Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Pier Sixty-Six (Ft Lauderdale, FL) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Leaves 12 Oct 17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pier Sixty-Six (Ft Lauderdale, FL) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Leaves 12 Oct 17)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Miesque
I take from the comments on this thread and also how the Hyatt Regency Miami is referred to that there really are no great Hyatt properties in the Miami/FLL area and that I am better off sticking with my initial inclinations of Hilton Bentley and Conrad Miami for upcoming trips to Miami?
I would agree with this, although if you are looking at Hilton as an alternative, I would consider the Diplomat which was recently reflagged as a Hilton property from SPG. Used to be one of my favorite SPG properties in my Southeast travels.

http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/e...HQQ/index.html
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Stayed here twice in November. As an alternative to ridiculously priced Miami properties, would stay again if the price is right (<90$) but would not recommend it.
Surprised this property meets Hyatt Regency standards. Should not even be 4 stars.

Old building with substantial makeup to hide flaws. Poorly trained FD staff (dealt with 4, only 1 was useful/knowledgeable). Little Diamond recognition.

Was "upgraded" to a tower room the first time as Diamond member. Second time I booked the tower room and got...a tower room. As the previous poster mentioned, the Diamond upgrade is just a corner/larger room with a balcony.

Pool area is nice. Spacious. Gym is a joke, one of the worst I have seen. Did not visit spa.

Breakfast was average.

Overall, a very mediocre property.
I agree this isn't the best Hyatt Regency I've stayed at, it's a reasonable spot for a couple of days stay if you need to fly in to FLL in advance of of a cruise.

And apparently YMMV in terms of rooms and upgrades. I stayed earlier this year as a Diamond and had a very spacious 2 room corner suite in the Tower with separate bedroom, 2 full baths, a wet bar and 2 balconies.

Opinions about the breakfast will vary depending on one's preferences. I found the extensive hot buffet with eggs made to order, or the option of ordering off of the menu (crab eggs Benedict), to be far better than many other Hyatt hotels I've stayed at this year (Hyatt Regency O'Hare, I'm looking at you ... )

My experience included helpful staff and a nice welcome amenity of a bottle of wine accompanied by a large cheese & snack board.

Is the hotel in need of a refurbishment? Certainly. It could benefit from an update and the rooms need to be brought up to date. But as I said, it's convenient and a reasonable pre-cruise choice depending on your needs.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Staying here for 3 nights using DSU:

Pros:
Using a DSU got me a Suite on the 15th floor of the tower, amazing view, lots of space, must be 900+ sq. ft. combined between bedroom and living room.
Balconies from both rooms are huge, sliding glass doors from each room gives me a view of the Atlantic ocean and from the other room a view of downtown.

Cons:
This is an old hotel and does appear to be tired looking but overall Hyatt has done a good job keeping it clean and well maintained.
The cabinets in the suite are pretty beat up, some doors don't close and there is a lot of wear and tear

The lobby area and bar seems new and refreshed. I didn't spend much time in the courtyard area by the pool but it looked nice, but kind of an older design. If you stay here ask to be in the tower on a higher floor, the view makes up for a lot.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Is the Diamond Suite Upgrade now booking into something other than the "junior suite"?

The previous post show's a much better room. The Junior Suite photos are not really a suite.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Is the Diamond Suite Upgrade now booking into something other than the "junior suite"?

The previous post show's a much better room. The Junior Suite photos are not really a suite.
My DSU got me the Atlantic Suite on the 15th floor. Not sure if that is a Junior Suite or some other configuration but it was just like the photos/description in the Dec14 post.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
My DSU got me the Atlantic Suite on the 15th floor. Not sure if that is a Junior Suite or some other configuration but it was just like the photos/description in the Dec14 post.
Looks like you got lucky. I've called Hyatt and they say the Junior Suite is what is given. That is not a suite, it's a room with 20sq more.

I'll be cancelling my reservation.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Independent
Anyone know if they are done with the pier renovation? Has the water taxi resumed service there?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I always get the Junior Suite which is, like described above, a slightly larger room. I have never gotten anything like the corner suite depicted above.

I have gone from wanting to like this property, to being ambivalent, and now to actively avoiding it. I see it as barely passable for a business stay, and if for leisure, there are so many better Hyatt options in Florida. I get it for those that need the cruise port proximity, but outside of that...

When I was there in January, the room was again dated and tired, the pools were too cold (despite being "heated"), the hot tub jets were broken, the service was surly (except for the towel hut manager - who is excellent). There are just too many better options. Can't see a return on the horizon.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi. Looking to stay here in the summer as part of a conference. Any upgrades available as a Platinum? The rate I booked is for a Marina room in the 2-story building. Would be nice to get a room in the tower.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Hi. Looking to stay here in the summer as part of a conference. Any upgrades available as a Platinum? The rate I booked is for a Marina room in the 2-story building. Would be nice to get a room in the tower.
Request at checkin, I would think that they would be able to accomodate you if they're not sold out.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by peteropny
Request at checkin, I would think that they would be able to accomodate you if they're not sold out.
Thanks for the reply. I'm just still trying to understand what the platinum upgrades include. I know not suites.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Thanks for the reply. I'm just still trying to understand what the platinum upgrades include. I know not suites.
Platinum upgrades is nothing other than an almost guaranteed location in the tower.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
Platinum upgrades is nothing other than an almost guaranteed location in the tower.
Thanks. That's honestly all I wanted to know.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Anyone know if they are done with the pier renovation? Has the water taxi resumed service there?
Just for anyone curious, no they are not and probably wont be for a while. They have changed their route a bit - the main taxi only goes as far as stop 3 and they dont even pretend to stick to a schedule. Then they have a smaller launch do stops 3, 2, and 1. Super long lines at stop 3 now.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Nice lobby. Dated elevator. Tower rooms are ok. Fast internet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.