Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Does the GHK still have travel sized toiletries or are they now wall mounted?
wall mounted shampoo, conditioner, and body wash but they had travel sized shampoo on the vanity with facial bar soap
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
You can do that yourself by searching availability on a single-night at a time basis. I'm guessing some night the hotel is sold out.

UPDATED: OK, I was curious, couldn't stand myself, and checked. I did not find an obvious answer. Seems to be room availability all nights (although a curious anomaly regarding what seems to be the lowest sub-category of king rooms, and I didn't notice any suites).

My only other idea is to amen JonIND's suggestion just above. Being, that you have nothing to lose by contacting the hotel rooms manager and asking for further assistance. (When we were checking in last August, the front desk told us club capacity was running right at the edge of fire code. They blamed the surge on all the new Globalists; just minted by cross-promotions with airlines and others). Everybody was an elite; so then in a way nobody was.

If you do not mind sharing it, some information about your planned stay might be helpful to the board in understanding your situation or offering advice. (Like, are you first-time, repeat, or been going there forever guests, what room type and sub-type you booked, and if you are on a cash rate or points). The dynamics at this hotel were noticeably "different" last year. The board is trying to figure out if that was a temporary quirk, or things have changed.
Thanks for checking it out! The rep on the phone told me specifically that standard room availability does not mean club access is available, which makes sense. March 5 - 10, 3 adults (so need the double queen room). It's a full points booking on standard availability, booked almost 7 months out. As for now, I have been re-checking every day, but I can never see the full stay open up for standard room availability for the two queens at all. I did not have the club access award then, otherwise would've just applied it then. First time going to the GHK, let alone Hawaii in general. No WOH status.

In the meantime, I did find the email specifically for the GHK and emailed them with the circumstances and if they were able to apply the award to my reservations and more details on a day-by-day basis if not.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Hope It Works Out For You and You Get the Club Upgrade

Originally Posted by waterman22
Thanks for checking it out! The rep on the phone told me specifically that standard room availability does not mean club access is available, which makes sense. March 5 - 10, 3 adults (so need the double queen room). It's a full points booking on standard availability, booked almost 7 months out. As for now, I have been re-checking every day, but I can never see the full stay open up for standard room availability for the two queens at all. I did not have the club access award then, otherwise would've just applied it then. First time going to the GHK, let alone Hawaii in general. No WOH status.

In the meantime, I did find the email specifically for the GHK and emailed them with the circumstances and if they were able to apply the award to my reservations and more details on a day-by-day basis if not.
I think you will love the place, especially if it turns out to be an off-season crowd. It is on a large footprint and does involve a bit of walking. As I recall the club upgrade certificate also gets you access to the spa/fitness center. (Even if you are not there for the workout facilities, you gain access to a small lap pool, two small often private hot tubs, and changing rooms with the resort's semi-famous, semi-outdoor "rock showers"). Whatever other use you make of the area, with three people in one room the extra changing and shower space can be quite helpful. Access to the club offers more relaxed dining when you are not in the mood for fine dining, or a mass-calorie buffet. It does add to the experience.

If you have not already done so, grab a Kauai guidebook and have things you might like to do in mind well before you get there. (A beach or two requires parking reservations. Parking can be tight other places, so early may be a good idea).

Kauai is not the best of the islands for water entry, as compared to Maui and Big Island. Be careful where you get in and ask questions. The beach nearest the hotel is spectacular to look at, but only safe for experienced surfers.

Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
I think you will love the place, especially if it turns out to be an off-season crowd. It is on a large footprint and does involve a bit of walking. As I recall the club upgrade certificate also gets you access to the spa/fitness center. (Even if you are not there for the workout facilities, you gain access to a small lap pool, two small often private hot tubs, and changing rooms with the resort's semi-famous, semi-outdoor "rock showers"). Whatever other use you make of the area, with three people in one room the extra changing and shower space can be quite helpful. Access to the club offers more relaxed dining when you are not in the mood for fine dining, or a mass-calorie buffet. It does add to the experience.

If you have not already done so, grab a Kauai guidebook and have things you might like to do in mind well before you get there. (A beach or two requires parking reservations. Parking can be tight other places, so early may be a good idea).

Kauai is not the best of the islands for water entry, as compared to Maui and Big Island. Be careful where you get in and ask questions. The beach nearest the hotel is spectacular to look at, but only safe for experienced surfers.

Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
The club access award gives access to the spa/fitness area as well?! I really, really hope I can get this club access award applied now haha (the rock showers seem amazing)! Is March the off-season for Kauai? I'm not sure if it's on-season or off.

I was planning a bit of the stay so far (Heritage trail, Waimea Canyon, North Shore beaches(tunnels or haena?), Wailua falls), but always open to suggestions! We have so much left that is unplanned. Beach shouldn't be the biggest deal as we aren't the most beachy and prefer the pool anyway. Since we're from the East Coast as it's a longggg way, we're doing 7 nights at the Grand Wailea before on 2 FNC + Points, so all our beachy needs should be met there. Send all the suggestions you have! We're open to everything except hard hikes.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
The club access award gives access to the spa/fitness area as well?! I really, really hope I can get this club access award applied now haha (the rock showers seem amazing)! Is March the off-season for Kauai? I'm not sure if it's on-season or off.

