Wiki Posts
Search

Major change to Expedia BRG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Major change to Expedia BRG ?

It looks like Expedia has made a major change to its BRG. Hotels for which you claimed a BRG cannot be canceled anymore, at least not online. I know this has been reported as single incidents elsewhere but it now appears to be stardard practice. Can other people confirm?

Last edited by flyinghigh77; Apr 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Is this in writing somewhere that YOU have seen?
Are you speculating?
Did this happen to you?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darben
Is this in writing somewhere that YOU have seen?
Are you speculating?
Did this happen to you?
it happened to me 3 times in a row. and others have reported it, too. maybe i should have put a "?" in the headline, you are right.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:48 pm

What happens when you try to cancel?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakesideas
What happens when you try to cancel?
I got a text saying that this reservation could not be canceled online. this has never been an issue before.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:11 pm

Did you try calling to cancel?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
I got a text saying that this reservation could not be canceled online. this has never been an issue before.
Is this now the case for cancellations for non-BRG hotel reservations too?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
They probably are trying to cut down on the number of people who do the BRG multiple times and then cancel just to get the coupon.

It isn't charity you know
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:47 pm

I did 2 last week. I was able to cancel one, no problem, refund on my credit card within a few days. The second one I couldn't cancel. Had a message saying that the hotel cannot be cancelled and to try again later.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:09 pm

It just happened to me. It took 20 minutes on the phone today to finally get my refund after cancelling a booking about 10 days ago. Getting a refund has become as burdensome as actually getting a BRG.

Definitely not worth my time anymore.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

has anyone be able to cancel a booking online for which a brg was claimed? i think it is not possible any more, honestly. the it guys must have done some work... i am afraid to cancel over the phone, if possible, because i do not want to loose my coupon...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:05 pm

I've been getting tons of e-mails at the BRG Blog from my readers telling me of this happening to them. All e-mails have been within the past month or two, none prior. They are cracking down big time! This is their way of making you go through such an incredible amount of time and hassle that you'll never want to claim a BRG again, or so it seems.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
has anyone be able to cancel a booking online for which a brg was claimed? i think it is not possible any more, honestly. the it guys must have done some work... i am afraid to cancel over the phone, if possible, because i do not want to loose my coupon...
Yup I have. I had already used the coupon to book a hotel, then cancelled the hotel for which it was claimed. I'm having trouble for another one though...but I have till July to cancel. I'm staying at the hotels for which I used the coupon
next week. So I will call them after my stay for the cancellation.

I agree with other members about BRG not worth the time and too much hassle.
I have seen very good deals from booking.com which I have used, especially the 50% off flash deals. It turned out to be around the same price as using a $50 coupon on Expedia.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Freeroomguy
I've been getting tons of e-mails at the BRG Blog from my readers telling me of this happening to them. All e-mails have been within the past month or two, none prior. They are cracking down big time! This is their way of making you go through such an incredible amount of time and hassle that you'll never want to claim a BRG again, or so it seems.
for me it seem to be clear that expedia will not allow hotel bookings to be canceled online for which brg were claimed. the interesting question is: even if you cancel over the phone (and are able to do do), will you still be able to use your coupon or will you loose your coupon?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:27 pm

The last one I tried to claim a few weeks ago was approved, but I was told that they saw that I had previously cancelled the reservations after I had gotten brg coupons. They informed me that if I cancelled this booking after I received the coupon , they would take away that coupon and possibly the previous coupons. The coupon was never dropped as I cancelled the reservation when I ended the call. They have never touched the coupons already in my account. I think I am done with the Expedia BRG. I am currently doing alot with the Choice BRG...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.