Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: m0hamed
The "Ambassador Lounge" is permanently closed
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 4:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by OZJET
Im staying here next weekend booked 2 rooms and am diamond'
has anyone and issues with both rooms being upgraded?
I usually don't have any problems at most hotels but this is a new one for me.
I don't expect you'll have any problems.

In my extensive experience at this hotel Diamonds are only upgraded to a Club King/Twin, never to what is actually the "best available room" (which I think is a Club King/Twin Deluxe). There is no difference between a Park King/Twin and a Club King/Twin room, the latter just gets the lounge perks. Therefore, I don't think you'll have any problem getting lounge access for both rooms.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Stayed again in the Barton suite was spacious airy 240 sq metres. I keep looking up when walking to the club lounge and see the presidential suite .

Il get there one day . Have a booking this weekend fingers crossed y'all
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Are you paying for a dip suite or scoring a generous upgrade?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:53 am

Are there any dinner restaurants, besides Waters Edge (too pricey), in walking distance?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:08 am

A bit late, but unfortunately I think that is the one criticism of Hyatt Canberra, unless you're prepared to drive out to the civic or nearby Kingston, you're stuck with the restaurant in the hotel.

I've racked up a fair number of stays here. It is top hotel in the area and frequently booked out during parliament sitting.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:34 am

I ended up making a meal out the CL. I thought this hotel wasn't really up to PH quality and should just have been a regular Hyatt. The location was good for sightseeing, though.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The National Capital Authority has introduced paid parking in the parliamentary triangle, which includes the Park Hyatt. Unfortunately guests therefore no longer have access to free self-parking.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Does anyone know what (if any) the extra charge for a diamond having the full breakfast is? Trying to decide between the daily rate and the bed and breakfast rate.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
redacted due to changed information.

Last edited by penegal; Feb 9, 2015 at 4:49 am Reason: redacted due to changed information.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Well to answer my question was told at check in no buy up was allowed - lounge or full price Considering the lounge is currently full to capacity for evening canapés not really looking forward to breakfast over the long weekend.

On a plus note it appears I got a note from management - slightly confusing though because it is in the form of dried blood stains over the curtains (hopefully it may be coffee) - either way looking forward to deciphering it.

The offending curtain is apparently being replaced tomorrow - does make one wonder about housekeeping standards though. (Hopefully it doesn't read you're next )

One positive - really good external soundproofing. When I open the balcony door can clearly hear substantial traffic noise - but door closed not a peep.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

The day after I checked in the blood curtain had been replaced as requested - so pleased with this.

I was also replaced to one of the diplomatic suites for the remaining four nights of my stay, in no way requested or even hinted at - so above and beyond service recovery.

As mentioned these suites are huge. The Scullin Suite runs parallel to the croquet club - and really feels like a private home as opposed to a hotel.

Speaking of private homes, it appears that the two storey pavilions between the Menzies & Scullin Pavilion is actually being used as a private residence. Does anyone know anything about this?

The handful of staff I have interacted with (mainly room service & valet parking) have all been very friendly and professional.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chad75
Well to answer my question was told at check in no buy up was allowed - lounge or full price Considering the lounge is currently full to capacity for evening canapés not really looking forward to breakfast over the long weekend.
Can you clarify this? How can the hotel deny you paying the retail price for breakfast if you chose to?

While most Park Hyatts do not have a lounge (Australia has two of the few that do) most Hyatt properties with club lounges will allow an uncharge to full breakfast for all guests.

In fact, we have a good record of properties allowing us to eat in the restaurant without an uncharge as a Diamond.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Can you clarify this? How can the hotel deny you paying the retail price for breakfast if you chose to?

While most Park Hyatts do not have a lounge (Australia has two of the few that do) most Hyatt properties with club lounges will allow an uncharge to full breakfast for all guests.

In fact, we have a good record of properties allowing us to eat in the restaurant without an uncharge as a Diamond.
Possible bad communication on my part - meant as in choice is breakfast in the lounge or pay the full retail price at the restaurant.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:46 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Possible bad communication on my part - meant as in choice is breakfast in the lounge or pay the full retail price at the restaurant.
Hyatt Diamond benefits are breakfast in the lounge if one exists, otherwise breakfast in the restaurant. Properties that offer both are generous and the Hyatt Canberra was playing by the rules.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Speaking of private homes, it appears that the two storey pavilions between the Menzies & Scullin Pavilion is actually being used as a private residence. Does anyone know anything about this?
The GM lives onsite. It may well be the residence for him and his family.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Hyatt Diamond benefits are breakfast in the lounge if one exists, otherwise breakfast in the restaurant. Properties that offer both are generous and the Hyatt Canberra was playing by the rules.
I do find it a little odd, however, that there isn't some kind of up-charge. The full buffet is $39 so even something as expensive as $30 for Diamonds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.