Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:29 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kalboz
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...omething_Extra

· a Fat Witch Baby Brownie
· a tin of C.O. Bigelow Peppermints
· a mini tube of Bigelow Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel; and
· a tube of Bigelow Lemon Lip Cream
Yes, forgot to mention this from my stay. It was a nice little surprise to be offered this. Somehow I seem to have ended up with one of each - one was tucked in my bill envelope and my son was offered a choice too. Kind of reminded me of leaving a restaurant such as Tru or Trotter's and getting a little gift on the way out to keep the experience or memory going a bit longer.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
From the looks of things it appears that they're opening up more rooms this week. Checked Thursday/Friday of this week when I will be there and Rooms including Loft and Splash Suites are now for sale, whereas they were not a few weeks back when I booked my lowly Andaz King room. Now if only I could use a Suite upgrade on a BWB award!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:14 pm
Company Representative - Andaz 5th Avenue

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Jonathan, could you please clarify the concern I raised upthread regarding restocking of the minibar and whether there is/should be a charge for requesting extra waters, sodas, etc?
Hi Bulldoggolfer05, all mini-bars are re-stocked once a day. Should you require an extra water or soda during that time, we would gladly send it up at no charge.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
It's so great to see a general manager taking such a proactive stance in responding to issues and listening to FlyerTalk members. Please check this thread daily and keep up the good work! I tried to get a room at your hotel on July 7th, but unfortunately you were sold out. I look forward to staying with you in the future.
Thanks DCBob.... I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel soon!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:54 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by GM at Andaz 5th Avenue
Hi Bulldoggolfer05, all mini-bars are re-stocked once a day. Should you require an extra water or soda during that time, we would gladly send it up at no charge.
Thanks! Glad to hear it
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:20 pm

Had a great first stay at the Andaz Fifth Avenue last night. I was pretty impressed with the hotel, which has moved to the one of my top choices in NYC. I've stayed once before at the Wall Street location but haven't been to any of the other Andazes.

Some thoughts:

In general, I like the "host" concept. The "jack of all trades" idea takes a little getting used to, but Andaz is executing this much better than W's "Whatever, Whenever," where the attitude is much more "whatever" and it seems like no one takes ownership for fulfilling a request. The staff at the Andaz was very friendly, approachable, and helpful.

I personally find the lack of front desk somewhat awkward. The idea of taking a seat in the lobby upon arrival and having a glass of wine or some water while waiting to be checked-in may appeal to some, but I would prefer to just get to my room as quickly as possible. The check-in process took several minutes and seemed much more inefficient than at a traditional hotel. Check-out was pretty fast but waiting for a Host to check me out with the tablet PC seemed longer than stopping at a traditional front desk. Not a big deal, and I assume this will improve as the staff gets more experienced.

Virtually no Diamond recognition, which was a bit disappointing. As my Host walked me to my room, I volunteered that I was Diamond and he then informed me about the $50/day breakfast credit and choice of diamond amenity (I believe 1,000 pts, $15 food/bev credit on top of breakfast, or free access to the TV entertainment system for the stay). It would have been nice if I didn't have to prompt this - and the possibility of a Diamond upgrade (or acknowledgement if the hotel is full) would also have been nice, though I didn't really care about a better room for this brief one night stay.

The room itself was terrific. I was staying in the main tower (with elevator directly to the lobby, as opposed to the other tower where you have to switch elevators as others have described). One staff member mentioned that I was the first person to stay in this tower. I think I had the smallest room category but it was plenty big. Bed was still firm but seemed more comfortable to me than the Wall Street one. My only complaint is that I would prefer a real desk chair (think Aeron) instead of the strange chair that was in the room.

I would have been curious to try out the new TV system with the 15 minute trial, but apparently my first 15 minutes watching normal TV counted toward the trial. Oh well. I'll try it next stay, or maybe use my Diamond amenity for that purpose.

I absolutely love the no nickel-and-diming mentality -- minibar, internet, local calls, etc. So refreshing, such a great brand differentiator.

No departure amenity for me. Maybe next time.

All in all, a great hotel. Looking forward to future stays.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I've got a stay coming up in August. It seems like it might be pre-mature to spend a whole week here with things still a bit unsettled. Right now, I've got the first night at Wall Street, then switching for the next 5 nights to 5th Ave. Anyone think I should swap that around, and maybe spend 1 night at 5th and the balance at wall street? Especially if there are no upgrades for Diamonds yet, I could really enjoy the additional space the WS affords diamonds.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by BizJet
I personally find the lack of front desk somewhat awkward. The idea of taking a seat in the lobby upon arrival and having a glass of wine or some water while waiting to be checked-in may appeal to some, but I would prefer to just get to my room as quickly as possible.
Very true - get to the room asap, and out asap, no need for small chit chat every time you have the door opened by a host..... But wait, is it not the crux of the idea?? Perhaps business travelers do not usually seek to befriend hotel staff... Friendly hosts is nice, but in the end I paradoxically almost miss the couldn't-care-less attitude of the RC staff at the Grand Hyatt (you greet them and they look at you strange??).

