Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

johor bahru, malaysia REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2001, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Just came back from an extremel unpleasant stay at this hotel. Hotel is very worn, customer service terrible, on arrival as I struggled to get my luggage out of taxi bellman looked at me and walked the other way! Unfortunately this was typical of the service from then on.
The restaurant food was terrible and I waited one hour for tea (could not flag down anyone nor even find them) at breakfast before giving up.
Having just completed 2 stays at Hiltons in other Malaysia locations - which were wonderful- I was very disappointed in Hyatt! My only regret is that I did not follow my first instinct and change hotels after the first night. I have written a long letter which I will send tomorrow - any one know the chance of a reply?
Old Jan 29, 2001, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
No, it opened in 1995!

I have voiced my complaints there as well and basically told teh management that it doesn't even deserve to be branded a Hyatt much less a Hyatt REGENCY! However, this is Malaysia, and Johor Bahru (my hometown!), you shouldn't expect much since this is one of the top 2 hotels in that city!

I'm sure your rate didn't exceed US$50 per night either.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Interestingly enough the rates they quote in USD on the web site are 2 or 3 times as high as what they quote at the hotel! I did get the "local" rate - but just checked on the web to make sure I had a good rate 180 Mal nett (about US 45) while the web site was advertising a "special" of over 90 US.
I too can't believe that this is allowed to operate as a Hyatt - I will probably never stay in another Hyatt (well maybe except for a free night ) after this stay - so it is really doing them a disservice.
I don't know that I will stay in JB again - but is the Crown Plaza nice? I also looked at the Pan Pacific (the one I should have transferred to) and the room s were a bit nicer, but the staff was MUCH nicer - and I wasn't even staying there. The lobby and other public areas of the PP were also what one would expect for this class hotel unlike the dowdy Hyatt.

I have stayed in many other hotels in Malaysia - mostly in KL - never paid over US 60 and had incrediblle experiences - the Hyatt would have been worth about US 20 in comparison (if I was feeling generous) - but if I had wanted that kind of hotel I wouldn't have booked a Hyatt.

I had just come from the new Hilton in Seremban where I had a wonderful suite and wonderful attention from all the staff (which more than made up for some of the problems of a new property) so the contrast was even worse.

[This message has been edited by estnet (edited 01-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by estnet (edited 01-29-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 6:42 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I just stayed there for two one night stays last week. As a diamond I was upgraded to RC, but got no amenity. At $43 a night I have no complaints (except no clocks in the room) and received a full breakfast. And I had a very good meal in the Japanese restuarant. BTW the Hyatt Kuantan has apparently just redone the rooms now back up to Hyatt quality.
Old Jul 7, 2001, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Stayed at this place in June. Got an upgrade to the RC floor as the hotel was otherwise full with some church group. I agreed it is a little worn and tired but not too bad - the exterior could do with a cleaning though. Service wasn't too bad either (for Malaysia) - nowhere near as bad as estnet experienced. Rate of MYR 180 inc. tax and breakfast isn't too bad (and it controbuted to a SPP award too). I understand that the rates are sometimes as low as MYR 100.

Old Jul 9, 2001, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hyatt Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia is no picnic either. We stayed two nights and left. Shangri-la is FAR superior and only a little more money.

We went by the one at Jahore Bahru when it was new. The hotel looked OK but the location???

My advice, since the original question was what to do about a complaint, is to write to the CEO of Hyatt. When the hotels have failed me, the CEO really jumps in: refund, free nights, points, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 9:12 pm

I was surprised to see that Hyatt has a property in JB at all... it is neither a prime area for business travellers nor for holiday makers. It must be quite difficult to price a hotel so low and still keep up the Hyatt style.
There are a few Hyatts in Indonesia's provinces which are also not too exciting. Their flagship property in Jakarta is already overdue for renovation...
But I heard that the resort-style Grand Hyatt Saujana near KL's airport is very nice.
For JB, I'd probably stay in Singapore's Grand Hyatt and just drive over for meetings...
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:30 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Well maybe the Grand Singapore is better -- they have a few problems also -- but the price for the Grand is about 4X the JB property! For the price JB is just fine.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 2:08 am

trd, you're right. Very often, you do get what you pay for, so as long as one knows what to expect in a $40 Hyatt, it's fine. And by all means, I'm not being sarcastic here (for once!)
Old Jul 18, 2001, 7:52 am
Original Poster

The comments about a "$40 Hyatt", etc seem to me to be ignoring a few things:

rude inattentive staff are not excuseable

bad food in a country where you can can excellent food almost anywhere (for VERY low prices) esp. in a "high class" hotel is really not acceptable

comparing prices needs to take account of the prices/values of the country concerned - I have stayed in two 5 and 6 star hotels in KL for 50 and 70 US dollars (comparable hotels in the US would cost 10x as much) - prices in Malaysia are quite good for US dollars. In comparison to other values in THAT country I felt that the name is being done a disservice since it was the first (and last) Hyatt I have stayed in for a long time. By contrast my experiences with Hilton. Regent and the Ritz Carlton in Malaysia at rates not very different from the Hyatt (and in MUCH better locations) have left me with a desire to return to other properties because of my experiences.

BTW - I got the usual - we will look in to it, things weren't really as bad as you thought letter from the hotel. I was really hoping that Hyatt would take notice of what this hotel is doing to their rep. - but no such luck!
Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:31 am
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Hyatt Saujana near the old Subang airport in KL has always been very good to me. They may be the exception in Malaysia, but a nice exception. Koala
Old Jul 23, 2001, 3:32 pm

Koala

Second your comments on Hyatt Saujana - will return there for 5th time for 2 nights
Old Apr 25, 2003, 4:36 am

Programs: UA1MM1K
Anybody stayed at Hyatt Regency Johor Bahru?

Does anyone know if this property is easily accessible from the causeway/immigration? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2003, 7:38 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Platinum,AA Lifetime Gold,Hyatt SPG Platinum,UAL Lifetime Platinum,
I stay there many times the last two years. It is close to the expressway and it is a very good deal. You can get a room for about $40 a night.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA1MM1K
verstein, thanks for the info! I am planning to stay here next month on my way to KL from Singapore. Because I need one more Hyatt stay to hit higher status. I am just concerned if I have to pay a lot of $$$ to get to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.