Wiki Posts
Search

luxury food recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2008, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some
luxury food recommendations

In addition to munching on 'streetfood', I am hoping to have a couple of high-end meals as well. I've booked a table at Pierre to watch the anniversary day fireworks but was hoping to get a few more recommendations.

I'm staying at the Peninsula and was wondering whether a meal at Gaddi's would be memorable? Caprice? Others? (I'm not too keen on Robuchon as I've eaten at his place in Tokyo too often - I used to live around the corner).

I would also love a good recommendation for great Cantonese food - One Harbour Road, Lei Garden?

Unfortunately my visit is early in the week (Sunday-Tuesday), but would there still be a recommended club to visit for drinks later in the evening? Halo? Volar? Others?

Due to reciprocal club rights I have access to the Hong Kong Club and the Foreign Correspondents' Club - are either of these worth a visit for a cup of coffee?
Old May 22, 2008, 3:10 pm

I'd recommend Man Wah at the MO. It is by far the best Chinese food I've ever had and (as expected) the service and atmosphere are great. Views are pretty nice.

I at at Pierre last summer and was terribly disappointed. Not only was it not close to Pierre Gagnaire in Paris, but it was actually one of the more mediocre French meals I've ever had. The fish I ordered was overcooked. Dessert (on the prix fixe menu) was a giant cream puff. I personally would never return. Emailed Gagnaire (himself) and never got any response. Views, however, were excellent.

I'd definitely head to Man Wah though.
Old May 22, 2008, 4:56 pm

Most five-star hotel restaurants are top notch in Hong Kong. For French, I recommend Gaddi's, Petrus at Island Shangri-La, Caprice, or Pierre.
btw, if you are going to H.K. next week, you are lucky. Chef Gagnaire is coming to Pierre.

For Chinese, Man Wah is great indeed, but if you are dining at Pierre, remember Man Wah is right next to Pierre on the same floor (25th F.) of MO Hotel, hence the views from the two premises are somewhat similar (although from different angles).
One Harbour Road @ Grand Hyatt, Summer Palace @ Island Shangri-La, Yan Toh Heen @ Intercon. and Spring Moon @ Peninsula are also recommended. In case you decide to go to One Harbour Road, the restaurant occupies seventh and eighth floors of Grand Hyatt, and be sure to reserve window seats on the seventh floor. Views from the eighth floor are partly blocked by a fence around the tables.

Regarding the Hong Kong Club, please refer to my previous posting somewhere.

Last edited by Korean Guy; May 22, 2008 at 11:01 pm
Old May 22, 2008, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Korean Guy
............and Spring Moon are also recommended
As a local, I've dined at Spring Moon on a couple of occassions. While its quality is something I would not dispute, I on the other hand have had much better dim sum & seafood dinner at other locations outside of the normal tourist ventured areas at much lower prices. You will not get top notch service at these places as you will at Spring Moon, but nothing shabby at all.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
As a local, I've dined at Spring Moon on a couple of occassions. While its quality is something I would not dispute, I on the other hand have had much better dim sum & seafood dinner at other locations outside of the normal tourist ventured areas at much lower prices. You will not get top notch service at these places as you will at Spring Moon, but nothing shabby at all.
I myself used to live in Hong Kong for ten years, and I absolutely agree with you. I enjoy the large, crowded dim sum restaurants and cha chan teng (茶餐廳) too. But I think hotel dining could be equally a good experience as well. I recommend to try both types, especially if he/she is visiting H.K. for a short period.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel dining is a fine experience and I by no means is against it. What I'm trying to come across is that the quality served at hotel restaurants does not necessarily translate into one of the best. For example I live near the Whampoa area in Hung Hom. Nearby there is the Harbour Plaza hotel which houses the Hoi Yat Heen. IMO this dining quality is not as good as what I have gotten at the Maxim's in Whampoa Garden several blocks away.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Hotel dining is a fine experience and I by no means is against it. What I'm trying to come across is that the quality served at hotel restaurants does not necessarily translate into one of the best. For example I live near the Whampoa area in Hung Hom. Nearby there is the Harbour Plaza hotel which houses the Hoi Yat Heen. IMO this dining quality is not as good as what I have gotten at the Maxim's in Whampoa Garden several blocks away.
Rejuvenated, I just gave some recommendations to Fliar, who is looking for high end dining places, and I never argued anything against your opinion. I don't understand your point.
Old May 23, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: MPC
Gaddi's is fantastic food. I just don't like to keep my jacket on though. It's one of the high high end joints.

If you like a bit of oyster, pop over the road to the Sheraton oyster bar. 60 types. Yum.

Felix has a nice view for a happy hour drink, nice atmosphere, shame about the backpackers.

Wherever you go you'll find differing opinions, so that enough from me.
Old May 23, 2008, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by thursday
If you like a bit of oyster, pop over the road to the Sheraton oyster bar. 60 types. Yum.
Mrs C does so we'd been thinking about going there (20% off this month with HSBC Premier card). What are the prices like for the oysters?
Old May 23, 2008, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for these tips, people!

Has anyone else experienced Pierre?

How disappointing that must have been, especially at their prices. I'd been really looking forward to that.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by Fliar
In addition to munching on 'streetfood', I am hoping to have a couple of high-end meals as well. I've booked a table at Pierre to watch the anniversary day fireworks but was hoping to get a few more recommendations.
If for the fireworks, the only place i would recommend now is on the terrace at Sevva - no better location. 25/fl. Princes Building.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

well...the food comes first (and second) and the fireworks is a nice bonus :-)
Old May 23, 2008, 12:55 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Your timing is impeccable.

I received in the mail today my Zagat Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Beijing restaurants and hotels guide (I'm a reviewer, so I get free copies).

Top food in Hong Kong in order (with points on 30-pt. scale):

Lung King Heen, Chinese, 28
Sushi Hiro, Japanese, 28
Gaddi's, French, 27
Petrus, French, 27
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, French, 27
Fook Lam Moon, Chinese, 26
Morton's, Steak, 26
Nadaman, Japanese, 26
Da Domenico, Italian, 26
Yan Toh Heen, Chinese, 26
Man Wah, Chinese, 26
Spring Moon, Chinese, 26
Mandarin Grill, Eclectic, 25
Caprice, French, 25
1 Harbour Road, Chinese, 25
Nobu, Japanese, 25
Steak House, Steak, 25
Gaia Ristorante, Italian, 25
Dim Sum, Chinese, 25
Inagiku, Japanese, 25

Other tops (top 3 of each):

Top decor:

Hutong
Felix
China

Top service:

Gaddi's
Yan Toh Heen
Petrus

I've eaten at and would recommend Gaddi's, Petrus, Yan Toh Heen, Felix, and Man Wah (although CHGal didn't particularly care for this last one). I also love the decor at Hutong and think the food is pretty good as well.

Enjoy. Hong Kong is a fabulous dining city.
Old May 23, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Personal favourite for dinner if you don't visit HK that often is dinner at Felix at the Peninsula. Great location if you ask for a table on the harbour side to watch the fireworks. The bathroom is pretty good too
Old May 23, 2008, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Chapel Hill Guy, for taking the time to write that up - very timely indeed!

I have been to Yan Toh Heen (and liked it) so would like to try a different Chinese restaurant this time. Have you been to Lung King Heen? Do you (and others) think it is that good?

Interesting that Pierre is not even in this list. Having read more rather negative reviews I am seriously considering cancelling my reservation and changing it to something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.