Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum

Mod note : pre-opening thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-20th-3.html.

Arrived last night. Staff appear understanding and acknowledge that the construction was not completed before opening. Parts that are open are best described as at 'second fix' stage - the main elements are completed but the finishing touches haven't been undertaken, so there is construction dust in places, paint on glasswork etc. Many parts of the resort aren't however yet open.

This will be a lovely resort, once it's done, but for the moment it's just not up to scratch and I'm amazed that Hyatt have let it open in this state.

Easiest summary is by comments on the advertised features of the hotel:

All Inclusive
Luxurious Accommodations - Finished element of our ocean view rooms are nice, but they are still working on rooms below and above us. Construction dust in room though and electric cables for a balcony light (but no light), although they responded pretty quickly to resolve this. Exterior areas of south tower are still a building site and/or haven't been renovated - dust caps on fire alarm system in corridor haven't yet been removed
Gourmet dining at a selection of 4 a la carte, international buffet restaurants and innovative ‘food carts,’ all inspired by International Celebrity Chef, Maximo Lopez - Food so far has been decent. Italian restaurant won't be open until end of Jan, food carts don't exist and only one buffet restaurant
24 hour in-room dining - Obtained menus from concierge but have to order from reception as phone in room doesn't work
Signature cocktails, spirits, beer, wine, and soft drinks served throughout the resort - Service is good and attentive. Branded spirits served. But sports bar and Beach Shack aren't yet open and won't be soon. Coffee shop is a joke as only serving filter coffee from flasks
A Tequila Sommelier and tequila tastings - Not mentioned on the activity schedule for this week
Resort Butlers to enhance your experience at the pool or beach, and to help de-stress your stay by offering assistance unpacking or planning activities
Romance Concierge to facilitate special moments
3 exclusive pools including the quiet pool for adults-only - The filter in what I think is the adult only pool is not currently functioning. Water is cloudy in a couple of other plunge pools
Beach cabanas for shade - Full cabanas are still under construction although palm frong umbrellas work fine
Spa hydrotherapy services & a fitness center - Spa and Gym are a total building site that you literally can walk straight into by following the spa signs. Massages are being offered elsewhere but the spa itself is weeks away from being ready
Concierge
Resort taxes & gratuities

Ziva Ocean View King
Amenities:
Rainfall showers and a whirlpool soaking tub - These rooms don't have a whirlpool tub
Designer toiletries, bathrobes & slippers
In-suite premium spirits, beer, soft drinks and snacks - No spirits in the room. Ice makers on floors not yet working
Individually-controlled air conditioning - AC has three speed settings but doesn't change from high
Ceiling fan - No ceiling fan
Telephone with voicemail - Phone not working at present
LCD Satellite TV with international programming and in-room movies
DVD player - No DVD Player
Work Desk - There is a small ledge desk, but no work seat, just a stool
Laptop-sized electronic safety deposit box
Alarm/clock radio - No Clock/Radio
Hair dryer - Had to ask for this but it was provided. Third dryer provided actually worked
Magnified makeup mirror
Spacious Closets with luggage rack
Iron/ironing board No ironing board in room
Stocked minibar
Tea and coffee maker

This is an important vacation for us and one on which we're particularly sensitive to noise, so YMMV. We're trying to remain positive, but every time I hear another angle grinder or circular saw it just reminds me that Hyatt should have deferred opening and relocated guests elsewhere. Formal communication on the matter is non existent, and whilst staff are looking to find a resolution nothing has yet been presented.

Last edited by peteropny; Dec 28, 2014 at 3:39 pm Reason: update.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Wow this is not what I expectedto hear. Have they offered to move you to a different resort?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:01 am

arriving today

If our flight ever leaves slc, delay
Was on phone late last night with hgf customer service who were unaware of any problems. Will give report when we arrive. Hoping for sunshine.... Something totally out of ziva and hyatt control.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:07 am

Good luck on your flight and look forward to your feedback. I called Gold passport and they told me everything is good....obviously they are out of touch.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
sounds like hyatt is royally dropping the ball on these new a/i openings.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:02 am

Does anyone have suggestions on if they have rented cars and drove around in this part of Mexico or just rent a taxi to take you places. I asked the hotel to quote a driver for a day but haven't heard back
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jay00848
Does anyone have suggestions on if they have rented cars and drove around in this part of Mexico or just rent a taxi to take you places. I asked the hotel to quote a driver for a day but haven't heard back
You could certainly rent a car and the hotel would be able to arrange that or put you in touch with a reliable rental agency once you are there. It can be very expensive and a little hairy driving in Mexico. I won't do it anymore.....we just hire a driver ( taxi or private) when we want to go explore, usually with some destination in mind so we aren't just driving when I would much prefer to be on the beach.

