Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency-Milwaukee REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2000, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency downtown in Milwaukee this past week. Bad Bad experience. Was not recognized as Diamond. Showed Diamond card and it was ignored by Clerk. No Regency Club floor. No Welcome Amenity. Newspaper was $1 (USA Today). No coffee maker in room - instead one of those "instant" coffer machine in elevator lobby.

Will I go back there - NO!
Old Oct 24, 2000, 2:22 pm
Original Member

I concur. The Milwaukee and Baltimore properties, of the 25-30 that I've visited, are a stain on the brand name. Sometimes the 30% point bonus just isn't worth the insulting service.

I had the same reaction: Diamond doesn't mean squat, no free WSJ (and the gift shop isn't open in the early morning), and room service took forever (but the Balt. property is the all-time loser there). They also put up a fight when I tried to cash a check (I ended up paying $2.50 to the ATM next to the front desk). Here's another oddity: their coffee shop/cafe, which actually was pretty good, isn't open in the early morning!

The two Hilton properties in Milwaukee are pretty nice.
Old Aug 2, 2001, 4:15 pm

Milwaukee up-date

I am wondering if anyone has stayed at the Milwaukee Hyatt in recent months. The last comment I see was from October 2000--is it still as "bad" as was indicated? Also, any recommendations for good German food in Milwaukee? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2001, 10:01 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
It's my hometown -- I have only stayed there last Dec. for several cheap nights to get up to Diamond status. It seems like a very generic convention type Hyatt -- not bad, but not very good either. As to restuarants go to Karl Ratzches (I may have that spelled wrong but I'm on the road and can't check the phone book) The other famous German restuarnt is Mader's, but I think it's to touristy. The third old great restuarant was John Ernst's Cafe -- it just closed suddenly after 50 years of service. Let me know any other questions.
Old Aug 4, 2001, 1:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I like Mader's. They have an enormous selection of beer. On my last visit (1/00), they participated in IDine (AAdvantage Dining, FlightFund Dining, et al)/Transmedia. If you're looking for a great casual dining experience (not German), the Water Street Brewery is a great choice. The food is very good and the beer is quite nice. It's located near the Hyatt, downtown.

As for downtown hotels, the Hyatt is OK. Not spectacular. It's your typical old highrise Hyatt design with the rooftop, revolving lounge. About on par with the Wyndham and Hilton City Center (the old Marc Plaza). My choice would definitely be the Pfister.
Old Aug 4, 2001, 9:30 am

Thanks for the quick replies. A couple of questions: l) If one wanted to take a day and drive out of Milwaukee for some beautiful scenery, can anyone make suggestions? 2)If wanted to get to Milwaukee from Chicago without driving, how is the train service(would be coming from Drake in Chicago). Many thanks for any help.
Old Aug 4, 2001, 11:51 am
trd

Amtrak has 6 trains per day. Depending on how much you want to drive: Door County is 2.5 hours north for great "sea scapes", the Kettle Moraine areas are only 45 minutes northwest; the Wisconsin River valleys 2 hours west (including the very pretty, but absolute tourist trap of the Dells)/or Spring Green with Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen et.al.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:31 pm

I have stayed at the Hyatt in Milwaukee 3 times in the last couple of months. I agree with the "nothing special" designation, although the quality of the room furnishings has actually improved during the last couple of years.

Qwuestion: Is the Pfister associated with any hotel chain?
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:36 pm
trd

The Pfister is associated with Preferred Hotels and Historic Hotels of America. Probably the best place in town.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:27 am
trd

according the hyatt.com website it was just renovated, but I have not checked it out.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Milwaukee

Originally Posted by trd
according the hyatt.com website it was just renovated
Don't they say that about every hotel?

Well, I'm staying there whether I want to or not...just wondered if anything has changed in the past three years.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I stayed at this Hotel late last year. It is a typical atrium style Hyatt hotel. The place has been renovated. The furnishings have improved. Noise always seems to be a big thing so I ask for a room on the opposite side of the floor from the elevators. Less traffic and less talking. One thing I like is that they give you a voucher which can be used in their pantry type store. Last time I left early so a colleague went to the Hotel and used the vouchers for me. My wife likes the local made mustard stocked in the pantry. She ended up with 9 decent sized glass jars and countless minis. They were on promotion. I just picked those up this week in Chicago and carried them back to SMF.

I stayed at the Pfister and was not impressed. For the money I was paying forget it. I understand the Hilton is nothing to get excited about either. So from a point standing I keep going back to the Hyatt MKE. Regards
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by travelerD
Thanks for the quick replies. A couple of questions: l) If one wanted to take a day and drive out of Milwaukee for some beautiful scenery, can anyone make suggestions? 2)If wanted to get to Milwaukee from Chicago without driving, how is the train service(would be coming from Drake in Chicago). Many thanks for any help.
Don't miss the Art Museum - incredible building designed by Calavera (sp?) & you have to wander, but amazing collection in the Schlitz Gallery of Chagall, Picasso, many Impressionists...

I second Mader's - really like sitting at that bar... For French, the Lake Shore Bistro is very pretty & good food/service. Cathedral Square is fun at night during the summer & has a good restaurant - Lola's or Lulu's or something like that. Water Street is also great on summer evenings - everyone out & partying.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:03 am
trd

it's ELSA'S on the Park -- very hip, good light food, great (expensive) drinks.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Elsa's- Friendly sometimes interesting clients. Great five cheese sandwich at lunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.