was told that they were going to change these to "normal" thermostats with a fan setting.

If you get West Tower, check in there and avoid the zoo at the front desk in the East Tower.

I likee the health club, for what it was, at lest 4 regular treadmills, 2 rowing machines, stair masters and some weights.

I do not think that my room was any different than those on the RC floors, and I did not have to insert a card all the time to get to my floor!

RC club was very nice.

Morning breakfast in my opinion was not that good, but I chose the yogurts. You can get Starbucks coffee there all day long.

Evening hors deovres were quite good. One night was, believe it or not, baby lamb chops which were probably the best I ever had!

Even the egg rolls and fried chicken filets were better than normal. The cheese plate was always out during that time and was quite good.

Don't know about evening desserts.

Ann and Jay are the best conceirges, Sean is good, as well. Carolyn is terrible, unless you like someone not doing anything for you and giving you lip.

Morning - 6:30-9:30/10.
Hor Deovurves - 5:30 - 8:00
Desserts - 8:30 - 9:30

Any other questions just ask.

By the way, do the Chicago Architectural Foundation boat tour which is at the river directly opposite the hotel. Sign up at least a day ahead!

House of Blues is a 10 - 15 min walk and Smith and Wolensky is right there, as well.

The Palm is in the Swisshotel which is a 5 min walk from the hotel, when you exit the front doors and walk to the right on Wacker.

Field Museum has both the Chocolate and Pearls exhibititons, not to mention Sue, the T-Rex!

Enjoy!

PS --

I found their phone # -- 1-888-725-3706

http://www.chicagohyatt.com/index.phtml

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 10-09-2002).]

Old Oct 9, 2002, 5:33 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
last time I stayed there I was upgraded to one of largest suites I've ever had.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
Hey everyone, I hope you all had a nice weekend. Well, here's my review of the Hyatt Regency Chicago.

I had used 800-check-in that morning to get my room. A RC corner room on the 33rd floor was already set aside for me in the West Tower. The room was nice. Because it was a corner room (with an amazing view by the way of Navy Pier all the way to the Wrigley Building) I didn't have the funny bed in the middle of the room thing that everyone has been talking about. My bed was against the wall and attached to the wall I had a moveable light fixture above each side of the King bed. I guess b/c I was on the RC floor, I also had free internet access in the room (I'm not sure if this is standard for other rooms though). The decor of the room was very W Hotel stylish. The bed was comfortable, although, not the same thing as a W bed, if you know what I mean.

Flew in Friday night and was supposed to meet friends for dinner. Taking Doc 2 Be's advice, I checked in at the West Tower to avoid the rush of people in the East/Main Tower. I actually never stepped foot in the East/Main Tower area. My plan, upon arrival, was to take a quick shower and then meet up with my friends to go to dinner. While taking my shower, I noticed that the tub was filling up rather quickly (the drain was clogged). Well, I finished my shower and called maintenance to come fix it as I was leaving. The problem was solved upon my return that evening and my diamond amenity also had arrived on time. These were two big bonus point earners considering I was ready for service to be bad since the hotel was completely sold out due to several conferences being held in the building and the marathon.

I went to the RC club the next morning for breakfast. The club seemed nicely decorated. However, I feel it was a little small, being Hyatt's largest property. It was, however, comprised of a couple of rooms, with another room housing computers with internet access. Of course the club had your standard continental breakfast, a huge rack of newspapers, and a large screen television.

I think my biggest suggestion for the property would be to consider making some elevators express to their RC floors or maybe the top 10 or something along those lines. Often, I had a long wait for an elevator, and then when I did have one, I usually stopped at least 5-6 times to pick up other people.

Would I stay there again???
Definitely. Although, I'm still interested in trying the Park Hyatt in Chicago (which I've heard some great things about), so I may try there the next time I'm planning a trip to Chi town.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
I also had a recent stay there, scheduled to depart on marathon Sunday. They were oversold by 150 rooms that night, and as I was worried about getting out to O'hare on Sunday AM I ask if they would make a deal for my boss and I to check out early. They offered to waive all incidentals on our rooms (room & tax were on our clients master bill), and gave me 6,000 GP points. We had about $120 in meals, etc on the rooms. I moved to Hyatt Rosemont for the night, at a cheaper rate as well.
I had a decent room on the 24th flr, nice view of river & Wrigley bldg, window that opens. Glad to see they've gotten rid of the outrageous mini-bars there, but still don't understand why they don't let the gift shop sell beverages when they close their coffee shop early and have no soda machines.
Best bet is to hit the Urban Market just past the business center in the passageway towards the Swisshotel if you are looking for beverages, food, wine, hot meals & soup at lunchtime. Open till 8 during the week.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:13 pm

More importantly...where did you eat!!!

Anyone stayed at the Hyatt Rosemont? My parents are hitting it on Saturday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.