FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Which Hyatts will upgrade Diamonds to available suites at check-in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1035832-hyatts-will-upgrade-diamonds-available-suites-check.html)

DealDetective Jan 5, 2010 8:52 am

Which Hyatts will upgrade Diamonds to available suites at check-in?

After reading this thread, everyone should know that Hyatts have no obligation to upgrade Diamonds (or other GP levels) above RC room at check-in, but some do upgrade to suites when they are available. When this occurs, it is much appreciated. (This obviously does not include the 4 confirmed suite upgrades we get annually.) It would be interesting to find out what experience others have had at various properties. Perhaps this would help us make decisions about where to best use our confirmed upgrade certificates (especially on short stays) if having a suite is not essential.

For example, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio 3 times last year, and each time we received a revised confirmation via email from the hotel confirming a complimentary upgrade to a suite, subject to availability at check-in. The first time it was to a basic "grand suite" and the subsequent stays it was to hospitality suites (even on New Year's Eve when they were 100% occupied!)

At the Hyatt Hill Country San Antonio, we received complimentary upgrades to Hill Country (entry level)Suites at check-in both times we stayed there last year.

At the Hyatt Lost Pines, we were never offered a suite upgrade for any of our 4 stays, but were able to get one using a paper certificate after inquiring.

What is your experience?

peteropny Jan 5, 2010 10:47 am

Park Hyatt Washington routinely upgrades Diamonds to Park Deluxe which is basically a Junior Suite with a dividing wall (without door) between the living area and the bedroom area.

Park Hyatt Vendome (Paris) - our last 2 stays were in suites (the last stay was booked into a suite with points - but further upgraded to a larger suite) - the previous stay was booked as a regular room on points but was upgraded to a suite right over the entrance even though the hotel was completely sold out with lots of dignitaries staying there for the "Mediterranean Summit" (including President / PMs of Spain Poland Luxembourg Greece). There has been a few reports of upgrades to suites for Diamonds there but I would hate to say that its routine and increase expectations.

SanDiego1K Jan 5, 2010 11:07 am

Park Hyatt Vendome has never upgraded me to a suite on several stays. I think Peter's experience was an anomoly.

Highlands Inn upgraded me to a townhouse suite - and based on posts in the thread, this seems to be common for diamond when available.

Hyatt IAD routinely gives diamonds what I would call a junior suite.

Singapore Hyatt has been giving diamonds suites for the past year or more.

peteropny Jan 5, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13117143)
Highlands Inn upgraded me to a townhouse suite - and based on posts in the thread, this seems to be common for diamond when available.

Singapore Hyatt has been giving diamonds suites for the past year or more.

Oops I forgot about these 2 - in May we were actually given 2 of the townhouse suites on award stay at the Highlands Inn.

GH SIN on two transit occasions in Oct - this is very refreshing since years ago it was common for the property to deny GC upgrades to Diamonds.

PokerHammy Jan 5, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 13117143)

From the review thread I saw that we were there at the same time. I had 3 rooms and was not upgraded.

Hyatt Santa Clara - Upgraded to a suite upon asking on arrival.

bschaff1 Jan 5, 2010 12:25 pm

Hyatt Regency Chicago McCormick Place: Suite upgrade was requested with a cert but they said they upgrade diamonds to suites as is. Got a huge two room suite with 2 bathrooms.

travelismylife Jan 5, 2010 12:47 pm

[B]Hyatt Bonaventure[B]- Always upgraded to a suite automatically. FD clerk that this is their policy when suites are available. They have plenty of suites, I believe half of the rooms are suites.

nissan motor Jan 5, 2010 2:01 pm

Hyatt Regency Warsaw

Hyatt Regency Warsaw gave me many suite upgrades when I was a Platinum. Now, as a Diamond, I get what they call "studio rooms" (smaller than suites but also nice).

holtju2 Jan 5, 2010 3:14 pm

Is this suppose to be a memo to HQ to contact above mentioned hotels that go above and beyond what is required by the program? I don't see what purpose this kind of thread serves.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 5, 2010 3:19 pm

I would hope that this would be a positive thread. I know I'd certainly stay at Hyatt's that have this informal policy over those that don't.

fly2nrt Jan 5, 2010 3:36 pm

Hyatt Singapore ^

Maui4me1 Jan 5, 2010 5:49 pm

Orange County^

huskergreg Jan 5, 2010 6:33 pm

Grand Hyatt DFW on a Friday & Saturday night the first weekend in December.

