Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by slariz
Just booked a standard room on points for a peak period later this year - there were no standard suites available to use our Globalist suite upgrades on and thinking it is probably unlikely they open up before our stay (but will obviously keep checking!)

We booked 2 adults and 2 kids in the standard room and it seems you wouldn't even be able to book into a suite unless it is 3 or fewer people - does having 4 people on the reservation instead of 3 hurt our chances of a comp upgrade? Should we remove one person from the reservation to increase our chances? We also used points for 6 nights and a free night certificate for the last night, will that certificate hurt our chances as well? Should we switch it to also being a points reservation?
I would be willing to bet that a res for 4 will never get upgraded to a suite. They reduced the official max occupancy on the standard suite from 4 to 3 people a couple of years ago. With that being said, after they made this change, I was able to book a suite on points for 4 people when I mentioned that I had done it on previous stays and they just told me to make the res for 3 people and it would be fine. They brought in extra roll away beds for the two kids w/ no issues.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by timeo1
I would be willing to bet that a res for 4 will never get upgraded to a suite. They reduced the official max occupancy on the standard suite from 4 to 3 people a couple of years ago. With that being said, after they made this change, I was able to book a suite on points for 4 people when I mentioned that I had done it on previous stays and they just told me to make the res for 3 people and it would be fine. They brought in extra roll away beds for the two kids w/ no issues.
Thanks! Will probably never get upgraded anyway, but will call in and have it swapped to 3 people just so it doesn't hurt our chances.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cbra2
I am at the property now- it's gorgeous. As a globalist we are receiving full breakfast for our party of 3 in the restaurant daily- the buffet is great but we are also permitted to order off the menu of course. I have never experienced this property before, so can't really compare it to pre-COVID, but I am happy to answer any questions!
We are heading there in a couple weeks and are mostly curious about the pool situation. Are there many restrictions and is it difficult to get a couple loungers? Any other feedback about the local situation like restaurant capacity issues? Looks like Kauai might move back to tier 3 in the coming days. Not sure how that would affect the resorts.
49penguins likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:44 am

There were no issues whatsoever when I was there 4/19-2/4 with the pool- the hotel was only at 50% occupancy and we had our pick of any pool chair or cabana. We did make reservations for all restaurants we ate at, just so we could be assured we'd get a table. No problems booking for same day dinner reservations in the area. We did book TidePools several weeks in advance just so we could get the evening we wanted.
ahself and 49penguins like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by cbra2
There were no issues whatsoever when I was there 4/19-2/4 with the pool- the hotel was only at 50% occupancy and we had our pick of any pool chair or cabana. We did make reservations for all restaurants we ate at, just so we could be assured we'd get a table. No problems booking for same day dinner reservations in the area. We did book TidePools several weeks in advance just so we could get the evening we wanted.
I presume you had your pick as long as you paid. My partner is on the island currently and if he can just grab an open cabana, I'm sure he'd like to know.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:05 pm

Website confirms Grand Club opening date of 5/16, says it will have capacity limits.
cebee likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by 49penguins
Website confirms Grand Club opening date of 5/16, says it will have capacity limits.
I was told it will only be available for Elite guests, no up sell for now.
cebee and 49penguins like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:45 am

In the comments on their Facebook page, Grand Hyatt said that the Club buffet will be a served buffet by club attendants and that it can be dine in or take out.
ryandc99 and 49penguins like this.

Last edited by cebee; May 11, 2021 at 12:24 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: n/a
Originally Posted by LAX
The youngest will be 7 by the time travel will be allowed (I hope!). Booking 2 rooms is not the end of the world (but more expensive than I like) if there are connecting rooms, but if they are physically separate, the older kids are not old/mature enough to stay in a room on their own. Plus, splitting up the family kind of defeats the spirit of a family vacation.

LAX
Wanted to follow-up on the above question. Looking to book and have 3 daughters (all are 10 and under) and trying to understand what hurdles we could face with only booking one room (besides space). I know there is not a clear answer but as LAX said above we would be able to spend more time in Hawaii by booking more days if we could book 1 room instead of 2, especially since our kids are young and will probably end up in our bed anyway. Does the hotel give wristbands or anything to each room in order to access the pool, or is the issue simply with having "so many people in the room" it may not be comfortable?

The hotel will still get my money and points, just curious if any parents of 5 have booked one room for their stay? Thank you!
Old May 13, 2021, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Reports are that Keone (Anara Spa) has flecks of gray in his hair.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:32 pm

Wow, I split my stay into 7 nights and 1 night because of the club access certificate 7 night limit. It's applied to the 7 night stay but I never applied a second one to the 1 night. Now that it's reopening, I leisurely contacted them to apply the second certificate. Nope! At this time, the Grand club is at max capacity for that date.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by cebee
Wow, I split my stay into 7 nights and 1 night because of the club access certificate 7 night limit. It's applied to the 7 night stay but I never applied a second one to the 1 night. Now that it's reopening, I leisurely contacted them to apply the second certificate. Nope! At this time, the Grand club is at max capacity for that date.
Wow, that’s wild! Probably worth it to keep checking and of course ask at check in.

Sort of on the same topic - this is my first year as globalist. Do I need to use club certificates to get into the club lounge here or will my status alone get us in and we don’t have to worry about the certificates at all?
ryandc99 and cebee like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by cebee
I inquired today to apply a club certificate to our 2nd room for 7 nights in August for family and it was full so might be encouragement to others to get your awards submitted sooner than later with limited access currently.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I inquired today to apply a club certificate to our 2nd room for 7 nights in August for family and it was full so might be encouragement to others to get your awards submitted sooner than later with limited access currently.
We just booked on points for August also. The room type we really wanted was sold out but we got something. We're presuming they are still under capacity controls and the other category will be open by then for a Glob, but suppose I may get stuck with the other.

That is if I can ever book a car.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just wrapped up an excellent 5-night stay here. Great service and Globalist recognition. I was unfortunately unable to use a TSU as several of the Standard Suites are currently under renovation, but we were upgraded to a deluxe Ocean View room at check-in. Similar to another poster upthread, we received full breakfast in the restaurant for our party of 4, and were able to order off the menu in addition to the buffet. Can't imagine breakfast would be better in the Club, so glad to have squeezed by before the reopening! Since occupancy was only about 50%, it didn't feel crowded and we never had issues securing pool chairs, etc. However, restaurants were fully booked a week or so in advance due to capacity limits. Was told they're anticipating reaching 100% occupancy next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.