Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The not publicly available rate thing came up occasionally with old style Intercontinental BOGO weekend certs, and IC also argued (nonsensically) that a rate booked on its own website with a promo code was not a publicly available rate.

Regarding Hyatt Waikiki, I just returned from a mediocre stay. The new club is visually appealing, but the experience was unacceptable. Terribly busy, overwhelmed staff, no plates available, food not replenished at 9.30am because "breakfast is almost over", juice machine dispensed foul smelling water instead of juice. Just bad. I needed one more Hyatt stay for Diamond requalification, but really wish I had just stayed across the street at MS or RH. I enjoyed my dozen or so stays at the Hyatt over the last few years, but won't be back (barring another $119 rate that stacks with a $150 free food promo, 1/2 FFN, and 5 k bonus points ).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beckles
Well, I've been told there's no suite availability anyway, so there's nothing to actually correct for myself at this point, but it certainly is an interpretation counter to my previous understanding.

By this interpretation if you book a AAA rate with the BREAKF offer code, you won't be able to apply a suite upgrade.
I was able to use one of my suite upgrades at this property for my 10 day stay coming in feb with no problem

I did of course get the email from the property stating what i will get and bascially dont expect to much is how I took it Seems like to me they are trying to discourage the use of these at this property when they send out this type of email more then trying to give you an "heads up" on what you will get when you arrive by the way AAA rate was used on
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down RC breakfast has deteriorated

I have been very disappointed by the offerings in the RC for breakfast. As noted above the "orange juice" is out of a machine and is not drinkable. The smoked salmon has been replaced by a salmon spread. The individual quality cereals and yogurts are now gone replaced by generic substitutes.
The main saving grace is that the evening hot dish is often quite good.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by jpdx
The not publicly available rate thing came up occasionally with old style Intercontinental BOGO weekend certs, and IC also argued (nonsensically) that a rate booked on its own website with a promo code was not a publicly available rate.

Regarding Hyatt Waikiki, I just returned from a mediocre stay. The new club is visually appealing, but the experience was unacceptable. Terribly busy, overwhelmed staff, no plates available, food not replenished at 9.30am because "breakfast is almost over", juice machine dispensed foul smelling water instead of juice. Just bad. I needed one more Hyatt stay for Diamond requalification, but really wish I had just stayed across the street at MS or RH. I enjoyed my dozen or so stays at the Hyatt over the last few years, but won't be back (barring another $119 rate that stacks with a $150 free food promo, 1/2 FFN, and 5 k bonus points ).

This hotel continues it's downward spiral. The new manager has done nothing to slow this either. I do fear some of it is staff attitude but mostly the ownership is simply (GS) bleeding the cash off.

The Hyatt Place is opening in a few months up the street and I will be interested in seeing just how they upgrade that property. I am hearing that it might just be nice, while not across the street from the beach it will be a lower price point, ( after they open) and still Hyatt property. The interesting thing is that all of the major hotel chains are opening their second tier hotels in the Islands . Courtyards are popping up all over the place. Last week I stayed at the Courtyard in Kona ( on business ) and it was perfectly acceptable even for vacation.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm getting very concerned about this property. As I've said before, and was posted above - GS is going to run this place into the ground. The hotel has to make it's payments to the investors every quarter, and the cutbacks are not going to stop until the hotel is sold (again) or tourism in Hawaii starts booming again.

The new HP is about 4-5 blocks from this hotel and 1 short block from the ocean at the quieter end of the beach. But, there's not that much going on down there either.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm getting very concerned about this property. As I've said before, and was posted above - GS is going to run this place into the ground. The hotel has to make it's payments to the investors every quarter, and the cutbacks are not going to stop until the hotel is sold (again) or tourism in Hawaii starts booming again.

The new HP is about 4-5 blocks from this hotel and 1 short block from the ocean at the quieter end of the beach. But, there's not that much going on down there either.
I also agree in fact I just cancelled reservations for two rooms and moved over to the beach and I am Diamond
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:02 am

I'm getting very concerned about this property.
Have you stayed recently, Mary?

The property was very nicely refurbished and I think it's fine, for the price I pay there.

Then again, I didn't have any juice, but I found the staff to be excellent and very responsive when I pointed out they needed to replenish the cream cheese, and yes, the lounge is crowded, but it's larger than it was when it was upstairs, and there's a really nice outside area also. It was crowded when it was upstairs also.