VA1379 Jan 5, 2010 7:06 pm

I must not be on the Hyatt IAD good list despite knowing one of the Front Desk supervisors well because the only time I ever got a junior suite there was when I used one of my suite upgrade certificates. This is based on the past 6-7 stays at that property in the past 14 months that I have been a Hyatt Diamond member.

spineangel Jan 5, 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective (Post 13116113)
After reading this thread, everyone should know that Hyatts have no obligation to upgrade Diamonds (or other GP levels) above RC room at check-in, but some do upgrade to suites when they are available. When this occurs, it is much appreciated. (This obviously does not include the 4 confirmed suite upgrades we get annually.) It would be interesting to find out what experience others have had at various properties. Perhaps this would help us make decisions about where to best use our confirmed upgrade certificates (especially on short stays) if having a suite is not essential.

For example, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio 3 times last year, and each time we received a revised confirmation via email from the hotel confirming a complimentary upgrade to a suite, subject to availability at check-in. The first time it was to a basic "grand suite" and the subsequent stays it was to hospitality suites (even on New Year's Eve when they were 100% occupied!)

At the Hyatt Hill Country San Antonio, we received complimentary upgrades to Hill Country (entry level)Suites at check-in both times we stayed there last year.

At the Hyatt Lost Pines, we were never offered a suite upgrade for any of our 4 stays, but were able to get one using a paper certificate after inquiring.

What is your experience?

Same result at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio. Have stayed at almost all the Marriotts, Starwoods, Hiltons in this area of Texas.
GRAND HYATT IS THE BEST !!!!! Almost always get upgraded to suite, without asking, begging, etc....
May be because of Platinum status, but am Platinum with Starwood, Diamond with Hilton, Siver with Marriott. And never have the degree of upgrade success and customer service that Hyatt is beginning to demonstrate.

bsdstone Jan 5, 2010 11:33 pm

Hyatt St. Louis...I just checked in tonight and am in a very nice junior suite...I have been upgraded to a suite or an arch view room (so close you feel like you can reach out your window and touch it).
If you stay in St. Louis, you need to give this place a try...the remodel is really really nice!

JonathanIT Jan 5, 2010 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 13120142)
Orange County^

To be more precise: Hyatt Regency Orange County, Garden Grove, CA. Very nearly 100% of my stays here have been upgraded to suites, including this past New Year's Eve when they were completely sold out (Talia at the FD worked to secure me a "family" suite when my preferred Conference Suite and other categories were not available). Definitely ^ !

NOT to be confused with the Hyatt Regency Irvine (also in OC), which is one stingy property when it comes to upgrades. They also routinely add gratuities to the "free" breakfast (the HR/OC does not).

FD1971 Jan 6, 2010 5:19 am

Although the OP intentions are brilliant, I fear that too many isolated experiences will simply result in very high expectations that might cause some trouble down the road...Park Hyatt Vendome and Highlands Inn Carmel are not places where I would automatically expect a suite upgrade.

Hyatt Regency Warsaw usually upgrades Diamond members to Club Deluxe rooms. Suite upgrades are not at all the norm. Club Deluxe rooms are close to 50 sqm. , so could be classified as a junior suite in many other metro areas...

Hyatt Regency Orange County has a very good track record of upgrading Diamnd members to suites, that has been confirmed by many posts here already.

Smart Shopper Jan 6, 2010 7:40 am

Wrote me in the same column as holtju2 (post #9) & FD1971 (post # 18)

I am confident that it’s most important to know which type of room/suites are offered (remember: FD can’t create a room for us), if our demand is realistic AND how we approach FD (some call it negotiation skills).

HR Warsaw:

Originally Posted by nissan motor (Post 13118519)
… suite upgrades when I was a Platinum. Now, as a Diamond, I get what they call "studio rooms" (smaller than suites but also nice).

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 13122858)
… usually upgrades Diamond members to Club Deluxe rooms. Suite upgrades are not at all the norm. Club Deluxe rooms are close to 50 sqm. , so could be classified as a junior suite in many other metro areas...

According to hotels room description, they offer standard rooms (queen), Deluxe rooms (king/twin), three different categories of Club Rooms [Queen (= Standard Room on RC floor), View King/Twin (38 m²) & Deluxe King/Twin (46 m²)] & four different categories of Suites [King (56 m²), Executive (68 m²), Diplomatic (120 m²) & Presidential (160 m²)].

Without reading this thread, I know that if available at time of check in, a Club Deluxe King room it the type of accommodation I could expect.

HR Orange County

Originally Posted by Maui4me1 (Post 13120142)
Orange County^

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 13122059)
… Very nearly 100% of my stays here have been upgraded to suites, including this past New Year's Eve when they were completely sold out (Talia at the FD worked to secure me a "family" suite when my preferred Conference Suite and other categories were not available). Definitely ^ !

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 13122858)
… a very good track record of upgrading Diamond members to suites, that has been confirmed by many posts here already.

