Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Glob, EX-AS 75k
Rooms and staff --> GH better

We have stayed at both hotels 3-4 nights each this year. Just finished a week of hopping back and forth for the stay credits.

O8 has consistently been noisy as heck. Room construction is newer and feels like an apartment bldg where the walls are super thin. Can hear conversations happening next door. We were situated next to a bridal shower our first night, begged to move and the hotel happily complied but asked me to file a report on the other room ... Um no, not my problem. Construction kitty-corner from the hotel is indeed 24x7. One stay we were on the 16th floor -- I strongly disrecommend this because the suite above had wood or marble flooring, we heard every step those guests took. Housekeeping knocks early (8a) to clean your room and tiny privacy tags can go unnoticed.

GH feels more like luxury condos, thicker walls and no noise from other rooms. Heavy doors slam hard but that is about it. DND button and light system very effective.

Views as long discussed have lots more potential at GH. Not a guarantee but we had a good to great view each night as a Plat.

Staff at GH was consistently nicer, recognizing return guests, giving us a corner room without asking, etc. Breakfast is limited inside the hotel but all of Seattle awaits you.

Staff at O8 was flat or even, rude. My husband was not allowed to check into our room when he arrived first despite having the same address on his DL as our reservation and our same Hyatt CC used to book it. This was inconvenient and silly. When I arrived later the staff I spoke to said there was a note on file that someone claiming to be my husband had tried to check in but had a different last name (true). Then he gave us keys without even checking my ID so very senseless. I mentioned one day a minor issue with our room at checkout (toiletries had not been replaced since last guest) and the agent took some notes, said he would "throw" me some points, in any case he was not concerned and I have not seen any extra points post.

We had room service at GH and breakfast at O8 at Urbane. Urbane is nice, good choices and variety. Since we live here we generally prefer to walk to one of the great breakfast places nearby but sometimes the hotel is all one has time for so big nod to O8 on that for Diamonds. The RC at GH was not great for breakfast (items were good, just limited and nothing made-to-order) but we were impressed with the food quality at their evening offering. Coconut chicken hot and fresh, lots of desserts, veggies enough for a salad. We saw couples definitely building dinner out of the spread. We prefer to grab a quick bite then head to one of downtown or Cap Hill's awesome restaurants for dinner though .

I would say the GH wins out for us big-time for everything except breakfast.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I agree almost 100% with the above review. Urbane is great and is the highlight of the Olive 8, but in regards to service/noise/views/rooms/everything else, give me the GH.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
The Grand Hyatt Seattle is one of my favorite Hyatt hotels in the United States.

I had the same dilemma between the Grand Hyatt and the Hyatt at Olive 8, but I always opted to stay at the Olive 8 because it's new and modern and I love the pool and jacuzzi area.

I finally tried the Grand one time and I've never looked back. In fact, when I can, I book my work trips around availability of my company rate at the Grand. I also *just* learned that the Grand does have a jacuzzi and, if you ask, you can have free access to the Olive 8 pool area.

I have, though, found the staff to be great at the Olive 8....but better at the Grand. ;-P
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

At olive 8 now on dsu. Construction is outside but not 24x7 as posted above. It ended at 5pm and they don't even have lights.

You can't beat the $106 breakfast credit here at urbane and came be had via room service. The welcome amenity of wine and cheese ain't bad either.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think it's important to keep things in perspective -- these are among the best Hyatts in North America, so you won't go terribly wrong with either. They both try hard to make Diamonds happy. Personally, I've had numerous above-and-beyond non-DSU upgrades at O8, including the presidential suite. GH also try to upgrade Diamonds, but I've had quite a few no upgrade stays here (freeway view rooms). I think for a one-time stay, I'd gamble on O8, but for recurring stays, I'd want the club at GH.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Both properties have been pretty generous to me with upgrades over the years. Both properties have great customer service. Can't go wrong with either property, but if you have a group of people with you, Olive breakfast is tough to beat.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm planning a family trip to Seattle in May, both the GH and O8 have P&C availability, and I'm planning on using a DSU.