I would wait until you get there and see if you get so bored you need a diversion.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:15 pm

There is a pretty graphic description of the state of the Hyatt Ziva PV from a guest on the ground on TripAdvisor.

His title: “Like down-town Mogadishu”
Old Dec 25, 2014, 5:38 pm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...eview245792177
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
The staff have resolved the issues for us, and I commend them for the way they have handled this which given the time of year and stress they are under cannot be easy.

It's not Mogadishu by any stretch of the imagination but equally it shouldn't be open, and the problems documented today sum up why.

First and foremost this is a communication issue, because to act as if everything is normal is madness when the staff openly acknowledge that construction isn't finished. If the service and beach are anything to go by this will be a fantastic hotel., and I look forward to seeing it when it's properly finished and open. I'm just amazed that the local staff are being expected to handle what must be hundreds of complaints and problems without any proactive support from Hyatt.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Franklybrit
The staff have resolved the issues for us, and I commend them for the way they have handled this which given the time of year and stress they are under cannot be easy.
Are you able to divulge how they have resolved your issues? Comp? Relocation? Other?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta: Opening December 20th?

That does not sound like fun ....
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:24 pm

The Mogadishu review, franklybrits' review, and a call to the hotel were the final straw for me. I was booked at this hotel on December 30th. I called Hyatt and asked them about the condition of the hotel, mentioning details from the multiple reviews. All they would say is they could send the hotel a message inquiring about this. I am sorry, but that answer was just not good enough. If they are associating their brand with a property, and are booking guests, it is their responsibility to be up to date on the condition of the property for which they are booking & sending guests.

Furthermore, the agent on the phone said he has been waiting 2 days for a response from the hotel from a guest who had called him from the hotel to change rooms. I asked the Hyatt agent why a guest at the property would be calling him vs. speaking directly to the front desk......his answer was, "the guest was waiting in line for lunch and didn't want to lose his spot because the wait is really long".

Luckily, I had a 72 hour free cancellation policy, as I had booked directly. Even more luckily, 1 room became available at another PV hotel that I quite liked, so I sucked it up, paid the last minute premium, and booked elsewhere. It is my view that we all work too hard to be subjected to that kind of stress on vacation, so I am confident this was the right move.

What bothered me most about this whole experience was the complete lack of acknowledgement from Hyatt. When I called back to cancel, I rehashed my displeasure about this situation, and didn't even get a "sorry".

I realize there was risk associated with booking a hotel so close to its opening, but never imagined that a hotel having the Hyatt brand would be so far from ready, missing basic services (working washroooms/working elevators/nails in the pool/boarded up facilities/pool filters not working, etc.). And then never mind remedying the situation, the complete refusal by Hyatt to acknowledge the problem (apologize, offer alternative arrangements, offer some type of credit, etc.) was something I have never experienced from any hotel chain of that stature.

I would also like to add that I have been a heavy traveler and reader of this forum for years, but this is the first time I have had an experience that I felt compelled to post about.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Avoid.. For now

Checked in the 24th. As stated earlier staff are really nice. They're just not ready for prime time. Hotel mgmt told me as much when a friend we were supposed to meet got bumped. The power outage caused delay in finishing rooms and several other things. There are exposed wires, construction areas, elevators out of service, pool showers and bathrooms not working. We along with several other bumped and unhappy guests were moved to the garza Blanca reserve about 15 minutes down the street.

They should never have opened. This should be a lesson for other properties. and I'm surprised Hyatt corporate is not involved. It is disingenuous at best to have customers fly in, check in to be told the room will be ready at 3 they then went back and were told there were no rooms. They said because they had booked via expedia, there was no way to contact them to let them know the state of their reservation.

In the end, good people at the hotel did their best to manage an untenable position management put them in. I would wait at least 3 months before coming here. Probably 6. Room was nice but tv, phone, and Internet werent working. Elevators were slow and not always working. Not everything On menus was available.

We were meant to go to the Hyatt cabo. Rebooked here and ended up at a different property all together.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jayzee9
We along with several other bumped and unhappy guests were moved to the garza Blanca reserve about 15 minutes down the street.
The Garza Blanca is supposed to be a first rate property...considered one of the nicest AI in PV. I have often thought about staying there....but have not yet.

The biggest drawback I hear, about the GB is the distance to town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.