Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hyatt Regency San Antonio Mini report 12/6/03

Arrived and Hotel had our upgraded room available. I am a D. The room was a mini suite facing atrium with a balconey. I asked about noise and the very able capabale agent stated they sometimes get complaints on interior rooms. So looked and got permission for a full on suite upgrade. It is holiday time in SAT so the Riverwalk area is it with colored lights. Our River "bend" suite faces down the river at two different angles. One is a little larger regular room and the other is a parlor with a murphy bed. Has small dining table, full bathroom, comfy furniture, good size tv with cheapy sound components.

As D given amenity card. Picked water and snack assortment. Also given Hyatt Business continental breakfest coupons for each day.

I've noted the location of the Hilton, Marriotts and Sheraton. Without doubt the Hyatt has the best location. Have not noted the Westin yet. Here on a good rate made great with the use of the Hyatt MC $100 off two nights. The Hotel is a bit noisey. We had a great meal a little farther down the river than the Hyatt. So far so good. Off tomorrow to see the Last Samurai at the River Center shopping complex and dinner with soon to be better FT friends. I highly recommend the Hotel, its location and rates. We are enjoying ourselves. From SAT cab was $19 which included a respectible tip. No highspeed internet in room. On dial up. FYI and IMHO
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Glad to hear things are going smoothly and that you got a decent upgrade! Enjoy those lovely Holiday lights - I think they are impressive. The weather looks to be chilly at night but pleasant during the day. A hearty welcome to San Antonio!
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE:
I've noted the location of the Hilton, Marriotts and Sheraton. Without doubt the Hyatt has the best location. Have not noted the Westin yet. The Hotel is a bit noisey. </font>
The Westin is in a little bit quieter area -- not RIGHT on the Riverwalk. About 3 blocks from the "center" of the action.

Another great feature of the Hyatt is the great little jazz bar on the Riverwalk floor.

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:04 pm

SAN ANTONIO Hyatt?

For an upcoming trip I can stay at the Riverwalk area Hyatt or Hilton for about the same cost. I'd appreciate any input comparing these two properties. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I'm not familiar with the Hilton. The Hyatt is located right on the Riverwalk, so if you like being right in the middle of the action (and the noise) then this is the place to book. The atrium lobby is a very public one with people all over all the time -- there is a great jazz club just on the floor below check-in. If I remember correctly, the rooms and the hotel in general are somewhat dated. It is a convention hotel.

Last time I was in San Antonio I stayed at the Westin. It is about two blocks from the main action on the Riverwalk and a very, very nice hotel. If the choice was between the Hyatt and the Westin, I would choose the latter in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did a report on this Hotel. Use the search feature to find. Sorry I do not know how to link. Regards
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Go with the Hyatt; location, quality, more up to date.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 1:30 pm
sy7

I just stayed at the San Antonio Hyatt this weekend. They are renovating the rooms (advertised as being completed by next month). I had one of the renovated rooms, and it is very nice. It is done in the Hyatt "modern" style with sleek furniture and a very comfortable bed. I really like how they have removed the bedspreads (eg germ depositories), and instead just have down comforters with a decorative fabric strip. The bath is very nice, large oval tub with a curved shower rod. It is similar to Westin's heavenly bed and heavenly bath.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton, but because the Hyatt is newly renovated, its rooms are probably nicer.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sy7
I just stayed at the San Antonio Hyatt this weekend. They are renovating the rooms (advertised as being completed by next month).
Was there also this past week, rooms are nice as described, but w/ all the construction don't try to sleep in. There was a guy installing a light fixture on my floor directly above my door at 7 in the morning.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
FWIW -- noticed this article in the paper while in SA last weekend...another Hyatt appears to be in the works...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...203a3e5f9.html
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I stayed four nights at the Hyatt Regency San Antonio (Riverwalk). I've got no status with Hyatt, but I was treated quite well and had a good stay. Got an atrium-facing room (which was fine, but I'd ask for a better view if I'd had status). The room had nice amenties in the bathroom, a good workstation, and a big TV. Wireless Internet was $10.95 per day (you had to call down for a code). Mini-bar was the usual.

Location-wise, it was great. The Riverwalk and shops were right downstairs. CVS Riverwalk was two steps away, which was handy. Two block walk to the convention center.

I've stayed at the Hilton (Palacio del Rio) and it's in a better location in terms of the Convention Center, but the Hyatt was in a better spot on the Riverwalk in terms of shops, restaurants, etc.

Bottom line is that I'd stay here again.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, HA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Haven't stayed at the Hilton, but was at the Hyatt. It's right on the River Walk and directly across from the Alamo. If you get a front facing room you can open your window and look out at the Alamo, nicely lite up at night. A big also, the have the best breakfast buffet of any Hyatt I've stayed at ^ .
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:29 pm

Just stayed here for 2 days (weekdays) - we were in town for a quick trip as we are moving back to the S.A. area after MANY years away and had a real estate agent show us some houses...
We booked on Priceline so got a fairly good deal (around $85 a night, I believe). Added GP# to reservation - no points for room rate (or parking), of course, but it never hurts to add the GP#. Our room was on the 10th floor with a city view (hotel has 11 floors) - standard king room - plenty of room for both of us to move around the room comfortably - did not feel squished in as some other downtown SA hotels feel sometimes. Bed was very comfortable. Minibar well stocked. Decent-sized bathroom with what seems to be the standard Hyatt vanity (at least at the last few Hyatts we have visited) - dark wood et al.

Very nice workout room which is open 24 hours - it is one of the Stay Fit gyms - located on top floor. Nice variety of up-to-date machines. Not sure if all of the cardio machines have this, but the cardio machine I was one had a little TV built in - wish my regular gym in town had that on the machines! Outdoor pool is also on the top floor - rooftop pool - I did not have a chance to use it, but my husband did. He was surprised by how cold the water was since we had just stayed for 2 nights at the Radisson Hill Country (had some Gold Points to burn) and the pools there felt much warmer, but he said the view was great.

High speed is $9.95 a day - did not have to get code from front desk - able to log in on my laptop by typing in name and room number. Self-parking in garage across the street is $27 a day with in and out privileges.

Hotel is in nice location for Riverwalk, Alamo, etc. The streetcar/trolley stop is close to the hotel as well - good for moving about downtown and other nearby areas without having to drive or walk.

Hotel was busy while we were there and there were several meetings going on throughout our stay, but we did not experience any problem with noise, crowds, waiting for elevators, etc. We did not go to any restaurants/lounges in the hotel as we were trying to fit all of our old favorites in during our trip.

Last edited by buffy888; Jun 26, 2007 at 11:33 pm Reason: Typing while tired
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (3MM Lifetime), Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone know the plans for the existing Hyatt on the Riverwalk once the Grand Hyatt opens at the convention center?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kst8wct
One place you MUST eat is Magic Time Machine. It's on the north loop and not far from the airport. All of the staff is in costume (Dorothy, Scooby Doo, Romeo, Juliet) and they are in character. The salad bar is in a gutted vintage cadillac. Menu is steak/seafood and quite tasty.
Man, Magic Time Machine indeed. Last time I ate there was in 1977, talk about staying power for a cheesy concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.