Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Istanbul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by navatwal
If you are a Hyatt top tier elite (Globalist) then go to the nearby Park Hyatt where they know how to treat elite guests.

My brother and I received shocking treatment during this stay for business, clearly two people are arriving from different continents for a stay, the guests name is on the reservation and I have reached out in advance to confirm this and checked in using my Credit card.

Even though the room is guaranteed and I have used points to upgrade to a suite why would you not provide access to the room and club access and instead threaten to throw them out whilst I am unreachable and clearly travelling!

The On-site management are clueless, very rude and arrogant, also on-site security displayed unneeded aggression bordering thuggery typical of Turkish stereotypes, I tried to raise this to on-site management in Club Lounge and they could not give a cr*p! Stay away!
Definitely escalate to Corporate and Consumers Affairs.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Definitely escalate to Corporate and Consumers Affairs.
Seems like there is more to the story as the hotel responded to the poster's review on TA

"Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Istanbul for your recent stay and for your feedback.
To clear any misunderstanding from our side; inorder to receive club access and or upgrade either the World of Hyatt membership card owner must be present or inform the hotel thru WOH centre to appoint a guest to be the Guest of Honor. These are the globally used rules and regulations of World of Hyatt membership program. Eventhough none of the rules above were executed, the access to club was granted until the cardholder arrival the next day. We are sorry for the inconvenience. The onsite manager has taken the liberty to strech the rules to provide the best service for your guests comfort. Thank you for your understanding.
We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Grand Hyatt Istanbul
Corporate would probably side with the hotel as it appears that the hotel was in the "right" for denying club access initially. If the member is not there, the hotel should deny club access and I don't see that the suites here have club access as part of the amenities.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Seems like there is more to the story as the hotel responded to the poster's review on TA

Corporate would probably side with the hotel as it appears that the hotel was in the "right" for denying club access initially. If the member is not there, the hotel should deny club access and I don't see that the suites here have club access as part of the amenities.
I guess adding a spouse/family member to a reservation wouldn't suffice anymore? I never had a problem doing this at past Hyatts and getting my spouse into the lounge or room. But, these were properties that I frequented. Good to know putting their name means nothing really according to Corporate.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 25, 2022 at 6:41 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
For those who have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, what is the easiest way to get to the Spice Market from there?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:00 am

Had a stay last weekend. Took the bus from the New Airport directly to Taksim Square and it was 5 minute walk to the hotel. Thought it would take 90 minutes or so around the afternoon time but it was surprisingly less than an hour.

standard baggage check and metal detector coming into the lobby. Like the W, I don’t even see anyone actually at the screen. Just a formality I guess.

welcomed to the hotel as a globalist and apologized for not being able to upgrade to a suite but was allocated a nice sea view room on the club floor (8th floor). The hotel was sold out of all suites and most rooms per the app. Went over all of the hotel facilities, club hours, and breakfast choice, was whisked to the club level elevators.

rooms are definitely large but dated. Had a great view of the Bosphorus in the distance. Let’s just say the room is dated but comfortable.

club lounge is on the 8th floor with the 8th and 9th floor as club level rooms. Staircase between 8th and 9th so you don’t need to take the elevators in between. Happy hour is from 6-8pm and it’s crowded. Mostly (American) guests with a mix of others. Three to four hot choices per day that changes everyday. Lots of salad bar-like stuff, finger sandwiches, dips and bread, lots of local desserts, and lots of fresh fruits. Open bar with liquor and beer. Service is good but gets really crowded. Feels like a free for all (one room gets access, everyone gets access)

breakfast was lounge (which is continental plus some hot dishes) or in the restaurant. The restaurant is nice and large with lots to choose from including a wonder carb fest bakery section. Turkish coffee is good and strong. Indoor and outdoor seating available.

pool is outdoors and lappable. However, there is a pigeon issue. Lots of them just basking in the shallow water area. The gym is nice and large.

overall a good property is a relatively central location. Depends on what you are in Istanbul for, getting to the Spice Market or the Grand Bazaar is just a bus ride away.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Aloha1
For those who have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, what is the easiest way to get to the Spice Market from there?
There are multiple ways. My preferred way is to walk down the hill and catch the T1 Tram (the concierge can tell you how to which way to go). The tram takes you all the way to Sultanahmet if you want.

On the way back, either take the Subway from wherever you are or take the Tram to the stop by Taksim and take the funicular up to Taksim and walk from there.

If you take the right exit from the Subway, you come out in the park, which is only 1.5 blocks from the hotel (google maps doesn't show this). The problem taking the Subway in is the closest stop is on the middle of the bridge, which is a ways from spice market.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
Originally Posted by porciuscato
There are multiple ways. My preferred way is to walk down the hill and catch the T1 Tram (the concierge can tell you how to which way to go). The tram takes you all the way to Sultanahmet if you want.

On the way back, either take the Subway from wherever you are or take the Tram to the stop by Taksim and take the funicular up to Taksim and walk from there.

If you take the right exit from the Subway, you come out in the park, which is only 1.5 blocks from the hotel (google maps doesn't show this). The problem taking the Subway in is the closest stop is on the middle of the bridge, which is a ways from spice market.
go to bus stop across from the Starbucks behind the hotel towards Taksim and hop on any bus going to Eminonu (terminal station) and you will be right at the spice market across the street. Coming back it stops on the Starbucks side. 5 minute walk from hotel.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Will be staying here next week and have a SUA applied. Has anyone been upgraded further or been given rates on cash or points to go to a premium suite? Thanks !
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Will be staying here next week and have a SUA applied. Has anyone been upgraded further or been given rates on cash or points to go to a premium suite? Thanks !
I never used a SUA but got the Grand Executive suite anyway. They treat Globalists pretty well here.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
I never used a SUA but got the Grand Executive suite anyway. They treat Globalists pretty well here.
Thanks for the prompt response !
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I am thinking of booking this hotel for a 4 night stay in September. We would only be Explorist, so am considering using points to upgrade to a Grand Suite (6K pts/night) or a Grand Executive Suite (9K pts/night). There are only two of us, so not sure the extra 3K points per night is worth it. Comments?

Also, does being in a suite also include Club access? And if one has Club access, does that mean free breakfast in the restaurant is an option, even if one doesn't have Globalist status?

Finally, we have an 8 am flight out of IST on our last morning - is getting to the airport a hassle early in the morning? If so, we might move to an airport hotel for our last night.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I will be here for one week in February 2023. I just upgraded with a SUA to a Grand King Suite.

I do not believe that a suite includes Club access.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Pocatello
I do not believe that a suite includes Club access.
Since I posted, I was in touch with Hyatt via Twitter to apply a Club Access award to my stay which is in a Grand King Suite. The agent stated Club Access is already included with the suite. Also, I did not notice this at first, but 'club access' is stated on my confirmation email.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Finally, we have an 8 am flight out of IST on our last morning - is getting to the airport a hassle early in the morning? If so, we might move to an airport hotel for our last night.
At 5am or so there will be no hassle getting to the airport. The new airport is very far away, but the new highways to it are very good and it'll take you around 30 minutes. Ask the front desk to arrange a taxi for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.