Any thoughts/ideas on which would be a better option for a family (2 adults, 3 kids 10 & under + infant) using a DSU?
GH -> Emerald Suite is available
O8 -> Luxury King Suite is available

We've really liked staying in GH's with the lounges, since it's very convenient to drop in for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. But I didn't know if anyone else had insight on which would be a better setup for parents with kids. Based on reading this thread (as well as skimming both the GH and O8 master review threads) I would be slightly leaning towards the GH, but would appreciate any other info others may have.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Originally Posted by jameswes
I'm planning a family trip to Seattle in May, both the GH and O8 have P&C availability, and I'm planning on using a DSU.

Any thoughts/ideas on which would be a better option for a family (2 adults, 3 kids 10 & under + infant) using a DSU?
GH -> Emerald Suite is available
O8 -> Luxury King Suite is available

We've really liked staying in GH's with the lounges, since it's very convenient to drop in for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. But I didn't know if anyone else had insight on which would be a better setup for parents with kids. Based on reading this thread (as well as skimming both the GH and O8 master review threads) I would be slightly leaning towards the GH, but would appreciate any other info others may have.
The Luxury King Suite is has more living room space. And from what I recall the sofa is a Queen pullout. The living room space in the Emerald Suite is a lot smaller. You only give up the view from the Emerald Suite.

Plus, at Olive 8 you and your family will get 4 daily comp breakfast!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:25 pm

What are your guy's recommendation between the two hotels for a basic non suite room?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by phant0m
What are your guy's recommendation between the two hotels for a basic non suite room?
I've stayed at both properties a few times in a span of 4 ish months.
3 times at O8(peasant gold, platinum, diamond) and 2 times at GH (platinum, diamond). As far as non-suite rooms go, I would definitely say staying with GH. The room amenities are pretty similar in both properties, but GH has the better view hands down. That, and GH are a bit more generous when it comes to room upgrading (they do have more rooms, after all)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems
3 times at O8(peasant gold, platinum, diamond) and 2 times at GH (platinum, diamond). As far as non-suite rooms go, I would definitely say staying with GH. The room amenities are pretty similar in both properties, but GH has the better view hands down. That, and GH are a bit more generous when it comes to room upgrading (they do have more rooms, after all)
Even though I've been Diamond for the pat decade, I've on occasion found myself in standard rooms at both properties. I would agree that when it comes to rooms only (no elite benefit), the GH wins. Nice, large rooms, and possibly better shot at a high floor with a view (even the non-water views in Seattle are impressive).
Old May 17, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I looking at GH on points for 3 nights. Can book a King the first night on points, but only double room for the remaining 2 nights. As an "Explorist", what are the chances of keeping a King room for the entire stay?
Old May 24, 2017, 10:49 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by lax555
I looking at GH on points for 3 nights. Can book a King the first night on points, but only double room for the remaining 2 nights. As an "Explorist", what are the chances of keeping a King room for the entire stay?

Have the reservations merged then make sure the agent at checkin knows that you'd prefer the King for your entire stay - I'd say they'll likely accomodate you.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:31 am

Hello! Planning a long weekend stay in Seattle later this year and am deciding between the Hyatt Olive 8 or the Grand Hyatt. Has anyone stayed at one or both recently and have a though on which might be better for us? No status with Hyatt atm so elite benefits/recognition won't matter. Both seem like nice hotels and are pretty highly rated so just wondering if there's any reason to prefer one or the other or if I should go with the cheapest rate?

We're only considering those two versus any other Hyatt in the area because of a special rate being offered at those two.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If you have a WoH account and are pursing free cat 1-4 nights in "brand explorer" by staying at different Hyatt brands, Olive 8 is a base "Hyatt" hotel which is really hard to find. Good enough reason to stay there IMO. It's a nice hotel and has a great pool and other amenities.
strickerj and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.