Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:21 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by highlandguy
Can anyone who is UK based help with a query re hotels.com & combining with cashback.

If I book via quidco, quidco lists various cashback rates that either do or don’t receive reward night credit on top of the cash back. I can then click through the relevant rate I want to use via the relevant link (there is one link for each option). So far so good!

However on topcashback (who currently have a better CB rate than quidco), while they list the various rates and options with/without reward night credit that are available as per quidco, they only have one generic link to take you through to the hotels.com site. So how do I indicate on TCB that I want the rate that also earns reward night credit not the rate that doesn’t?

I assume I am missing something very basic but I can't see anywhere how I can do this & it's driving me to distraction. Thanks
Logged into your reward account = TCB with Reward Rate
Not logged in = TCB Higher Rate
strichener is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:14 pm
  #92  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Out of position
Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Posts: 266
It is beyond me how people can view the rewards nights program as the equivalent of a 10 percent discount.

For most non-chain hotels, it is possible to *earn* rewards nights. However, I've yet to come across a hotel I wanted to stay at for which it is allowed to *redeem* rewards nights. (My location: Germany.)
fppmongo is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:04 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Posts: 6,784
Really, Strichener? If so, could we then book while logged out of Hotels.com Rewards to get the higher TCB rate, then log-in to add the ressie to our Hotels.com Rewards account ?
Brendan is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:47 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by Brendan
Really, Strichener? If so, could we then book while logged out of Hotels.com Rewards to get the higher TCB rate, then log-in to add the ressie to our Hotels.com Rewards account ?
I am not sure what would happen in those circumstances.

I would presume that it may be adjusted before payout. I know that I have had hotels track on TCB at the original purchase price and when I have used the BPG to price match, the TCB value has eventually adjusted down at the "confirm" stage.
strichener is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:54 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by fppmongo
It is beyond me how people can view the rewards nights program as the equivalent of a 10 percent discount.

For most non-chain hotels, it is possible to *earn* rewards nights. However, I've yet to come across a hotel I wanted to stay at for which it is allowed to *redeem* rewards nights. (My location: Germany.)
Whilst this has been your personal experience, I took a trip to New England in 2015 and used 11 "free nights" from Hotels.com for my accommodation, which varied from chains to B & Bs to independents. Hotels such as:

Stage Neck Inn - https://uk.hotels.com/hotel/details....hotelId=217916

The Quechee Inn https://uk.hotels.com/hotel/details....hotelId=273322

The Andover Inn https://uk.hotels.com/hotel/details....hotelId=357897

Kennebec Inn Bed and Breakfast https://uk.hotels.com/hotel/details....hotelId=488110

All of them highly recommended.
strichener is offline  
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:19 am
  #96  
Fyd
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SFO, MNL, SIN, HAM
Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by fppmongo
It is beyond me how people can view the rewards nights program as the equivalent of a 10 percent discount.

For most non-chain hotels, it is possible to *earn* rewards nights. However, I've yet to come across a hotel I wanted to stay at for which it is allowed to *redeem* rewards nights. (My location: Germany.)
Not my experience at all - I've redeemed free nights at wonderful hotels all over Europe and Asia. You have a lot more choices than with any chain rewards program...
Fyd is offline  
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:14 pm
  #97  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by Fyd
Not my experience at all - I've redeemed free nights at wonderful hotels all over Europe and Asia. You have a lot more choices than with any chain rewards program...

Some people live in this bubble by which the only hotels that exist are Hyatt, Hilton, and Marriott. I don't get it. Boutique hotels usually blow these chains to absolute dog poopy.
Terminator8 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:52 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 85
I've been using Hotels.com primarily for a few years and found it be pretty good. I don't always have control over what hotel I stay in so I like the flexibility and simplicity.

However, you're not always treated the best by a hotel when you book through Hotels.com (i.e. you may not get the best room location).

I can't see myself accruing more than 10 nights under a single hotel chain per year. Most of the benefits of getting status that 10/nights per year get you seem pretty lame.

