Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I was completely wiped out after our 6 hour captain Andy's experience. The snorkel tour was great as the waves were relatively calm in the morning. The sun was bright so we made sure the kids had ample sunscreen. The breakfast was cinnamon toast and freshly cut pineapple. Pog to drink for the morning cruise out. I took Bonine in the morning and doubled up 2 hours in and I was fine. There were two other families with kids similar age to ours. One family had a 3 and 5 year old. Another family had ages 5,6 and 7. The snorkel was great. The valve pipe for some reason would leak a little bit of salt water every time I breathed so it was a bit irritating. My wife didn't want to go out into the water with the kids. So I said its up to you. Took up the entire safety briefing and put on life jacket. They provided for fins and snorkel equpment. The equipment looked first class. Once I jumped in my wife decided to bring the whole family alone on boogie boards. So we swam a good half an hour in the ocean as a family. It was quite enjoyable and the lunch was even better. There was a personal chef onboard the Southern Star so our burgers and teriyaki chicken looked gourmet. Lots of beans, coleslaw lettuce was fresh cut and the coleslaw was perfect. I requested an extra burger and received it. The kids really had an enjoyable time and loved it. On the way back it was open bar, but since we didn't drink we had our fruit punch and pogs going. The trampoline was fun up front and the salt ocean air Travelling back to port was refreshing. All in all a fantastic trip. I would recommend to young families to take the snorkel tour during the day as the waves are much calmer and the sunlight makes for a warmer experience. The Southern Star was completely safe. I even fell asleep for 15 minutes without even questioning the safety of the boat. The kids were asleep during that nap as well.

Pretty tired after the excursion we crashed. Got up for a bit at Club lounge. Recrashed.

Question: We are approaching our last couple of nights of our 14 night stay. I would like to leave a tip for Club Lounge. Any suggestions to how much would be a nice gesture for the staff here. They are all fantastic. A few remembered our names during the stay even though its our first time at GHK.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Aug 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Question: We are approaching our last couple of nights of our 14 night stay. I would like to leave a tip for Club Lounge. Any suggestions to how much would be a nice gesture for the staff here. They are all fantastic. A few remembered our names during the stay even though its our first time at GHK.
I attempted to tip since one of the ladies said she would make sure my wife had gluten-free items available at any time (and she did and scolded the kitchen once) but she refused to accept it.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:42 pm
Suspended

There is definitely no expectation or requirement to tip the lounge staff, but personally, at the end of a stay with particularly good club service (like GHK), I'll give about $10 per day to the person who seems to be in charge of the lounge (or whomever I dealt with the most). I just thank them for making our stay so wonderful and ask them to share the money with the rest of the staff that has been working that week. I did this for a week long stay in Kauai last December, and they accepted it with a very sincere thank you.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
+1 - Also - we sent a picture of our family from our trip along with a picture our 4 yr. old drew of rainbows to her favorite hostess (she said she loved getting pictures from guests rather than tips!)
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
On a long stay at an outstanding club like Kauai, I have and will leave gift cards that can be used for something halfway between practical and a treat at a place that is not too far away. (I hear they all like Starbucks, and that sounds so much better than say, Wal-Mart).

I do suggest for such a long stay figuring out how many people are on the normal rotation and making sure you have one for everybody.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the replies. I stopped by the front desk and put the tip on the bill. GHK says it will distribute evenly the course of our stay each and every employee at GHK Grand Club Lounge proportionately.

I tipped the housekeeping staff with cash but I think next year I may just put on the room bill so it can be charged to credit card. I don't bring much cash, so this method is simple and electronically fair.

I also would like to nominate a couple employees for outstanding service. I guess Hyatt is different then Fairmont where Fairmont has an employee recognition program. I guess I'll have to fill out another comment card before the morning.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
I'm here right now. I'm the 6'5" Chinese guy with a 7 and 3 year old. Been here now 9 nights.

