Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Maui check in problems - ignore or complain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB

Arrived at 2:00pm yesterday, but normal check-in isn't until 3:00pm, and the room was not ready. They took my cell number and said it would be ready by 3:00pm, and they would call.

No worries, changed clothes in the in-laws room (who had arrived the day before), and headed to the pool. I called at 3:30pm, but the room was not ready, and they said they would call.

Wife was tired of the pool at 4:30pm and wanted to shower to get ready for 6:00pm dinner reservations. So, I went to the front desk to ask about the room, and it was still not ready.

The front desk person was extremely nice, was checking on lots of things, and got a manager to come talk with me even though I did not ask. The manager said they made a mistake, cleaned our room, put someone else in our room, had to move the person out of our room, and then re-clean the room for us. We have a suite with an adjoining room, so they couldn't just put us in a different suite.

So, we went back to the in-laws room, saw the cleaning staff finally leave our room, called the front desk, and had keys delivered and were into our room at 5:15pm.

Big convention at the hotel, so it is likely busy, and mistakes do happen. I'm in Maui, so hard to complain, but still a couple hours late getting to our room is problematic.

Folks in FT tend to beatdown people who feel entitled to compensation when it is not deserved, so I'm hear to let you folks beat me down so that I do not become the loudmouth complainer to the hotel when not deserved.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My take: Everybody makes mistakes. I don't make a big fuss over harmless ones that are dealt with graciously, as this one seems to have been. You were out of your room 2 1/4 hours longer than you should have been, but because of the availability of your in-laws' room, you were not badly inconvenienced. Myself, I'd let it go.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:04 pm

What time is your flight home, this could come in handy when asking for a late check out. Sounds to me like they gave some one a late check out. They keep close control of the suites in Maui and I find their story a little hard to believe. But after many stays here I find a lot of things hard to believe.

Was this a true suite or one of the corner rooms with two rooms in the small hall?

Last edited by bbbb; Jan 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbbb
What time is your flight home, this could come in handy when asking for a late check out. Sounds to me like they gave some one a late check out. They keep close control of the suites in Maui and I find their story a little hard to believe. But after many stays here I find a lot of things hard to believe.

Was this a true suite or one of the corner rooms with two rooms in the small hall?
It is an "Ocean Suite" on the corner, not a big suite, but a separate living and sleeping room, with big windows and tiny balconies off both rooms. It is fine, but not sure it is so much better than a normal room to warrant the increased cost. However, it comes in handy to close the doors to let my wife sleep while I'm working.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Update

Just got back to the room, and there was a note from the Asst. Front Desk Manager with a gift basket of snacks and a nice apology.

The front desk also said we had a $100 room credit.

So, not complaining got a little reward.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Just got back to the room, and there was a note from the Asst. Front Desk Manager with a gift basket of snacks and a nice apology.

IMO a good apology.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable

Do you really think that they do not monitor the internet ?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FD1971
Do you really think that they do not monitor the internet ?
It is certainly likely that they do, and if so, they managed to respond pretty quickly to it, even over a weekend.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 pm

My response is a little late now, but I would have let it go. Seems that it worked out for you, so that's great.

The hotel acknowledged the mistake, kicked the other guys out and put you in the correct room. To me, that says a lot versus just putting you in another room. Mistakes do happen and the hotel handled it very well, IMO.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,

Bravo to the staffs at this Hyatt, they understand customer service.

Thank you for the update.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:37 pm

the FD has a positive attitude towards such matter which is good enough not to complain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.