FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

thecloser May 20, 2012 11:36 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 18600299)
How do you know if you're getting the free breakfast? Do they give you coupons or something at check-in, or tell you?

We're Plat, we have a Diamond in our party but she won't be there with us when we check in and probably not for a few days thereafter. We're in a suite the first four days of our six there, so that might make them a tiny bit more accomodative too. But the question is, how do we know?

No coupons or anything are required, I was just there two weeks ago and I just charged the full breakfast for two people to my room and it was taken back off before checkout automatically. You ask the waiter for the "American buffet breakfast" it comes with the full buffet of course, juice, coffee, eggs from the kitchen and two sides (bacon, sausage, etc) from the kitchen. Pretty much it is everything you can dream of.
I am glad it was free though, for two people we were running between 120€ and 150€ just for breakfast each morning.

Also check out the bar at night, the cocktails are a little pricey but 100% worth it.

ainternational May 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by thecloser (Post 18610162)
No coupons or anything are required, I was just there two weeks ago and I just charged the full breakfast for two people to my room and it was taken back off before checkout automatically. You ask the waiter for the "American buffet breakfast" it comes with the full buffet of course, juice, coffee, eggs from the kitchen and two sides (bacon, sausage, etc) from the kitchen. Pretty much it is everything you can dream of.
I am glad it was free though, for two people we were running between 120€ and 150€ just for breakfast each morning.

Also check out the bar at night, the cocktails are a little pricey but 100% worth it.

You have to love going to Paris and ordering the "American Breakfast". Sounds so stereotypically American.

My last stay, party of two, having the champagne breakfast in room was over 200 Euros and was comp'ed except for the tip I optionally chose to add on. They delivered an exceptional breakfast and poured directly from the bottle of champagne at 6am. Nothing like waking up with that right in your bed..

thecloser May 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational (Post 18611777)
You have to love going to Paris and ordering the "American Breakfast". Sounds so stereotypically American.

My last stay, party of two, having the champagne breakfast in room was over 200 Euros and was comp'ed except for the tip I optionally chose to add on. They delivered an exceptional breakfast and poured directly from the bottle of champagne at 6am. Nothing like waking up with that right in your bed..

It did feel weird ordering that, I only did because that's what the waiter advised me was free for diamonds.

Did they comp the champagne breakfast in room just because you were a diamond or for some other reason? I was under the impression that was an extra charge even as a diamond.

ainternational May 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by thecloser (Post 18611855)
It did feel weird ordering that, I only did because that's what the waiter advised me was free for diamonds.

Did they comp the champagne breakfast in room just because you were a diamond or for some other reason? I was under the impression that was an extra charge even as a diamond.

Honestly, I don't think it's the norm for Diamonds, but somehow it was comp'ed minus the tip. There was no other obvious reason I can think of, other than perhaps that I made over 1000 Euros for the room so they perhaps didn't nickel and dime me?

thecloser May 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational (Post 18611959)
Honestly, I don't think it's the norm for Diamonds, but somehow it was comp'ed minus the tip. There was no other obvious reason I can think of, other than perhaps that I made over 1000 Euros for the room so they perhaps didn't nickel and dime me?

Now that you mention it I think you may be onto something with them just comping everything labeled "breakfast" minus the tip. I took a quick look at my folio online to see if I was charged for the morning I ordered the eggs benedict, smoothie and some other things for the kitchen instead of doing the full american buffet. I thought I had paid for it, but they did comp the entire breakfast minus tip just like the other days.

I'm not sure if it's just an oversight or not wanting to nickel and dime but I certainly won't complain.

MikeFromTokyo May 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by thecloser (Post 18612023)
Now that you mention it I think you may be onto something with them just comping everything labeled "breakfast" minus the tip. I took a quick look at my folio online to see if I was charged for the morning I ordered the eggs benedict, smoothie and some other things for the kitchen instead of doing the full american buffet. I thought I had paid for it, but they did comp the entire breakfast minus tip just like the other days.

I'm not sure if it's just an oversight or not wanting to nickel and dime but I certainly won't complain.

It's probably YMMV even though one is only "entitled" to ABF as a Diamond. Paid stay vs. Award stay probably is a factor re complimentary Champagne breakfast.

Many hotels state only continetal or buffet breakfast as the included benefit, but in reality often Full American, Room Service breakfast, or additional a la carte items are actually provided.

crimson12 May 21, 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by thecloser (Post 18610162)

Eh. The cocktails are around 25-30 Euro. I live in Manhattan and I don't pay that much for a cocktail. The drink I had ("Mon Petit Paris"?) was very good, but not "blow your mind" stellar. Certainly not worth 25 Euro; we only went because we got a free welcome drink.

spankytoes May 21, 2012 11:35 am

I'll add a few tidbits...

I actually lost Platinum status between when the hotel was booked on points and when we arrived. My travel partner had Platinum status and used 2 Hyatt credit card nights. They told us that since we were staying in the same room, we'd both be treated as Plats. So we got free internet off the bat. They also said that because this was our first stay at the hotel on points, we would both be entitiled to free breakfast everday. We got some chocolates in the room, but no wine or champagne. Honestly, I could have cared less about that. We stayed in a Park Twin, so they had to remake the bed to be two beds instead of one. (Travel partner...not THAT kind of partner ;) ) If we had a question, like what time it was, we'd have a typed note personally signed by the manager slipped under our door when we got back to the room. It's like clockwork.

