FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Which Hyatts will upgrade Diamonds to available suites at check-in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1035832-hyatts-will-upgrade-diamonds-available-suites-check.html)

DealDetective Jan 5, 2010 8:52 am

Which Hyatts will upgrade Diamonds to available suites at check-in?

After reading this thread, everyone should know that Hyatts have no obligation to upgrade Diamonds (or other GP levels) above RC room at check-in, but some do upgrade to suites when they are available. When this occurs, it is much appreciated. (This obviously does not include the 4 confirmed suite upgrades we get annually.) It would be interesting to find out what experience others have had at various properties. Perhaps this would help us make decisions about where to best use our confirmed upgrade certificates (especially on short stays) if having a suite is not essential.

For example, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio 3 times last year, and each time we received a revised confirmation via email from the hotel confirming a complimentary upgrade to a suite, subject to availability at check-in. The first time it was to a basic "grand suite" and the subsequent stays it was to hospitality suites (even on New Year's Eve when they were 100% occupied!)

At the Hyatt Hill Country San Antonio, we received complimentary upgrades to Hill Country (entry level)Suites at check-in both times we stayed there last year.

At the Hyatt Lost Pines, we were never offered a suite upgrade for any of our 4 stays, but were able to get one using a paper certificate after inquiring.

What is your experience?

peteropny Jan 5, 2010 10:47 am

Park Hyatt Washington routinely upgrades Diamonds to Park Deluxe which is basically a Junior Suite with a dividing wall (without door) between the living area and the bedroom area.

Park Hyatt Vendome (Paris) - our last 2 stays were in suites (the last stay was booked into a suite with points - but further upgraded to a larger suite) - the previous stay was booked as a regular room on points but was upgraded to a suite right over the entrance even though the hotel was completely sold out with lots of dignitaries staying there for the "Mediterranean Summit" (including President / PMs of Spain Poland Luxembourg Greece). There has been a few reports of upgrades to suites for Diamonds there but I would hate to say that its routine and increase expectations.

SanDiego1K Jan 5, 2010 11:07 am

Park Hyatt Vendome has never upgraded me to a suite on several stays. I think Peter's experience was an anomoly.

Highlands Inn upgraded me to a townhouse suite - and based on posts in the thread, this seems to be common for diamond when available.

Hyatt IAD routinely gives diamonds what I would call a junior suite.

Singapore Hyatt has been giving diamonds suites for the past year or more.

peteropny Jan 5, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13117143)
Highlands Inn upgraded me to a townhouse suite - and based on posts in the thread, this seems to be common for diamond when available.

Singapore Hyatt has been giving diamonds suites for the past year or more.

Oops I forgot about these 2 - in May we were actually given 2 of the townhouse suites on award stay at the Highlands Inn.

GH SIN on two transit occasions in Oct - this is very refreshing since years ago it was common for the property to deny GC upgrades to Diamonds.

PokerHammy Jan 5, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13117143)

From the review thread I saw that we were there at the same time. I had 3 rooms and was not upgraded.

Hyatt Santa Clara - Upgraded to a suite upon asking on arrival.

bschaff1 Jan 5, 2010 12:25 pm

Hyatt Regency Chicago McCormick Place: Suite upgrade was requested with a cert but they said they upgrade diamonds to suites as is. Got a huge two room suite with 2 bathrooms.

travelismylife Jan 5, 2010 12:47 pm

[B]Hyatt Bonaventure[B]- Always upgraded to a suite automatically. FD clerk that this is their policy when suites are available. They have plenty of suites, I believe half of the rooms are suites.

nissan motor Jan 5, 2010 2:01 pm

Hyatt Regency Warsaw

Hyatt Regency Warsaw gave me many suite upgrades when I was a Platinum. Now, as a Diamond, I get what they call "studio rooms" (smaller than suites but also nice).

holtju2 Jan 5, 2010 3:14 pm

Is this suppose to be a memo to HQ to contact above mentioned hotels that go above and beyond what is required by the program? I don't see what purpose this kind of thread serves.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 5, 2010 3:19 pm

I would hope that this would be a positive thread. I know I'd certainly stay at Hyatt's that have this informal policy over those that don't.

fly2nrt Jan 5, 2010 3:36 pm

Hyatt Singapore ^

Maui4me1 Jan 5, 2010 5:49 pm

Orange County^

huskergreg Jan 5, 2010 6:33 pm

Grand Hyatt DFW on a Friday & Saturday night the first weekend in December.

VA1379 Jan 5, 2010 7:06 pm

I must not be on the Hyatt IAD good list despite knowing one of the Front Desk supervisors well because the only time I ever got a junior suite there was when I used one of my suite upgrade certificates. This is based on the past 6-7 stays at that property in the past 14 months that I have been a Hyatt Diamond member.

spineangel Jan 5, 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13116113)
After reading this thread, everyone should know that Hyatts have no obligation to upgrade Diamonds (or other GP levels) above RC room at check-in, but some do upgrade to suites when they are available. When this occurs, it is much appreciated. (This obviously does not include the 4 confirmed suite upgrades we get annually.) It would be interesting to find out what experience others have had at various properties. Perhaps this would help us make decisions about where to best use our confirmed upgrade certificates (especially on short stays) if having a suite is not essential.

For example, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio 3 times last year, and each time we received a revised confirmation via email from the hotel confirming a complimentary upgrade to a suite, subject to availability at check-in. The first time it was to a basic "grand suite" and the subsequent stays it was to hospitality suites (even on New Year's Eve when they were 100% occupied!)

At the Hyatt Hill Country San Antonio, we received complimentary upgrades to Hill Country (entry level)Suites at check-in both times we stayed there last year.

At the Hyatt Lost Pines, we were never offered a suite upgrade for any of our 4 stays, but were able to get one using a paper certificate after inquiring.

What is your experience?

Same result at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Have stayed at almost all the Marriotts, Starwoods, Hiltons in this area of Texas.
GRAND HYATT IS THE BEST !!!!! Almost always get upgraded to suite, without asking, begging, etc....
May be because of Platinum status, but am Platinum with Starwood, Diamond with Hilton, Siver with Marriott. And never have the degree of upgrade success and customer service that Hyatt is beginning to demonstrate.