In that case, am I better off just sticking with Hotels.com or is there any compelling reason to look closer at a specific reward program?
JetLife is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:56 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,995
The math is simple. Hotels.com is effectively a 10% off rebate. SPG gives you 2 points per $ spent at a hotel. A decent value for SPG is somewhere in the 2cpp range. You can occasionally do higher value redemptions but 2-3 cpp is more what I average (and I don't use cash room rates for Cat 7 hotels as a measure of value because I'll never pay those). Even at the higher end of the range it's only a 6% rebate effectively. Hotels.com compares much more favorably even if you don't use the full value of your free night - the breakeven point is 60% of the value of your free night.

So I have switched most of my earnings over to Hotels.com. (I have a bank of hotel points though.)
abcx is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:14 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SAN
Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Posts: 1,666
I don't have enough stays with any chain to earn status, but I have IHG Platinum, SPG gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, and Club Carlson Gold, all through credit cards or status matches. I think the status benefits are worth using the hotel chain's rewards program.

But ignoring status benefits and purely looking at earning and using points, I would agree that the hotels.com rewards program is probably better in many cases. Especially because I can usually get hotels.com gift cards at a 20% discount one way or another.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:01 am
  #101  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,103
Originally Posted by JetLife
I've been using Hotels.com primarily for a few years and found it be pretty good. I don't always have control over what hotel I stay in so I like the flexibility and simplicity.

However, you're not always treated the best by a hotel when you book through Hotels.com (i.e. you may not get the best room location).

I can't see myself accruing more than 10 nights under a single hotel chain per year. Most of the benefits of getting status that 10/nights per year get you seem pretty lame.

In that case, am I better off just sticking with Hotels.com or is there any compelling reason to look closer at a specific reward program?
I mix it up between more direct bookings and using Hotels.com.

Hotels.com's reward program + cashback portal use when making hotels.com bookings has provided me a decent enough return that I consider it despite the benefits I get for direct booking at hotel chains/hotels where I get some kind of premium benefits.

Given some of my lodging needs can't be well met by major hotel groups, hotels.com gets some more of my highest rate business than I would have thought it would get when I first encountered it a good number of years back.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:02 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I mix it up between more direct bookings and using Hotels.com.

Hotels.com's reward program + cashback portal use when making hotels.com bookings has provided me a decent enough return that I consider it despite the benefits I get for direct booking at hotel chains/hotels where I get some kind of premium benefits.

Given some of my lodging needs can't be well met by major hotel groups, hotels.com gets some more of my highest rate business than I would have thought it would get when I first encountered it a good number of years back.
I'm exactly the same.
abcx is offline  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:41 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
what can you say about couchsurfing?
Katt34 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:16 am
  #104  
Moderator: Travel Buzz
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 3,088
We were using Bookings.com, and now have migrated back to Hotels.com, for no particular reason. It seemed that availability was similar through both sites. The 10% back at Hotels.com is handy, and has saved us a few hundred dollars that would have been spent otherwise. Since it's tallying up automatically, we've found it very easy to use. If it were points, they'd simply be absorbed into my points coffers, and be of less value to me than the cash back. That said, isn't it possible to double dip by using a portal? And then triple or quadruple dip by using the Chase Sapphire Reserve for both the travel credit, if you have any left, and the triple points offered as a card benefit for travel?

We use Hotels.com or Bookings.com out of necessity- we can get a room in the places we go. By design, our travels are often far off the beaten path, so there are limited or no choices with chain hotels. We like the friendly feel of the smaller places, without actually switching to an AirB&B type dwelling. Some of the offerings, though, start to seem very B&B ish... in Norway they require a cleaning fee and that you bring your own towels and linens. Since these accommodations are clearly geared for a different type of traveler, we just keep hunting around until we find one that works.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:24 am
  #105  
Moderator: Travel Buzz
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 3,088
Originally Posted by Katt34
what can you say about couchsurfing?
Welcome to FT, Katt34. Couchsurfing is discussed in the Budget Travel forum. Here's a link to one of several threads.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...t=couchsurfing
StartinSanDiego is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.