Ok.. I read the trip advisor reviews on Napali tours and I guess the winter seasons can be choppy beyond belief. The other side of the coin, there are 80% of patrons who give the tour a 5 out of 5. I was sold when looking at the pictures of the Southern Star. The Southern Star is Captain Andy's Cadillac catamaran. So I booked the dinner cruise and paid for the tour. The rep from Hawaii Discounts phoned me back, and tells me that she couldn't secure the spots and that the dinner cruise spots was taken 1 minutes prior and that she had to refund the money. So I followed up with Captain Andy's and talked with the manager who booked me on the snorkel tour Southern Star on Sunday. I guess Hawaii discount was not aware that Southern Star ran the snorkel tour on Sunday because the Dinner tour Southern Star doesn't run Sundays. So we're officially booked on the 6 hour southern star Sunday. Continental Breakfast and barbecue lunch included. I assume that these snorkel tours provide the equipment.

We decided to take the plunge because we felt that did the exploring we needed to do on the island except the Napali coast. We debated whether to plug the kids into day camp her at GHK but decided that the kids would benefit from the experience. So we'll see how it goes.

Tried Koloa Fish Market and it was Ono literally. We had the Maui and Ono and teriyaki and garlic sauce. Would have loved to score on their Kalbi ribs. Perhaps we'll try tomorrow.

Spa Anara has sunscreen lotion so that's a plus convenience. Have done a couple of swims and as I only backstroke the views of the sky is absolutely breathtaking and the swim is serene. Problem is when the sun rises its in my face and had to call it quits a couple if times when dawn breaks.
The Koloa Fish Market is pretty good. Another must-try is the Tortilla Republic. We ate there three times last year during our trip and look forward to returning at the end of August.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jisaac
The Koloa Fish Market is pretty good. Another must-try is the Tortilla Republic. We ate there three times last year during our trip and look forward to returning at the end of August.
TR has some good reviews but our experience wasn't that great. We waited entirely too long for a nachos appetizer. Restaurant was not that busy and service was slow/lackluster.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jisaac
I pounded up eating it seemed. Wish more salads on the entree in the Koloa Fish market plated lunch. But mmmmm is it good.

Great experience at GHK. We didn't want to leave which is unusual since we stayed 14 nights. Comment card partially filled out since we had to run to the airport recognizing Sam and Jerry. honourable mention for Jasmine. Currently laying over HNL going to Big Island. Well we are already looking forward to coming back next year. We've got Fairmont Orchid for 8 nights. Fairmont Kea Lani for 5, HR Maui for 5 and Disney Aulani for 5. All suites/villas.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Great trip report Ancien!

I love the GHK and will be taking my ten year olds back in late november. Trying to decide whether to do a helicopter ride or a seaplane tour...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:11 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Koloa Fish Market, Roy's, and Josselin's are on the agenda every time I'm in Poipu.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me

I love the GHK and will be taking my ten year olds back in late november. Trying to decide whether to do a helicopter ride or a seaplane tour...
I can't recommend the helicopter tour highly enough. I've got a description and some photos in my TR here.

GHK was fantastic. ^ I can't wait to go back!

-S
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me

Thanks and Mahalo to all for the help and replies.

We missed Roy's in Poipu but we are now currently at Fairmont orchid on the Big Island. We will hit up Roy's at the King Shops. I heard the Roy's in Kapulua is a notch down from others. We will have to hit up Roy's in Poipu next year and do a 4 island comparison. We've been travelling to the islands now for 10 years. Each hotel we've frequented has a special place in our heart and most importantly those we know as Ohana. We met so many at GHK. At the Fairmont Orchid we already seen 6 employees whom we know by name.

We are brand new to Hyatt so was expecting to be treated just like a number. But Jerry the valet manager remembered myself and family from Hyatt Orange County the week before while visiting Disneyland. From then on in the Club Lounge where he worked part time acknowledged me by name.

Also with 3 days remaining GHK started giving us Anara Spa amenities including shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. Nice touch as I enjoyed using the spa facilities almost daily. Also managed to to finally get an hour swim in. I only backstroke and its perfectly relaxing gazing up in the sky while working out. At night I could see the stars. I swam 5 times but couldn't manage to get an hour in as the spa was either closing or in the morning the sun would rise high enough I couldn't backstroke any more. I've never been able to front swim properly but enjoy swimming immensely. It's a great form of exercise.

The pools,lagoons and water features are award winning and makes this resort ultra special.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Aug 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reason: iPhone malfunction
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:51 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I heard the Roy's in Kapulua is a notch down from others.
I would agree.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
I heard GHK is switching back to having the Anara Spa Coco-mango products available in all of the rooms. This is probably why Ancien is seeing the switch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.