I was planning a bit of the stay so far (Heritage trail, Waimea Canyon, North Shore beaches(tunnels or haena?), Wailua falls), but always open to suggestions! We have so much left that is unplanned. Beach shouldn't be the biggest deal as we aren't the most beachy and prefer the pool anyway. Since we're from the East Coast as it's a longggg way, we're doing 7 nights at the Grand Wailea before on 2 FNC + Points, so all our beachy needs should be met there. Send all the suggestions you have! We're open to everything except hard hikes.
Not to hijack this thread, but I hope you're going to Grand Wailea first. It's a completely different vibe than GHK, and might be ok with kids, but we went for drinks when staying at the Andaz and it felt like a cheap version of trying to do Disney. Hope your experience is better than ours was.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Not to hijack this thread, but I hope you're going to Grand Wailea first. It's a completely different vibe than GHK, and might be ok with kids, but we went for drinks when staying at the Andaz and it felt like a cheap version of trying to do Disney. Hope your experience is better than ours was.
Well... we don't have kids so... 3 adults aged 21, 21, and 60. Hopefully, we don't find it like the cheap version of Disney! We are doing the Grand Wailea first and then the GHK.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Some ideas: Ke'e Beach - not to swim, but to see it, all the way at the end of the road on the North Shore. It's gorgeous. North Shore ziplining, if you're into that sort of thing, Hindu Temple, Cap'n Andy's sunset dinner cruise or snorkel cruise (but NOT if you get seasick). Polihale Beach, all the way at the other end of the island (west side), a very rough road.

Go to Waimea Canyon in the morning and drive all the way to the end of the road first and see the sight pictured below, hopefully before the clouds roll in usually after noon. Then see the actual canyon on the way down. BTW, there are two roads to take from the highway up toward the canyon. Take one up, the other down.

Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by bsdstone
We love the Grand Wailea. They have a great pool complex (better than the GHK). Our second morning at the GW, we saw whales breaching while eating breakfast at their waterfront dining spot, humumunukukuapua'a.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:51 pm

I tried calling the resort earlier today to ask about upgrade options and the front desk just immediately transferred me to central reservations. I tried asking the concierge for options about my reservation for things to do and was just transferred to the front desk.

Are the staff here just not friendly? Not a great first impression :-/
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
We love the Grand Wailea. They have a great pool complex (better than the GHK). Our second morning at the GW, we saw whales breaching while eating breakfast at their waterfront dining spot, humumunukukuapua'a.
The pool complex is indeed more expansive with more fun things to do, but TBH it needed a complete resurfacing (basing this on our 2019 trip), and the swim-up bar was impossibly crowded, so I gave up on that.

GHKs pool is by comparison calm and elegant... not as rowdy, even with kids there.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WorkToLive
I tried calling the resort earlier today to ask about upgrade options and the front desk just immediately transferred me to central reservations. I tried asking the concierge for options about my reservation for things to do and was just transferred to the front desk.

Are the staff here just not friendly? Not a great first impression :-/
Doesn't particularly sound like a friendliness issue... it sounds like maybe a misunderstanding on what you were asking for, or general incompetence on their end.... I'd suggest you ask to talk to in-house reservations during normal business hours.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The Grand Hyatt Kauai has just launched a 5th night free through Hyatt Privé for stays through August 31st of 2024. The offer must be booked by March 31st. This is combinable with all Hyatt Privé benefits.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Frontier 100K
Hey—I have a group of 5 that wants to sneak into one of the 2 queen rooms. Is this hotel known to be strict on occupancy, or is this generally fine?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by birdmcfly
Hey—I have a group of 5 that wants to sneak into one of the 2 queen rooms. Is this hotel known to be strict on occupancy, or is this generally fine?

Thanks!
Cash rate as in booking for just 2 people and trying to sneak 5 in? Or award booking for 4? Length of stay? 5 growth adults or kids under 18 or 12? Are you staying at the same time? In either case, I would definitely discourage any of these activities. If caught and your own booking is linked to theirs (added club access upgrade for them), who knows what type of notes will get added to your profile to impact your future stays.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Frontier 100K
Originally Posted by 168
Cash rate as in booking for just 2 people and trying to sneak 5 in? Or award booking for 4? Length of stay? 5 growth adults or kids under 18 or 12? Are you staying at the same time? In either case, I would definitely discourage any of these activities. If caught and your own booking is linked to theirs (added club access upgrade for them), who knows what type of notes will get added to your profile to impact your future stays.
award booking for 4, 4 nights. 5 adults. I figured the property is big enough to make this difficult to catch. Still a bad idea in your eyes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.