Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Key West Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2000, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold

Any reviews about this hotel? I'm going to spend a weekend in Key West, and this hotel looks great, but the asking price is around $300 a night and corporate/discount rates don't apply (neither do Diner's free night certs). I have no status with Hyatt, so finagling a cheap rate probably won't happen.

If anyone has firsthand knowledge about this hotel, I'd love to hear it. I have no problems paying the premium rate (after all, I will be there during the winter, Key West's busiest season) if it's truly worth it.
Old Nov 15, 2000, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Stayed there twice 9-10 years ago. Nice property but I am no sure if it is worth that much. The hotel feels more cramp now because there has been so much built around it (was just in KW over the weekend).
Old Nov 15, 2000, 3:05 pm

I stayed there a few years ago (most of my other stays have been at the Casa Marina - then a Marriott and now a Wyndham). I loved the location - walk to all the shopping, dining and drinking places. But the rooms were average to inferior, the beach is literally 100 sq feet of sand, and the pool is very cramped. Get there early in the morning or you don't get a chair. I don't think its worth paying rack rate here - I used United 50% off coupons when I stayed. Try the following though:

On the Hyatt website, try inserting the following numbers in the SRC box when you go through a reservations request: 15985 or 17500. Those are both AAA discount codes, and I got rates as low as $203 when I checked January 19-21 versus a low of $375 when I didn't put the code in. By the way, I've never been asked for my AAA card - but if you're not a member its probably worth joining both to be honest and get the other benefits which are worthwhile.
Old Nov 15, 2000, 5:48 pm

This is a great hotel! Just stayed there in September. Request a room ending in 01. They're much bigger than the standard and have a great view with a giant balcony. I was given 201 even though I payed the lowest rate for a room without a view. My only complaint is that the pool is really small. Also the Hyatt timeshare people hassle the hotel guests.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 2, 2001, 7:35 am

Great location for all the Duval street action. But the property is very cramped - the pool deck is jammed with chairs, and if the hotel is sold out you'd better get down there early if you want a chair. The "beach" is literally a 200 square foot section of sand that was thrown down - so if you're looking for a real beach you'd better head to Casa Marina (now a Wyndham). I'm diamond and when I stayed the hotel was sold out - I was upgraded to a high floor/better view. I don't know if they do anything better with lighter occupancy.
Old Feb 3, 2001, 5:44 am

Nonetheless .. it's the nicest property on Key West.

If you are visiting Key West, all the other places are dumps compared to the Hyatt.

Old Feb 3, 2001, 11:57 am

It is definately not the nicest property in Key West. First of all, the new Hilton Sunset Key Villas - on their own private island with beach - are perhaps the most luxurious. Second of all, there are a host of small to medium size guest houses and hotels that have lovely rooms, friendly hosts, nice pools, etc. Finally, although I think Casa Marina's location is somewhat removed from the action, I think the hotel (at least the nice beachfront all suites wing) is much nicer than the Hyatt.
Old Feb 3, 2001, 1:58 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it's kinda' cramped a bit for sure and sort of commercial, but it's in Old Town, has a friendly staff, great sunset views on the Gulf side and you do get point credit!

Except for the renowned Little Palm Island bungalows at Little Torch Key, which are very isolated and expensive (and I've never personally stayed there so can't say for sure), the best hotel in the Keys West area, IMHO, is probably either the Marquesa Hotel, but it's about 40 rooms
www.marquesa.com

or the Gardens Hotel, only about 20 rooms
www.gardenshotel.com

and so both are kinda' Nineteenth century bed and breakfastish like!

To me the Hilton Key West and Hyatt Key West are actually somewhat similar in many respects and also I think the relative costs of each of these 4 hotels are roughly equivalent.!

BTW- BeantownFlyer, that's not the beach, that's the sandbox! Unfortunately, I do not know anything about the new Hilton Sunset Key Villas at all!
Old Feb 5, 2001, 12:19 am

I guess I should have qualified my response.

I haven't been there in 3 years, but that was my impression then, and I probably should have said that we didn't look into any of the smaller places.

The Hyatt was a nice property, when we stayed there. We would stay there again.

-David
Old Sep 25, 2002, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Don't go there if you're hoping for a beach. The one they have is bathtub size. A very nice hotel otherwise.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 7:52 pm

I stayed there two or three years ago and found it disappointing. It's really more a motel than a resort. Don't expect much charm or luxury, and definitely don't expect resort-like facilities, let alone a real beach!
Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Agree with other comments. However, Great Location, walk to everything. Not many choices for fine accommodations in Key West. You will be fine. Go for it. Get a room on the highest floor (4th?) and one on the end of the property so you can get an ocean view.

Call down, they were very nice and upgraded me to a two room suite.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:30 pm

I got upgraded as a Diamond on a regular stay. I got a nice top floor suite and balcony. I don't rememeber the number but it was in the building that is between the parking lot and the pool. View was pool courtyard which opens into the harbor.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 4:13 pm

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
Thanks for the reply. We, too, got a suite with a balcony and this was an FFN stay. Nice property overall
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:07 pm
mgi

Was there a few months ago. The property really isn't like the other Hyatt resorts so lower your expectations (for the common areas and restaurant) a bit to avoid being disappointed.

1) The location is great - just off Duval

2) The pool is tiny and can get crowded. The 'beach' area is like 10' across.

3) The rooms are pretty decent. We got a large room (separate sitting area and 2 balconies) in the middle building overlooking the pool. Not a great view of the sunset though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.