No, it's not the Halekulani. It's also not trying to be. And if they charged those prices, I would expect a lot more and most likely wouldn't be staying here.

Those of you that are complaining ... I hope you are taking the time to fill out your post-stay surveys rather than just complaining here.

-David
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:44 am

I last stayed in June for 6 nights. While the rate is cheaper than it has ever been, I wasn't thrilled with the new club, nor the way the concierges are now acting as busboys instead of dealing with guests.

I also complained plenty - we go there so often that management actually seeks us out to say hello and welcome back. They got pretty much an earful - as politely as we could say it.

I don't expect a luxury experience. I expect the experience I used to have, even if I have to pay a bit more.

But there's only so much you can do to fight against a PE firm wanting it's money every quarter.

FWIW - I know that the hotel reads this thread and forum. I suspect they know how the changes are being perceived.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:07 pm

I last stayed in June for 6 nights.
that was still in the middle of the renovation.

-David
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:09 pm

No, it was finished. I was there until July 3 They started the pool while I was there, and I didn't even consider that in my response.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Had our first ever stay there in October. Were originally going to spend 8 nights and had a suite confirmed. At last minute had to change our plans and spent most of our trip on Kauai but did make it to Oahu for a few days and spent one night at Waikiki Hyatt in addition to a couple SPG FRN's we burned at the Royal Hawaiian. Expectations had been somewhat lowered after reading much of this thread but we ended up being pleasantly surprised.

We arrived at the hotel on Friday evening and after checking in and dropping our stuff off in our room we finally made it to the club at about 6:50 PM, 10 minutes before the stated end of evening appetizer service. About 10 people in the club and at that point maybe 8 or so lonely beef skewers were left on a platter. At about 7 PM the servers brought out a platter of the pork spring rolls and about 15 minutes after that another platter of spring rolls were brought out. They were definitely serving well past cut-off time and we enjoyed the hot items and loved the outdoor seating area(s). I am sure the views from the previous location were spectacular, and the loss of that alone is difficult to accept I'm sure, but we both really liked the spaciousness of the new club and loved having the option of sitting outdoors with the nice beach views. We found the staff to be very accommodating.

We had booked a standard room but were given a deluxe ocean-view room on the 34th floor and were given a 2 PM check-out with no problems. Were both again pleasantly surprised at the nice size of the room and loved the views from our balcony. The Toto washlet was, umm, interesting. After using it I wasn't quite sure if I felt cleaner or a little more dirty. But, I digress...

Our experience was really quite nice overall and for the price (~$197) we thought it was a decent value considering location, amenities, and competition. It obviously helps to be a Diamond and have the club and ocean-views included. Our only regret was that we didn't have more nights to spend there.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:27 pm

No, it was finished. I was there until July 3 They started the pool while I was there, and I didn't even consider that in my response.
You must be talking about the RC. I'm talking about entire renovation. the hotel and the management and service were in a state of flux until the renovations were complete in October. The renovation rates also reflected that.

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion.

-David
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You must be talking about the RC. I'm talking about entire renovation. the hotel and the management and service were in a state of flux until the renovations were complete in October. The renovation rates also reflected that.

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion.

-David
I stayed at the property last month and likely won't be returning. The RC feels like a nondescript airport lounge and has a similar level of service. A far cry from the old RC. My room was in desperate need of a refurb. I moved to the Sheraton after two nights and thanks to SPG Plat status was upgraded to an oceanfront suite with two lanais. There are definitely better options than the HR in Waikiki.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
I stayed at the property last month and likely won't be returning. The RC feels like a nondescript airport lounge and has a similar level of service. A far cry from the old RC. My room was in desperate need of a refurb. I moved to the Sheraton after two nights and thanks to SPG Plat status was upgraded to an oceanfront suite with two lanais. There are definitely better options than the HR in Waikiki.
And that about sums it all up! I cancelled my last reservations for this month and booked the Westin

We think they need a new manager and owner
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by sensei
My room was in desperate need of a refurb.
every room I've stayed in there has been completely refurbished. Where did you stay? They didn't refurbish every room? I posted pictures of the refurbished rooms upstream, they are very nicely done.

And you really think the Sheraton Waikiki is a nicer property? Wow. The Sheraton is the biggest eyesore on Waikiki.

It looks we found Hyatt's Le Parker Meridien.

The "non-descript airport lounge"

"Rooms in need of refurb" - Diamond Head tower RC King/City View room

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.