According to hotels room description, they offer standard rooms (Guestroom/King/Queen) & different type of suites. There is no surprise that diamond members will receive a standard suite (King/Queen), otherwise they would not be upgraded. As someone who slept there, I see a huge difference between Atrium (floor matters too) and so called City View Suites. The latter I prefer, but don’t know if these are standard or Conference suites.

nissan motor Jan 6, 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Smart Shopper (Post 13123442)

HR Warsaw:According to hotels room description, they offer standard rooms (queen), Deluxe rooms (king/twin), three different categories of Club Rooms [Queen (= Standard Room on RC floor), View King/Twin (38 m²) & Deluxe King/Twin (46 m²)] & four different categories of Suites [King (56 m²), Executive (68 m²), Diplomatic (120 m²) & Presidential (160 m²)].

Without reading this thread, I know that if available at time of check in, a Club Deluxe King room it the type of accommodation I could expect.

According to the website, yes, there are no so-called studio rooms. However, I am right now on the sixth floor in a "large studio-room" (according to the front desk agent).

jumpdogjump Jan 7, 2010 2:37 pm

HR Mission Bay San Diego - 3 for 3 last year by asking at check-in - 1 marina suite (barking seals and seagulls may wake you up earlier than you'd like), 1 RC suite, 1 corner suite. Corner suites were sold out on 1st 2 stays.

I_Sue_Debt_Collectors Jan 7, 2010 6:25 pm

I just got upgrade to a jr suite at the regency north Dallas. Just a regular room with a connecting room with a Murphy bed.

I asked nicely if they had any open suites and sure enough.

Sitting in the bar eating, drinking and watching the rose bowl. Go Texas!!

stevens397 Jan 8, 2010 3:44 pm

Park Hyatt Paris Vendome

Last summer, we had a two night paid stay followed by a three night rewards stay in a suite (27.000 points per night). The paid nights were booked thru AMEX Centurion.

I was told in advance that the suite upgrade is the Junior Suite. Fine. But when we checked in, even tho we told them there were two separate reservations, the desk agent basically told us that since we were booked by AMEX Centurion, they were upgrading our regular room to an Executive Suite. Very special.

On the third day, we came back from sightseeing and were asked to come to the front desk. When I got there they said that our upgrade was because of AMEX - implying that that part of the trip was now over. They then said the construction and renovation in the lobby would start the following morning and they took the liberty of moving us to a higher floor since it would be quieter. I asked if the higher floor was also an Executive Suite and was told no. I realized what they were attempting to do and asked what the hours of construction would be and it was basically from 10 AM to 4 PM. I told them we would probably be out of the hotel during those hours so we were happy to stay where we were.

They took it with the same class they do everything. They said, no problem and we got to spend the entire time in the big suite.

My sense is that a Diamond who books thru AMEX will in fact get a suite of some type. When I look back each year to see if I got my money's worth from the card, things like this always make me say yes.

And if any of you have not been there, drop everything and get moving!

bmw303 Jan 8, 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 13142254)

My sense is that a Diamond who books thru AMEX will in fact get a suite of some type. When I look back each year to see if I got my money's worth from the card, things like this always make me say yes.

Does this happen for Diamonds on any Amex? Or just Amex Cent/Plat?

peteropny Jan 8, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 13142655)
Does this happen for Diamonds on any Amex? Or just Amex Cent/Plat?

AMEX FHR which is only for Centurion & Platinum (real - not co-branded) only.

BrettMCA Jan 8, 2010 9:36 pm

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach 12/24/09 - upgraded to suite without use of Diamond Certificate

Firewind Jan 9, 2010 1:03 am

Over many years: 1x Palacio Duhau. Everytime at Highlands Inn (thought it was de rigueur until I read this board). Capitol Hill many times. ~5x Pier Sixty-Six. 2x Chesapeake Resort (recently but w/o e-certs). 3x Sacramento. 2x Grand Champions. 2x Islandia. 2x Monterey. 2x Atlanta. 1x Vancouver. 1x HR Chicago. 1x Tamaya. 1x Albuquerque. 1x Riverwalk. 1x Reston. 1x Rosemont. 1x Crystal City. 3x SFO. 1x CDG. 1x MCO. (And at former Hyatts: Waikoloa, Lake Las Vegas, San Jose, LAX, ATL.)

