Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by FD1971
One should not generalize based on two posters here or three rental cars approached by guests who checked out earlier and decided to stay at the pool for some more time…
Uhuhhh And this is why Disney now issues wrist bands for their pools - too many non-resort guests using them

Really ? Could you elaborate a bit more ?

I was never under the impression that the Grand Cypress was known for outstanding Diamond treatment based on hundreds of reviews here and on various other internet sites. Hardly any free suite upgrades and in the old days even constant reports of denied RC access due to the overcrowded old Regency Club. Most people seem to complain about new charges, like alcohol or parking, but this is the usual ( and boring ) reaction, if something that used to be for free sets them back a few bucks some years later…
I was upgraded to a suite at least twice and was always treated very well PRE-Paul Tang. The bellman used to give me a hug when I returned. The front desk staff was always courteous. What you're reading and referring to are the changes that occurred after he showed up.

Again, unfortunately hardly any facts that could back up your comment

I think, we all agree that the new RC is a major major step forward, especially in comparison to the old one. The grounds are still marvelous, same with the golf course and tennis center, lake & pools. So I do not understand what you mean with ‘no more’
My impressions are my facts. Did you stay in the old RC? The offerings were quite nice for both breakfast and hors douvres.

FD staff has always mediocre, however some RC concierges were amazing, but most of them retired some years ago. The rooms are supposed to be a bit post modern, but even if you do not like the design, it is probably appreciated by a vast majority in comparison to the Floral Florida design pre-renovation.
The front desk is a horror now if you think it was always mediocre. That wasn't my experience. The rooms are awful - stark and white with no personality at all. The bathroom/closet combo is ridiculous with that sliding door for both the bath and closet. I hit my husband with it twice. Florida floral was getting a bit old, but stark modern is terrible for a resort location.

No, but I post on FT since more than ten years now and it is fascinating to see when those very emotional relationships between certain users and programs and/or hotels turn sour. Since you have always been one of the biggest fans of the Grand Cypress, I read your posts with great interest. While I agree on some accounts, I find other remarks exaggerated and in some cases plain wrong.
I disagree. Perhaps you weren't a diamond or didn't go to the hotel 10 years ago. You would have noticed the change.

I care about balanced posts that inform and educate potential guests and I feel that your reviews are not objective at all anymore and put the property under a wrong light.
Why? I've seen numerous posts here saying they won't go back and yet I'm not objective?

At the current price tag, the Grand Cypress is the place to stay in Orlando, if you are looking for a resort close to Disney.
Which price tag? This week's or next weeks, because you never know when and what they're going to tack on a fee

Like I said, I cancelled my reservation there for Memorial Day weekend and paid more to stay at the contemporary because the $11 parking fee made the price differential more palatable. A $25 resort fee for a diamond who gets some of the included items is a bit much, and not a way to treat your best guests - particularly repeat guests.

We are going to have to agree to disagree, but please don't say that I don't have facts or I'm wrong. Many posters above me are saying the same thing.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:41 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by Mary2e
4 diamonds or not - I'd rather pay more and stay elsewhere than in those awful remodeled rooms and put up with terrible service and attitudes from the front desk.
Wow, that's pretty harsh. I guess it's all subjective when it comes to room decor... I thought the renovated rooms were quite nice.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
We have stayed at this property on the average of 30 nights a year for over ten years. In regards to the previous several posts I will add my thoughts.
1. The location of the new RC is great. The food has gone downhill in quality and selection. The decor is very modern and not my taste.
2. The room decor is also not my taste and the design in the corner rooms is problematic if you want to use the computer at the desk.
3. The front desk has for years had problems.
4. Upgrades to suites for us as diamonds was only if you contacted someone ahead that worked at the hotel. No random upgrades at check-in.
5. Resort fees are ridiculous especially now with a parking fee to be added. Many years ago there was a $15 resort fee charged covering use of the bikes, pitch and putt, driving range, and non motorized water sports. For diamonds and those on the club floor it was free. Shuttle service to the park was a few dollars if you used it.
6.This is the only Hyatt I know that charged diamonds for wireless access, but did not tell them until after they used it. The hotel continued to charge guests even after Gold passport called and told them to stop. Finally the front desk did start to advise that only wired access was free.
7. Pool temps at his time of year are usually high 60's low 70's in unheated pool and low 80 in heated pool.

When Paul Tang was first there for a number of years things were very good. last few years with new food and beverage mgr and asst to Paul handling a lot while Paul traveled overseeing other properties there has been a steady decline. Sad to say this one my #1 favorite place but not anymore. I would rather pay one higher rate than have all these fees added on. Are we getting points for these fees or are they not eligible??
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by diamond_46
5. Resort fees are ridiculous especially now with a parking fee to be added. Many years ago there was a $15 resort fee charged covering use of the bikes, pitch and putt, driving range, and non motorized water sports. For diamonds and those on the club floor it was free. Shuttle service to the park was a few dollars if you used it.
6.This is the only Hyatt I know that charged diamonds for wireless access, but did not tell them until after they used it. The hotel continued to charge guests even after Gold passport called and told them to stop. Finally the front desk did start to advise that only wired access was free.

