Wiki Posts
Search

on my way - need shopping info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

on my way to hk for a week. Can't find threads about places to get HIGH quality knock offs and/or seconds from factories that make high end stuff. Can anyone help?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Not knock-offs but there's an outlet shopping center in Tung Chung called CityGate (the MRT stops underneath so easy to get too). Pretty decent place, I usually find a few things there to buy. Mostly clothing and shoes and not top-end designers (eg there is a Lanvin but no Armani, D&G etc).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The ladies market in Mong Kok is full of low-quality counterfeit items, such as Coach handbags, etc. The surrounding shops (generally upstairs) also have higher quality counterfeit. Ask for grade A or grade A+ (the latter is often unauthorized product manufactured by the same factory/workers/raw materials/production line as the genuine item; I have no sympathy for companies that choose to do this, it is part of their cost of doing business in choosing to use a low-cost manufacturer base that is known to act unethically, so my own view is that these are "designer seconds" -- just they get no profit from it, it all goes to China). For the really good stuff you have to be pretty savvy, and it wont be dirt cheap (e.g. USD 200 for a USD 2000 handbag may be typical, while there will be knockoffs using lower quality materials for USD 40). Sometimes you can get really genuine items too, but that is rare (I bought a Diesel bag which had the hologram certificate of authenticity and seemed completely genuine, except the price was 1/4 of the cheapest web price).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by number_6
I have no sympathy for companies that choose to do this, it is part of their cost of doing business in choosing to use a low-cost manufacturer base that is known to act unethically, so my own view is that these are "designer seconds" -- just they get no profit from it, it all goes to China).
And how about the companies that don't choose to do this?

Justifying a moral deficit doesn't make it right.

I bought a Diesel bag which had the hologram certificate of authenticity and seemed completely genuine, except the price was 1/4 of the cheapest web price.
Holograms can be copied/bought very easily. There are ways to authenticate that the average person doesn't know about.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:52 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by estnet
Can't find threads about places to get HIGH quality knock offs and/or seconds from factories that make high end stuff.
There are no seconds. Reputable factories won't risk losing their high pay customer.

Originally Posted by number_6
. Sometimes you can get really genuine items too, but that is rare
Its not rare is non-existent. Trademark infringement is a crime in Hong Kong.
If you purchase/and or possess counterfeit products in Hong Kong you are a criminal.

Best to go to China to buy counterfeit its legal there.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by splatnz
Not knock-offs but there's an outlet shopping center in Tung Chung called CityGate (the MRT stops underneath so easy to get too). Pretty decent place, I usually find a few things there to buy. Mostly clothing and shoes and not top-end designers (eg there is a Lanvin but no Armani, D&G etc).

If looking for authentic and cheap products with quality, it's worth to shop at Citygate Outlets, very near to airport, gd choice to go there for last min shopping or 1st stop place. Noticed there's many new shops arrived this year, depends on ur budget, there's nice brand like a.testoni, Anteprima, Coach, Burberry.. but if u look for cheaper one, there's Mango, Guess, Crocs..etc. For me, I'm a shoe-acholic.. I love to get designer shoes at Peddar (Lane Crawford Group)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks for all the info. One more question.

I've seen some very nice table runners at China Arts and Crafts - at also some very nice prices Is there anywhere there are likely to be cheaper versions of the same high quality stuff (probably from the mainland).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks for all the info. One more question.

I've seen some very nice table runners at China Arts and Crafts - at also some very nice prices Is there anywhere there are likely to be cheaper versions of the same high quality stuff (probably from the mainland).
Yeah, Stanley
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by splatnz
AIX is on the first floor next to 21 which does DKNY etc. There are loads of shops worthy of a look. Just have to wade through the crap.

I got Ralph Lauren Polo pants for HK$150. That is cheap.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:29 am

if you are looking for trendy sneakers, I recommend Citygate in Tung Chung as well, there are many famous sports wear outlet such as adidas and Puma, and with 30-70% discount through the whole year!@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.