These just happened, without instruments. I don't (think to) ask. I do often ask God or the hotel gods, "Why, now, when there's just me?" But I don't shake my fist at them... :D

1x HR Santa Clara...

spgplat21 Apr 24, 2010 6:33 pm

I've stayed at the Hyatt at the Bellevue in Philadelpia twice so far and both times was given a suite. The first time a Bellevue Suite (really nice) and the next was a regular suite I think.

wpj Apr 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Upgraded to Suites in

Park Hyatt Buenos Aires
Grand Hyatt Bali
Park Hyatt Beijing
Hyatt Coral Gables
Grand Hyatt Santiago

bmw303 Apr 24, 2010 9:45 pm

This is nice...gives me an idea of which Hyatts to favor.

price123 Apr 25, 2010 8:14 am

It's not quite the same thing but the Hyatt London Churchill gave me an executive suite when I used my suite upgrade cert. but then didn't actually take the certificate so I got a free upgrade from a standard room. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not

artemis021 Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am

Hyatt Regency Crystal City upgrades, I believe. At least I got one.

Regarding Hyatt IAD, I think they are an "all suite hotel" and they only have a couple really nice suites, the rest are just a bed areas set off from a sitting room area by a credenza. At least I think that's the case.

JonathanIT Apr 26, 2010 1:03 pm

On my last stay at the ANdAZ Wall St. NYC (3 night NBT award stay, 4/17/10), I requested an Executive King room on the reservation. Though not "officially" a suite I guess, it is a very large corner room with a separate sitting area and TV... what passes for a suite at many lesser properties. My request was granted upon check-in without further inquiry.

My previous stay at this property (2/19/10) I received a Deluxe King upgrade (no requests made), which is a slightly larger room than the standard King. Experiences posted on the master thread for this property prompted me to try for the Executive King, and I was pleasantly surprised it was granted without question.

I'm not sure what a confirmed upgrade cert would procure at this property, I would be very curious... because it looks like the next level King Suite at this property is quite grand. I was very happy with the Executive King!

limelight Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Hyatt McCormick Place, in Chicago, has a policy of upgrading Diamonds to suites, as previously mentioned. Where available, these tend to be the Skyline Suites - ridiculous double-doored sprawling things, on floor 30+. They're bascially a regular corner room, connecting with a vast (800sqf+) living-room with sofas, dining table, mini-kitchen and sweeping views of Chicago and the lake, along with another bathroom. (The bathrooms are regular-room bathrooms, so nothing too special there. But nevertheless - absurdly good.)

blenz May 1, 2010 7:26 pm

Grand Hyatt Seattle gives me an automatic (I don't have to ask) upgrade ~80% of the time. It's a fantastic hotel ^.

Hyatt Regency Bellevue has never given me an upgrade.

I used a cert to upgrade at Hyatt Regency St. Louis arch, the counter person told me they normally upgrade Diamonds regardless, so I probably wasted my cert. Although the hotel is very nice with good restaurants etc., the suite was spacious, but not particularly well decorated. If it weren't for the plasma tv's (2) and the bed, I would have otherwise thought I was staying at a Best Western.

mlpinto May 2, 2010 9:12 am

Hi,

I stayed at Grand Champions at Indian Wells (Palm Springs) last week and was upgraded to a Penthouse Suite from my booking of the cheapest pre paid rate. Very happy with this property!

Steph58 May 4, 2010 2:16 pm

Hyatt Santa Clara

It was offered to me by front desk when I checked in at 8:30 p.m. on a recent Saturday night (hotel actually appeared to be pretty busy). Executive Suite, very nice! Furnishings & decor made it one of the best suites I've ever received. Even had a Cuisinart coffee maker, whole coffee beans & a Cuisinart grinder. As good as a view that one could hope for in Santa Clara :) I had been going to look for food elsewhere, but decided what the heck I'll enjoy room service in my nice suite.

britinva79 May 5, 2010 1:46 pm

The Hyatt Fairfax often gives me upgrades to a nice suite.

The Hyatt Dulles told me they try to do this.

The Grand Hyatt DC do not...

richee May 5, 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by britinva79 (Post 13905337)
The Hyatt Fairfax often gives me upgrades to a nice suite.

The Hyatt Dulles told me they try to do this.

The Grand Hyatt DC do not...

Hyatt Fairfax and Dulles are very similar buildings with (almost) all rooms being "suites", as described by Artemis above as: "just a bed area set off from a sitting room area by a credenza. " I've stayed at these properties probably about 20 times each over the past several years.

In my personal experience, I've never received anything more than the standard room "suite" at Dulles. At Fairfax, I have been given the bigger end semi-secular rooms about half the time, and once was upgraded to a very large suite (about the size of 3 standard suites).

richee May 5, 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by artemis021 (Post 13845790)
Hyatt Regency Crystal City upgrades, I believe. At least I got one.

I have also stayed at CC about 20 times over the past few years. A couple times I've been given a slightly larger "executive" room, and only a couple other times, I've been given a suite.