When Paul Tang was first there for a number of years things were very good. last few years with new food and beverage mgr and asst to Paul handling a lot while Paul traveled overseeing other properties there has been a steady decline. Sad to say this one my #1 favorite place but not anymore. I would rather pay one higher rate than have all these fees added on. Are we getting points for these fees or are they not eligible??
i wasn't charged with wireless access (last February)
also, you won't get any gp points for parking/resort fee......
it is sad to see such a nice property going down.....
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:44 pm

We're here a couple more days.

1) We like the new rooms. It reminds me of our home decor. I like the white barcelona chair, the lamps, and the rain shower.

The pre-renovation reminded me of the golden girls. I expected Rose or Blanche to appear when we opened the door to the rc.

2) I remember the old RC had things like chicken wings and egg rolls. The new one is a step up in presentation. We like it.

3) We feel nickel and dimed. I can't remember the last time we were charged a resort fee as diamonds.

4) I don't like the towel card system. The pools are very cold.

Still, I think we're getting good value as diamond. It reminds me of Kauai at 1/4 the cost.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
staying here now.
rooms are very nice, I like these updates very much;
pool is a bit too cold, true;
I wasn't advised of any parking charges, and there is no way I'm going to pay it on top of resort fee;
resort fee is $5 less for diamonds ($17);
RC is nice, with quite a good offerings;
no upgrade whatsoever (I don't count pool view as upgrade)

overall satisfaction - 7 out of 10.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:36 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by alexkgtu
no upgrade whatsoever (I don't count pool view as upgrade)
While you may not, the hotel certainly does, as it's 2 categories up from the standard room and $40/more a night.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
A lot of very interesting posts.

There seems to be consensus that the FD staff is doing a poor job. This should be adressed immediately.

In addition to that, quite some Diamond card holders seem to be disappointed.

I strongly suggest to take a closer look at the resort & parking fees and come up with one definitive answer. Giving out F&B vouchers while still charging the resort fee could be a solution. If I have to pay the fee minus the internet charge, I could actually live with it assuming that they grant a credit of $ 15-20 daily for F&B, shuttle services, valet etc.

I am aware that a lot of Diamond card holders stay there, I am also aware that the property is already discounting like crazy, but to be honest, I also started looking at alternatives for the Grand Champions across the country, when they introduced the parking fees and closed the RC again over the summer. They were smart enough to find a solution and compensate Diamonds for the closed RC with constant suite upgrades.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
The old RC had shrimp cocktail, crab claws, and tenderloin of beef. Food offerings when we have been there have not been anywhere near the same.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diamond_46
The old RC had shrimp cocktail, crab claws, and tenderloin of beef. Food offerings when we have been there have not been anywhere near the same.
It's very interesting that you should mention the food offerings. Cocktail shrimp, crab claws and tenderloin of beef, among other things, were exactly what RC Lounge offered for the evening service on Monday, May 30, 2011. They came from La Coquina. From the way RC Lounge reps talked, these offerings seemed better than normal. Indeed it was the first time I had crab claws in my four stays at Grand Cypress, starting in August 2010.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
We used to go here every year also, but can't use the hard-earned points with such concerns over this formerly great spot... so we have skipped it for ~3 years now.

That said, I think they have enough conventions and Disney traffic here not to care about losing regulars.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Neil35
It's very interesting that you should mention the food offerings. Cocktail shrimp, crab claws and tenderloin of beef, among other things, were exactly what RC Lounge offered for the evening service on Monday, May 30, 2011. They came from La Coquina. From the way RC Lounge reps talked, these offerings seemed better than normal. Indeed it was the first time I had crab claws in my four stays at Grand Cypress, starting in August 2010.
Maybe they are reading the reviews and bringing the old food choices back
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:28 pm

Parking fee?

Anyone been here recently? Have they started to charge for parking? What is the fee if so? How has the club been? We have not been in a while deciding instead to try other properties and are thinking of returning soon.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, ProrityClub
Originally Posted by Tummy
We're here a couple more days.

1) We like the new rooms. It reminds me of our home decor. I like the white barcelona chair, the lamps, and the rain shower.

The pre-renovation reminded me of the golden girls. I expected Rose or Blanche to appear when we opened the door to the rc.

2) I remember the old RC had things like chicken wings and egg rolls. The new one is a step up in presentation. We like it.

3) We feel nickel and dimed. I can't remember the last time we were charged a resort fee as diamonds.

4) I don't like the towel card system. The pools are very cold.

Still, I think we're getting good value as diamond. It reminds me of Kauai at 1/4 the cost.
I am reading here in this blog that you did not pay resort fees. Is this in all
resorts ?
I have always paid the resort fees, no matter where. Grand Cypress which
has been for a long long time our no.1 favorite (before renovations), the
resorts on Hawaii, other resorts in Florida.
So what do you have to do to not pay them ? Is this standard for diamond members ? I am diamond lifetime member.
Will be visiting GC in december again. Curious how everything is now.
Last time renovations had been ready (don't like the decor, too cool for my taste ....we preferred the "Rose or Blanche" look ...)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Officially in the T&Cs - all award stays do not get charged resort fees - beyond that on revenue stays it's at the property's discretion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.