Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
Have a forthcoming trip at honolulu and would like to go with this HP on points, but on my days, the online system only showed the 1 king-bed option even though I put down 4 adults, will calling the reservation department get me the 2 queensize room (they are available as they show up on normally priced tab instead of on points)? Or I should reserve with 1-king and hope to upgrade (non status though) upon arrival (is it easy or very difficult normally)?

thanks in advance for your advice.

<will post review after return>
I had a great experience working with the property via [email protected]. Try that first.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan MVP, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PacWN
Just stayed here last weekend. Our room did not have the standard station but ports are all user accessible. I strongly echo what others have said, the elevators are absolutely horrendous! They are the same type you'd find in a 3-floor HP and just as slow. There were always long lines for packed elevators.

Was frustrated as well with the parking. I know parking is limited in the area but at any hotel that I've been to with overnight parking for guests AND public hourly parking, the priority goes to the guests. At the HP it's the opposite. Self-parking fills up fast but leaves room for hourly public parking. We were sent across the street to the Banyan for parking at $15 per night. Saves $5 a night over the hotel's self parking BUT after waiting for the elevators from the 15th floor, walking across the street and up into the Banyan's garage and driving out it was a ten to fifteen minute ordeal!! So frustraing! I get that being in a large city means a car is a bit of a liability, but this hotel is not making life any easier.

My overall sense of the Hyatt Place brand is that they should stick to airport and suburban properties. They don't quite get the needs of an urban hotel guest at this point.
Just to close the loop on this. I completed an emailed survey and mentioned the details above like parking and elevators. I was emailed personally by the GM and given 2.5k bonus points to make up for the inconvenience.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by PacWN
Just to close the loop on this. I completed an emailed survey and mentioned the details above like parking and elevators. I was emailed personally by the GM and given 2.5k bonus points to make up for the inconvenience.
I understand your reference that HP should stick with airports and downtown locations however one must remember that I am sure that this particular property is owned by an investment group who applied for HP flag. It is a very poor renovation, terrible pool, and the only real thing is has to offer is close to the beach. This renovation is very much inline with the group that put together the Marriott Courtyards. the one in Honolulu is equally poor, small rooms, a little better in pool, but food & beverage dismal. Fortunately there is an IHOP across the street.

If I write and comment negatively as I am sure you did I end the letter by letting them know that I am not asking for points I am asking that they read and do something about it rather than placating me with points.

Just saying
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I received my annual credit card anniversary night today. Had I received it about one week earlier, I probably would have used it to stay here on our final night in Hawaii. As it was, I ended up keeping my reservation at the Hyatt Regency, where I was rewarded with an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite. So even though it cost me another $200 more, I'm certainly glad that things worked out the way that they did.

I did take a walk to and around the property, and while I was impressed with the design of the lobby and the very nice Lawson store within the hotel complex, I realized that the location was on the border of a rather seedy looking area of town. I don't think that I would have felt very comfortable letting my family walk back from the Waikiki shopping district to the Hyatt Place at night without me around.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I realized that the location was on the border of a rather seedy looking area of town.
I know plenty of friends that live in the area that would take exception with you calling the area "seedy."
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I received my annual credit card anniversary night today. Had I received it about one week earlier, I probably would have used it to stay here on our final night in Hawaii. As it was, I ended up keeping my reservation at the Hyatt Regency, where I was rewarded with an upgrade to a Penthouse Suite. So even though it cost me another $200 more, I'm certainly glad that things worked out the way that they did.

I did take a walk to and around the property, and while I was impressed with the design of the lobby and the very nice Lawson store within the hotel complex, I realized that the location was on the border of a rather seedy looking area of town. I don't think that I would have felt very comfortable letting my family walk back from the Waikiki shopping district to the Hyatt Place at night without me around.
welcome to Hawaii this area is in no way "seedy" your first time in the islands ?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
I know plenty of friends that live in the area that would take exception with you calling the area "seedy."
I agree. There is nothing "seedy" about that area.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
welcome to Hawaii this area is in no way "seedy" your first time in the islands ?
There's a difference between "seedy" and "seedy looking". But if your reading comprehension is as good as your use of punctuation, then I see how you would miss that.

What difference would it make whether it was my first time in the islands? Whether it's the area just past Hyatt Place, or the Kapiolani apartment I used to live in, seedy looking is seedy looking. If you're saying that it's not so seedy looking compared to other areas of Honolulu, then all you're saying is that there are a lot of seedy looking areas in Honolulu.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I realized that the location was on the border of a rather seedy looking area of town. I don't think that I would have felt very comfortable letting my family walk back from the Waikiki shopping district to the Hyatt Place at night without me around.
Feel free to come visit Oakland some time and gain some perspective on "seedy."

I think the "seediest" part of Waikiki is right in front of the Starbucks at the corner of Kapiolani and Kalakaua.

And I would add that one of Waikiki's redeeming features is that the whole area has not been "upscaled" to resemble a suburban shopping mall.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:33 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by edgewood49
There's a difference between "seedy" and "seedy looking". But if your reading comprehension is as good as your use of punctuation, then I see how you would miss that.

What difference would it make whether it was my first time in the islands? Whether it's the area just past Hyatt Place, or the Kapiolani apartment I used to live in, seedy looking is seedy looking. If you're saying that it's not so seedy looking compared to other areas of Honolulu, then all you're saying is that there are a lot of seedy looking areas in Honolulu.
Add me to the list that it us not a seedy or seedy looking area around the HP
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Add me to the list that it us not a seedy or seedy looking area around the HP
I am glad that you had a positive experience.

Between the darkness of the area past the HP in general, and the guy about a block down the road sitting on a lawn chair in his underwear smoking batu, I will stick with my personal assessment that HP borders a seedy looking area.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I am glad that you had a positive experience.

Between the darkness of the area past the HP in general, and the guy about a block down the road sitting on a lawn chair in his underwear smoking batu, I will stick with my personal assessment that HP borders a seedy looking area.
Where do you live? Those seedy buildings cost over 500K for a little condo. I have plenty of friends in that are and it is not "seedy". I'm European, I live in Chicago, and I sit outside it my speedos, (underwear), my neighborhood is fantastic.

If I lived in Hawaii, I too would sit outside all day, in my underwear, smoking whatever I wanted.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Where do you live? Those seedy buildings cost over 500K for a little condo. I have plenty of friends in that are and it is not "seedy". I'm European, I live in Chicago, and I sit outside it my speedos, (underwear), my neighborhood is fantastic.

If I lived in Hawaii, I too would sit outside all day, in my underwear, smoking whatever I wanted.
Great! I'm not knocking your personal lifestyle choices or desires. As for me, it's not what I'm used to exposing my family to in Japan, and so the area will remain on my personal seedy looking list.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Add me to the NOT seedy-looking camp. I own a place one block away from the HP and, as a previous poster said, you are looking at well over half a million dollars for that 'seedy' area. No way is that area seedy looking. In fact its my preferred location in Waikiki. Quieter and far less offensive than the upscaled, generic rest of Waikiki.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Not seedy or seedy looking. I walk though the area regularly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.