The breakfast really made the trip. I ordered bacon and fresh pressed orange/apple juice everyday and my travel partner ordered tea. The buffet has cold meats, oatmeal, pastries, homeade marmalade, cereals, fresh fruits, chocolate mousse and a lot of other things that I'm probably forgetting. They also have small bottles of jam on the table. When we were finished, our waiter would bring us a bill showing the full amount they charge with a tip line. We tipped 10 Euros each time because the service was outstanding and it worked out to 5 Euros per person for breakfast...which was a steal. (Viktor is a scholar and a gentleman, so say hello) At check-out, the only charges we had were for the tips we left. Both the internet and breakfast charges were completely taken off.

When we arrived, we were given a "coupon" for a free welcome drink for each of us. We were advised that their cocktails were voted the best in France. (Maybe it was just Paris?) We told the bartender to surprise us with something. He brought some citrus-beer concoction that was tasty. We visited the bar on our last night and opted for tea and some hot chocolate ice cream thing. The tea was 8 Euros and the hot chocolate was 14 Euros. Alcohol was more than twice that amount. So we definately cheaped out there by buying some bottles of wine and bringing them back to the hotel.

I must say, the hostesses were some of the most attractive girls in all of France. They were also really on top of their game on service. Everyone in the hotel knew our names, what room we were staying in, where we were from and what our preferences were to be served at breakfast. ("Good morning Monsieur Spankytoes, would you prefer the orange juice or apple juice with your bacon this morning?") We only had one mishap when the concierge tried to rave how much he enjoys pastrami from Texas. (After deliberations, we think he meant brisket) Despite the fact that we stayed on points, we were treated like we were royalty.

As far as the area goes, there isn't a whole lot going on in the way of eating. There's a sandwich shop across the way, but I didn't see much else. If you pass the Opera station, there's a Starbucks, McDonald's and a several different bistros. For whatever reason, the area has a lot of Italian food. We noted that because we were heading to Rome next and didn't want to taint our tastebuds. There is a bank on the corner with an ATM to pull out cash if you need it. The hotel also is very liberal with letting you use their umbrellas for no charge.

Getting to the hotel from the Roissybus stop is a breeze. You're basically dropped on the side of the opera house. You walk across the street and go to the island where the Opera station is. You follow Rue de la Paix down about two blocks to the hotel, which will be on the right side of the street. If you see the Vendome, which looks like a big statue of a stick, you're going the right way. Printemps is a short walk back towards the opera.

I have stayed at over 100 luxury hotels in my lifetime and I wouldn't hesitate to put the PHV at the top of that list...and there isn't even a close second. I'm not too fond of Paris, but I would go back just to stay there one more night.

RichardInSF May 21, 2012 12:04 pm

There is a whole lot going on in the way of eating near the hotel, you just went the wrong way. In less than 5 minutes walk in Place St. Honore where the landromat is (see map earlier in this thread) there are a whole bunch of decent, reasonably priced restaurants.

edgewood49 May 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 18615954)
There is a whole lot going on in the way of eating near the hotel, you just went the wrong way. In less than 5 minutes walk in Place St. Honore where the landromat is (see map earlier in this thread) there are a whole bunch of decent, reasonably priced restaurants.

X2

spankytoes May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Probably so. It was raining the entire time we were there so we didn't explore the area much. Only places we ate near the area was a sandwich shop and some bistro a few blocks past the Starbucks. (I forget the name) The concierge sent us to a place called Le Villaret and their prixe fixe menu was outstanding. It's not touristy at all and the owner is very nice.

On another note, there is a chocolate shop called Fouquette near the hotel that was really good. That's all my wife wanted from Paris. We kept getting fooled by a clothing store with Chocolate in their name on Rue de la Paix.

lalala May 22, 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 18615969)

X2

The people watching is my favorite part of breakfast at the PH. Such a diversity in clientele and most with AWESOME handbags.

They do have a nice yogurt/fromage frais selection too.

Stewie Mac May 22, 2012 7:50 am

Is no-one else picking up on this:

Originally Posted by spankytoes (Post 18615726)
we'd both be treated as Plats. ... They also said that because this was our first stay at the hotel on points, we would both be entitiled to free breakfast everday...... When we arrived, we were given a "coupon" for a free welcome drink for each of us.

I am frankly *amazed* that you got both free breakfast and drinks coupons as Plats, staying for the first time, on points

And I would warn any other Plats reading this to consider this to be the exception rather than the rule...

crimson12 May 22, 2012 8:22 am

IDK if it's an exception or what, but my wife and I were there as Plats -- on a Platinum challenge, no less -- on our first stay, on points, and got the free breakfast/welcome drink.

Stewie Mac May 22, 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by crimson12 (Post 18621359)
IDK if it's an exception or what, but my wife and I were there as Plats -- on a Platinum challenge, no less -- on our first stay, on points, and got the free breakfast/welcome drink.

Well colour me amazed further...:eek: