Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Best Available Room at Check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Front desk staff often lie at you "sorry, no suite available". There is a discussion in the Starwood thread.

How is your experience with Hyatt?

My experience: Hyatt are the same liars as the Starwood staff.

The difference: With SPG (Platinum member) I usually get what I want, with Hyatt (Diamond member) not This is at least in hotels where I am a regular guest.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:44 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Suites are specifically excluded from the upgrade policy with Hyatt. Yes, many hotels do upgrade Diamonds to suites, but they certainly aren't required to per the terms and conditions unless you use a confirmed suite upgrade.

As far as lying, perhaps they weren't expounding fully, but to say there is no suite available [for a complimentary Diamond upgrade] is only a lie if you draw inferences.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:52 am

Hyatt Diamond upgrades to a suite are confirmed prior to arrival (at booking). Diamond members get 4 of these confirmed upgrades per year.

Front Desk agents do not typically upgrade to a suite, since it's not part of the Diamond benefits. Typically, they upgrade you one category up, or to the best within standard rooms.

Originally Posted by nissan motor
Front desk staff often lie at you "sorry, no suite available". There is a discussion in the Starwood thread.

The difference: With SPG (Platinum member) I usually get what I want, with Hyatt (Diamond member) not This is at least in hotels where I am a regular guest.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:04 am

Hyatt starts the same lying thing "sorry no suite available" today at the Hyatt Regency Warsaw
Front desk staff often lie at you "sorry, no suite available".
Diamond Benefits

To sum up your contribution in various threads: If have the impression that your primary intent is provoking other members and/or disrupting on-topic discussions.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Think what you want to think. Maybe that is YOUR main purpose.

Is it normal that I get suite upgrades as a Platinum member but not as a Diamond member? - No, it is not!

Is it normal that I get fantastic upgrades as a "some times guest" versus no such upgrades as a frequent guest? - No, it is not!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
To sum up your contribution in various threads: If have the impression that your primary intent is provoking other members and/or disrupting on-topic discussions.
+1

To the OP....Did you even read the details of the program before posting this? Hyatt does not provide complimentary upgrades to suites as part of the program except for the 4 confirmable diamond upgrades per year.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halothane
+1

To the OP....Did you even read the details of the program before posting this? Hyatt does not provide complimentary upgrades to suites as part of the program except for the 4 confirmable diamond upgrades per year.

The OP did read the few details which are on the Hyatt websites. But if the OP get's better upgrades on a lower level he does not understand when he gets a higher status level and on the same time lower upgrades
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable

It is getting boring.

First of all, nobody lied in the thread to are referring to, they simply had no suite available and that's it. To give you one example, suites are used for a corporate event and are booked until 6 p.m.

Somebody checks in at 3, was told no suites available and finds those suites available online later that day. Do you expect the hotel to breach a contract to give somebody something that he is supposed to get, if it is available...and believe it or not, some people simply book the room as long as they need it, regardless of any 50 or 100 % surcharge of using it until 6,7 or 9 p.m.

Your comment about getting what you want is also leading us nowhere, if you do not get what you want, I suggest you pay for it... @:-)@:-)

The problem with suite upgrades at Hyatt on FT has become that people seem to demand it more and more. peteropny has commented perfectly in the newest blissy thread over at GP that at several Hyatt properties, the upgrades some contributers in the thread referred to, are nowhere near the standard upgrade for Diamond members..., so actually Hyatt gets away pretty good there.

Regular, long-time Hyatt Diamond members have a good feeling where to get suite upgrades for free and ironically the experiences are similiar...so without too much exaggeration, I would say that you get one at Grand Champions on a weekday in summer, when the RC is closed. For the record, I never received one, when the RC was open,IIRC !!!

I was also batting 1.000 at the Park Hyatt San Francisco, because they had ( and have as LM/SPG property ) around 5 or 6 dozen suites. At the Regency OC, I am batting more than 0.500, but would not say that a suite is guaranteed there at all...another example.

Despite numerous stays at the Regency Brussels-Barsey and despite the fact that the hotel had no club and was dead-empty from time to time, I never ever received a suite upgrade there...

On a side note, if you ask, if a suite is available only because you are a Diamond and they say it is not available, I do not think that they lie, they actually tell you how it is, no suites for free, because they are not supposed to give you one...

Last edited by FD1971; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:33 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The OP did read the few details which are on the Hyatt websites. But if the OP get's better upgrades on a lower level he does not understand when he gets a higher status level and on the same time lower upgrades
Do you honestly believe that based on a 2,3 or maybe 4 examples, you can generally say that a Plat gets more than a Diamond ?

Best upgrade ever happened at a counter next to me, a couple was upgraded to TATL Business Class, because the check-in agent could not find a seat pair together in Y ....
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've been a diamond for at least 5 years and have NEVER been upgraded to suite at check in.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I've been a diamond for at least 5 years and have NEVER been upgraded to suite at check in.
I was on Saturday, not a e-suite credit one either, just a normal stay at the RH Toronto. Pleasantly surprised, but not something I expect given suites are specifically excluded from the Best Room T&C.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Perhaps the OP is best advised to voluntarily waive his/her Diamond status if Platinum gets him better treatment
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Diamond upgrade

Used a FFN last week New Yeass Eve at Huntington Beach and was very surprised andhappy at check in to be given a VIP suite was expecting Regency club room
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:16 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The distinction here is that Hyatt does not promise suite upgrades to Diamonds so when you get one you can consider yourself lucky. With Starwood, its "promised" to Platinums but often not given so you consider yourself shortchanged.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:02 pm

The way I understand is Diamond will get upgrade to the best room (1 level or higher depends on that particular hotel), not just one level up or RC room. This is especially important in resort properties when they have multiple categories of room.
However, suite is luck of draw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.