Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 8:23 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is there a good car rental thread to follow for Kauai right now?
Old May 25, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I referenced above that there are several rental car posts on the TA Kauai forum with some useful information. The feet on the ground thread and some others are basically proving that people with reservations are getting vehicles (eventually).

There are also plenty of rental car posts and comments on reddit, but you may have to search a bit.
cebee, aacar and 49penguins like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 49penguins
report back please! I’m booked aisle with exec status as well. While my confirm says to go to the aisle, the location details say “Due to current events, your rental will be serviced by the Alamo Rent-A-Car brand in Lihue.” I tried to contact National in LIH but I couldn’t and Twitter just quoted the above at me when I asked if this was still happening.
Originally Posted by deltar
Ahh!!! I didn't read that small print in my email. LOL! Shoot, well I guess I will be following the car rental thread to see what others' experiences are like
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Don't think there's a Kauai-specific car rental thread on FT, but I rented from National a couple weeks ago and can confirm that it's still being serviced by Alamo. There were ~5 people ahead of us in line on a Friday afternoon, and vehicles appeared to be preassigned (didn't seem like anyone was offered a choice, and there's no Aisle). I was lucky enough to snag an LCAR reservation and was given an XT5, though they had a variety of sedans/minivans/SUVs on the lot so I wouldn't worry about not getting a car.

Both the Hertz and Avis lots seemed to have huge lines as we were passing by, thankfully we only had to wait around 20 minutes at Alamo.
deltar and 49penguins like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by ahself
Did you ever stop by the club for more than just breakfast? I'm curious if they're offering other items throughout the day/evening like they used to.
We went once for evening snacks but I honestly no longer remember exactly what they had. It is all a trimmed-down version of the pre-Covid fare, served to you by staff behind a rope. The time we went, they had a tray of 2 cheeses, some hot item none of us wanted, and NO miso soup .
It was fine, we were still excited about the reopening and breakfast was enough to satisfy. But def not as 'lavish' as pre-Covid.
Staff were sooo nice though.
ahself and 49penguins like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atravelguy
I inquired today to apply a club certificate to our 2nd room for 7 nights in August for family and it was full so might be encouragement to others to get your awards submitted sooner than later with limited access currently.
I tried to apply for a 3 night stay last week of September and was told it was full :/
Old May 29, 2021, 7:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Friends are at the hotel for a week. They say that several restaurants have yet to reopen. They did not book in advance and have had limited success in getting into those that are open. Housekeeping is only every third day. They were unable to book the spa. They were able to book a cabana at the waterfront for tomorrow. Of property, they called 5 helicopter companies to find one with an opening late in their stay. I would encourage anyone who is going this summer to plan out your stay and make your bookings before arrival.
ryandc99 and 49penguins like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Friends are at the hotel for a week. They say that several restaurants have yet to reopen. They did not book in advance and have had limited success in getting into those that are open. Housekeeping is only every third day. They were unable to book the spa. They were able to book a cabana at the waterfront for tomorrow. Of property, they called 5 helicopter companies to find one with an opening late in their stay. I would encourage anyone who is going this summer to plan out your stay and make your bookings before arrival.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I just checked on Smith's availability and there are no dates available in June and only 3-4 days left in July! Now I guess we need to look into dinner reservations. I kind of hate all this planning (wanted to play things by ear), but my wife would have killed me if we didn't get a luau reservation.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm glad you mentioned this because I just checked on Smith's availability and there are no dates available in June and only 3-4 days left in July! Now I guess we need to look into dinner reservations. I kind of hate all this planning (wanted to play things by ear), but my wife would have killed me if we didn't get a luau reservation.
I take it the luaus have not resumed at the Hyatt - or you just want the Smith luau?
Old May 30, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I take it the luaus have not resumed at the Hyatt - or you just want the Smith luau?
Yeah, the Hyatt luau has not resumed and no word on when it will (hopefully soon).
Old May 31, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by pjs
Wow on the $150 laundry. That will come in handy before we fly home.
There's also a facility to shower after you check out, so you can still hit the beach / hike before getting on the plane. The only negative is that there is only one shower stall for men and another for women, so there could be a bit of a wait as there was last night.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
Did you ever stop by the club for more than just breakfast? I'm curious if they're offering other items throughout the day/evening like they used to.
I'm a Globalist and was able to eat breakfast in the restaurant, so I didn't visit the club at that time. During mid day there were two cookie options and a brownie. At night there was some fruit, the same desert as during the day and seafood mac and cheese (which the gf enjoyed). There wasn't enough there for me to function as paid meal substitutions. As for the booze, that only came out in the evening and it cost $5 for beer or wine. Pepsi, water and some local juice were free.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:42 am

Yeah, the Hyatt luau has not resumed and no word on when it will (hopefully soon).
We checked in yesterday and the front desk agent said the luau has resumed. In the activities list they provided, it shows luau on Wed. and Sat.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:16 pm

Also, a few other pieces of info for recent questions...
- As a globalist, I got upgraded to a partial ocean view room. They have a full ocean views available but I actually requested a view of the grounds as well in my email exchange before the trip. We're on the 5th floor in the Poipu wing looking toward Todepools and Shipwreck Beach. I'm with my family and we got a room with a king bed, a queen bed, and a pull out twin sleeper. I thought that might be helpful for those asking about sleeping accommodations for 5.
- They are sanitizing each table used in the club and they place (3 minute?) sand timers on the table after each cleaning. There is expanded seating outside with 3-4 additional tables in the lawn about 20 yds away from the patio seating.
- Last night they had Korean style grilled wings, pasta salad, breads, cheeses, etc. This morning there were scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, charcuterie salad, fruit salad, salmon, meats, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, bagels, croissants, fruit filled pastry, banana bread, other sliced breads and bagels.
Edit: They also have to-go boxes.
wilma, ryandc99, jch636 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ahself; Jun 1, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:59 am

Back in March I booked thanksgiving week flying back on thanksgiving evening here. Flight got changed so decided to extend booking by a day. Staying on points.

The original booking I was able to secure 2 Standard Queens. However award space is filling up, so rather than cancel or modify the existing reservation I let it be and made a new reservation for one night. Problem is the only room available was an ADA 2 Queens, which I got. However I just looked again and after booking only kings come up, literally got the last one.

I’m planning on telling the property to link these two reservations together and hope I can get the same room all nights rather than having to change on the last day. Anyone have any success getting upgraded from an ADA to a standard, or how that has worked in the past? Tempted to call and ask if the property can confirm me into 2 Standard Queens, if they have space they’re holding back. Or in a perfect world would get upgraded to a pool view or ocean view for all the nights and wouldn’t have to worry about the partial ADA partial Standard mess.

Also - another thing I was thinking of trying was calling to add a Club certificate to the room to try and confirm into another category. I did see the property was actually selling the Club 1 King or 2 Queens category so I could try that too. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone. Would appreciate anyone’s input or thoughts!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:42 am

We checked in yesterday and the front desk agent said the luau has resumed. In the activities list they provided, it shows luau on Wed. and Sat.
Interesting. It still shows as unavailable if you try to book online. They should fix that. Ah well. We already booked Smith's. We'll go that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.