Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why does Hyatt not have ONE beach hotel in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

The only one that is listed as a beach hotel is the one in Thessaloniki, which is a joke as it is miles from anything that would resemble a beach, close to the airport.

Just seems kind of strange to me that they would not have a single beach hotel in the whole of Europe...

Does anyone know of any plans to change that?
Old May 30, 2010, 2:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

There's discussion of a new property in Portugal that has beach in the name here:

Pinheirinho, A Hyatt Golf and Beach Resort

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-portugal.html

This article, published in 2008, says it is to open in 2013, still a long way off.

http://www.travelpulse.com/Resources...l.aspx?n=49700

Hyatt has picked up management of two San Diego hotels in the past few months. It would be nice if Hyatt would add to its portfolio in Europe in similar fashion. We need more choices there.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I think the larger issue is that Hyatt does not have a large amount of hotels in europe in the first place. Considering that, calling for a beach resort is probably a bit much.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I think they really focused on China, one day we will get some properties in Europe, or should I say more or lots or whatever.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
How about the PH Zurich which is only a couple blocks from the lake?
Old May 31, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by rbAA
How about the PH Zurich which is only a couple blocks from the lake?
Nay. PH Zurich is definitely a city hotel... and while the shore of the lake of Zurich certainly is nice, it is definitely not a beach...

And I second the OP - yes we need beach hotels in Europe! Give us Portugal and Mallorca, Hyatt, please (and Munich, and Vienna, and Rome, and Barcelona....) !
Old May 31, 2010, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
With Hyatt having a number of German hotels, maybe they would consider a resort property at Sylt?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
With Hyatt having a number of German hotels, maybe they would consider a resort property at Sylt?
That would be great .
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by attorney28
That would be great .
Great ? Yes ? Possible ? Never ever. Arosa just opened their resort, stayed there, really nice property overall, but will have problems to fill their rooms in the non-season times.
And rates are high !

to me , mallorca , cyprus or portugal would be great, with a chance of sunny periods .. not like here in germany..
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
For my European wish list, I'd rather have Hyatts in Madrid, Brussels and Rome (I believe AMS is coming).
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
There are several reasons why Global Hyatt does not have the scope of some competitors.

1) True 5 * properties

While some competitors decided to jeopardize their original brand standards, dipping into the 4 star market, Hyatt believes in running 5* hotels. A logical consequence, far less appropriate markets.

2) Old fashioned business sense

Very conservative business approach, decision making based on given facts and not on real estate hyperbole. Building and to a certain extent managing hotels is a high risk business. Global Hyatt is more or less only present in fail-safe markets, with some rare exceptions. Additionally, Hyatt did not feel the pressure to grow like some competitors, because they were not listed since very recently.

3) Franchise/Management agreements

Limited partnerships with master farnchisers internationally, if at all existent. Quite a difference to e.g. Starwood and Arabella.

4) Mostly Convention/Meeting/Business oriented guests

Strong believe that your hotels have to cater to a certain demographic, even most of the resort properties cater to a convention crowd plus tourists, so a strong believe that the very seasonal tourist market is not ideal, eliminating properties on the island of Sylt to give one example. The Regency Dusseldorf and Grand Frankfurt are two other examples where Hyatt wants to grow.

5) European independence

Franchising is an American concept, the amount of hotels being operated as a franchise is significantly higher in US vs. Europe. Many recent openings of 5* hotels in Europe did so without any involvement of major hotel chains, saving the properties the usual fees for everything from A to Z that range somehow between 7 and 15 % ( objective point of view )

6) Low yield markets / Saturation

Many markets in Europe are very low yield and the margins are razor thin anyway. Take Kempinski or Four Seasons as two major competitors burning their fingers in developing eastern German markets like Berlin, Weimar, Halle or Leipzig. Several projects in Eastern Europe have been axed due to the financial crisis. In other cities, the management contracts expired and were not extended like Brussels-Barsey or Budapest.

Last edited by FD1971; Jun 5, 2010 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:25 am

Almost everyone would agree with your wish list.

Originally Posted by rfrost
For my European wish list, I'd rather have Hyatts in Madrid, Brussels and Rome (I believe AMS is coming).
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Hmm...maybe because the beaches in EU are no where as nice as other places
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:16 am

Yeah I agree totally that Europe in general is the main weak point of Hyatt. My upcoming annual stay in Spain will be at IHG properties since Hyatt has none there. Madrid, Barcelona, Athens, Rome would be my first choices on a european wishlist. Even Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt would be fine....although with the way the Euro is going...a Park Hyatt is fine.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Even some of the popular "beach / resort" locations (not limited to Europe) don't have Hyatts, i.e. Phuket (projects for HR and PH scrapped)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.