Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong hotels/ first-timers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong hotels/ first-timers

Hi, we have a week's trip to Hong Kong coming up - 4 days business in Two IFC place and then leisure for the weekend. I need advice on which of the three hotels to choose for the first 4 nights:

1. Landmark Oriental for 1184USD inclusive of breakfast (496HKD value a day) and taxes for the Study type room (32 sq meters). Room internet 150HKD a day extra.

2. W Hong Kong, cheap rate (their mistake rate 153$), but no breakfast.

3. Hyatt 1236USD inclusive of tax and diamond level benefits, such as free breakfast and evening drinks, and free in-room internet.

Which one is the best option? We probably will stay at W during the second part of our stay just to benefit from their cheap rate we secured a couple of months back, so would you go for MO or Hyatt? It seems that the location of the Hyatt is worse than both MO or W, but that the executive club adds value to one's stay - this receives praise from travelers in Hyatt forum? It serves free drinks and canapes in the evening as well as breakfast.

Any thoughts on this dilemma? It is our first time in Hong Kong so any information would be most welcome. Specifically, if you only had 2 days to see the city, what would you do?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Since you apparently have money to burn and the Hyatt (a few hundred metres from Two IFC) is "inconvenient" then why not the Four Seasons, which would allow you to walk to Two IFC through the air-conditioned mall thereby even further reducing any need to actually see any of Hong Kong?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
1. Landmark Oriental for 1184USD inclusive of breakfast (496HKD value a day) and taxes for the Study type room (32 sq meters). Room internet 150HKD a day extra.

2. W Hong Kong, cheap rate (their mistake rate 153$), but no breakfast.

3. Hyatt 1236USD inclusive of tax and diamond level benefits, such as free breakfast and evening drinks, and free in-room internet.
You are confusing the LMO with the MO. The LMO doesn't have "study type room" of 32sq meters. The smallest room at the LMO is 42 sq meters. Those are good rates for four nights at any of them.

The "studio-type" room at the MO is their crappiest room, and you certainly won't get any decent view. But you are within walking distance of 2 IFC. The Hyatt should give you a nicer room, with a harbourview and access to the club, but you'll have to probably taxi it to 2IFC, which will add 5 minutes to your "commute".
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The "W" is only one MTR stop from ifc. I will just stay there for that rate you have.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by rkkwan
The "W" is only one MTR stop from ifc. I will just stay there for that rate you have.
Yea, but it is on the Tung Chung line, which doesn't run as often, and I have found it to be a pain to wait for.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yea, but it is on the Tung Chung line, which doesn't run as often, and I have found it to be a pain to wait for.
I know, but after you've rode the subway in Los Angeles (like I have), you'll find the Tung Chung line very frequent.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Talking

You are confusing the LMO with the MO.
The "studio-type" room at the MO is their crappiest room, and you certainly won't get any decent view. But you are within walking distance of 2 IFC. The Hyatt should give you a nicer room, with a harbourview and access to the club, but you'll have to probably taxi it to 2IFC, which will add 5 minutes to your "commute".
Thanks. Yes, it is MO and the rates are reasonable, discounted 25%. Suppose have to go with the latter so as to have "incentive" to see the city. Hyatt's incentives to sit in the lounge sipping free alcohol distract one from "seeing the city"... Thanks for all responses, and some sarcasm is highly valued as well in the hard choices that I have to make.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I know, but after you've rode the subway in Los Angeles (like I have), you'll find the Tung Chung line very frequent.
Or kind of like the Red Line in Boston, which has this pre-recorded announcement saying that you should be "on the lookout for suspicious or unusual people or objects, and should report to the station master." So, one time, after waiting for ages for a train, some wag says, I should report this approaching train, since it is so unusual.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:46 pm

peak hours it runs around every 5 mins and off peak around every 10 mins.

its really not that much to wait.

the W rate is pretty good.

however if its money you have to burn, stay at the 4 seasons, esp if you are going to be in 2 ifc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.