FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Which Hyatts will upgrade Diamonds to available suites at check-in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1035832-hyatts-will-upgrade-diamonds-available-suites-check.html)

bostonpilot May 11, 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13933261)
Of three stays at the ANdAZ WeHo, I have never received a suite upgrade. :(

In fact, your reporting of frequent suite upgrades, sans certificates, is surprising since there was a period when they were not even allowing the use of upgrade certificates (as reported in the property master thread). The view rooms are nice though (the standard upgrade), and I think it is a great property as well.

+1 on this re: WeHo.

I've had 5 stays in 3 months and have only been given a Sunset View room, no suites.

holtju2 May 11, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Vinodavid (Post 13931943)
2 out of 3 suite upgrades at the Andaz West Hollywood.

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13933261)
Of three stays at the ANdAZ WeHo, I have never received a suite upgrade. :(

In fact, your reporting of frequent suite upgrades, sans certificates, is surprising since there was a period when they were not even allowing the use of upgrade certificates (as reported in the property master thread). The view rooms are nice though (the standard upgrade), and I think it is a great property as well.

Originally Posted by bostonpilot (Post 13938260)
+1 on this re: WeHo.

I've had 5 stays in 3 months and have only been given a Sunset View room, no suites.

Front desk employees are not allowed to upgrade Diamonds beyond the view room by the GM. All suite upgrades must be supported by ca$h supplement, using one of the Diamond suite upgrade certificates.

holtju2 May 11, 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 13931003)
As already predicted, a potentially very useful thread has mutated into one highlighting mostly single experiences, aka one time experience = always suite upgrade.

IMHO I still believe that a thread like this is a bad idea. People get wrong expectations and then complain when they don't get upgrade when others do.

You get very good idea how Diamonds get treated at various properties by reading the property specific Master Threads.

mgi May 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Most recently have been upgraded to a Suite at:

1) Grand Hyatt Kuaui - This has been my most memorable upgrade by Hyatt for me yet...I was redeeming points and all I asked for at check-in was a good room if they had any and got a huge suite :-)
2) Executive King at Andaz NYC (Twice)

Not so recently - Hyatt Regency Miami, Coral Gables, Detriot, Cambridge, IAH Hyatt (no longer a Hyatt), GH Atlanta and GH New York...

JonathanIT May 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 13938314)
IMHO I still believe that a thread like this is a bad idea. People get wrong expectations and then complain when they don't get upgrade when others do.

You get very good idea how Diamonds get treated at various properties by reading the property specific Master Threads.

This is kind of a good point... I can see how some of these properties would start to get bashed if they changed their policy or it wasn't 100% when they really didn't have to offer them in the first place.

Plus, it is common for properties to give their "regular" or frequent guests preferential treatment--even when the guest might not be aware of it. I don't really have a problem with that at all... but I can see a lot of people complaining about discriminatory practices if they aren't treated the same on their first visit.

So at the very least I would recommend being aware of this when reading this thread and adjust your expectations accordingly. :)

Football Fan May 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by price123 (Post 13839074)
It's not quite the same thing but the Hyatt London Churchill gave me an executive suite when I used my suite upgrade cert. but then didn't actually take the certificate so I got a free upgrade from a standard room. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not

Have stayed there twice (once paid, once FFN) and got upgraded to a Regency suite both times.

Vinodavid May 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 13938298)
Front desk employees are not allowed to upgrade Diamonds beyond the view room by the GM. All suite upgrades must be supported by ca$h supplement, using one of the Diamond suite upgrade certificates, or maybe sucking one of the front desk dummies also helps.

I can only tell you what my experience was. Stayed in suite 419 on a $196 andaz5 rate last week without the use of a certificate.

Oh yeah...and no oral exercises were performed.

pclee May 12, 2010 12:41 pm

can you elaborate?
also, can you compare the suite vs. executive king?
thanks!

Originally Posted by Vinodavid (Post 13942099)
I can only tell you what my experience was. Stayed in suite 419 on a $196 andaz5 rate last week without the use of a certificate.

Oh yeah...and no oral exercises were performed.

JonathanIT May 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pclee (Post 13945511)
can you elaborate?
also, can you compare the suite vs. executive king?

I think all the info you need can be found in the master thread for that property.

Cheerfulflyer May 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Comp. Suite Upgrades

I have received complimentary suite upgrades on the following Hyatt properties: GH Tampa, PH Beaver, PH Shanghai, HR SFO and HR Waikiki.

peteropny May 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Reminder - while I'm not sure this thread is a good idea - I'm not the censorship department - this thread is for properties which routinely upgrade Diamonds to suites and NOT one off upgrades.

al613 May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Hyatt Dearfield, IL
I have stayed twice and both times asked for free upgrade.
First time - we would do it, but we are sold out.
Second time - asked by phone after checking in online. Front desk person - sure, just call GP and apply your confirmed upgrade. I asked to be transferred to the manager - sure, your room number is xxx and xxx :)

JonathanIT May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 13945793)
Reminder - while I'm not sure this thread is a good idea - I'm not the censorship department - this thread is for properties which routinely upgrade Diamonds to suites and NOT one off upgrades.

I would also make the distinction that it is done automatically... without asking, pressuring, cajoling, begging, emailing, sucking (up ;)), claiming a special occasion, etc.

FD1971 May 13, 2010 12:19 am

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13946957)
I would also make the distinction that it is done automatically... without asking, pressuring, cajoling, begging, emailing, sucking (up ;)), claiming a special occasion, etc.

Exactly, and therefore the thread could become a Diamond...

It goes without saying that upgrades will be granted based on availability at check-in..., however it cannot hurt to know, if hotel A continuously upgrades whereas Hotel B four exits down the freeway simply does not upgrade to suites period...

Loc13 May 13, 2010 1:26 am

So are most of these upgrades you guys got for paid stays or award nights? Or it doesn't matter? I know the Diamond certs only work on paid stays, but it seems most of you got the upgrade without using a cert, just wondering...