However, free water, etc is really a "refreshing" idea, and contrasts Andaz starkly with other hotels, including Ws. It is very interesting how little things can go far to build a rapport with travelers.

All things considered, this is a great hotel built on a solid concept.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Very true - get to the room asap, and out asap, no need for small chit chat every time you have the door opened by a host..... But wait, is it not the crux of the idea?? Perhaps business travelers do not usually seek to befriend hotel staff... Friendly hosts is nice, but in the end I paradoxically almost miss the couldn't-care-less attitude of the RC staff at the Grand Hyatt (you greet them and they look at you strange??).
I must give the hotel credit for very friendly, committed, and well-intentioned hosts. The host who checked me in remembered my name and personally greeted me as I went in and out throughout the stay. Every staff member I talked to asked how my stay was and seemed genuinely interested in my reply. The enthusiasm is great.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Stayed here one night this week and it was overall a great experience. I felt the newness of the staff frequently, but I expected it. Breakfast was painfully slow - just getting a refill of my coffee took a couple tries - but they are only in their second week of operations so I will expect constant improvements.

Overall my experience here, LA, and Wall Street make Andaz my new hotel of choice!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by TINPA
just getting a refill of my coffee took a couple tries - but they are only in their second week of operations
and only less than half of rooms is open! Our breakfast experience this week was good, not too slow and friendly, the restaurant has a nice view of the corner of 5th Ave and 41st st to look at passers by. However, we can hope that when business is in full swing, the breakfast won't take forever.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
A quick question: Does the Andaz 5th Avenue offer a car service like the Andaz in San Diego?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
A little tidbit I learned from a friend, the interiors of this Andaz were designed by Tony Chi, who also did one of my favorite Hyatt properties - the PH Shanghai.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BizJet
Had a great first stay at the Andaz Fifth Avenue last night. I was pretty impressed with the hotel, which has moved to the one of my top choices in NYC. I've stayed once before at the Wall Street location but haven't been to any of the other Andazes.

Some thoughts:

In general, I like the "host" concept. The "jack of all trades" idea takes a little getting used to, but Andaz is executing this much better than W's "Whatever, Whenever," where the attitude is much more "whatever" and it seems like no one takes ownership for fulfilling a request. The staff at the Andaz was very friendly, approachable, and helpful.

I personally find the lack of front desk somewhat awkward. The idea of taking a seat in the lobby upon arrival and having a glass of wine or some water while waiting to be checked-in may appeal to some, but I would prefer to just get to my room as quickly as possible. The check-in process took several minutes and seemed much more inefficient than at a traditional hotel. Check-out was pretty fast but waiting for a Host to check me out with the tablet PC seemed longer than stopping at a traditional front desk. Not a big deal, and I assume this will improve as the staff gets more experienced.

Virtually no Diamond recognition, which was a bit disappointing. As my Host walked me to my room, I volunteered that I was Diamond and he then informed me about the $50/day breakfast credit and choice of diamond amenity (I believe 1,000 pts, $15 food/bev credit on top of breakfast, or free access to the TV entertainment system for the stay). It would have been nice if I didn't have to prompt this - and the possibility of a Diamond upgrade (or acknowledgement if the hotel is full) would also have been nice, though I didn't really care about a better room for this brief one night stay.

The room itself was terrific. I was staying in the main tower (with elevator directly to the lobby, as opposed to the other tower where you have to switch elevators as others have described). One staff member mentioned that I was the first person to stay in this tower. I think I had the smallest room category but it was plenty big. Bed was still firm but seemed more comfortable to me than the Wall Street one. My only complaint is that I would prefer a real desk chair (think Aeron) instead of the strange chair that was in the room.

I would have been curious to try out the new TV system with the 15 minute trial, but apparently my first 15 minutes watching normal TV counted toward the trial. Oh well. I'll try it next stay, or maybe use my Diamond amenity for that purpose.

I absolutely love the no nickel-and-diming mentality -- minibar, internet, local calls, etc. So refreshing, such a great brand differentiator.

No departure amenity for me. Maybe next time.

All in all, a great hotel. Looking forward to future stays.
Hi BizJet,

Thanks for taking the time to write such fabulous feedback! We are grateful for this.

Thrilled that you enjoy the host concept. We are very fortunate to have a group of passionate, friendly, local hosts. As for the speed of your check-in, I am sorry that this took a little too long. The team is really getting the hang of the system now and speed should only increase. Please keep me informed about this one on your future stays.

Our Diamond GP guests are so important to us and I am sorry that we failed to proactively advise you of your benefits when you arrived. We will ensure this does not recur.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and will ensure you get that great departure amenity!

Best,

Jonathan
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:47 pm

I am going to be staying at this hotel in a mere two weeks and can't wait! I was disappointed that even though I booked my BWB stay back in June that I couldn't get two nights (Fri & Sat) but will still be nice to try it on Friday night. Have to go to the subpar Grand Hyatt on Saturday sadly but oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.