Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Do EU GSM triband cell phone work in HK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Have several countries on htis year trip and are wondering if our cell phone will work for emergancy contacts. Last year we found out our cell phones don't work in S. Korea and are now wondering if we will encounter this problem elsewhere in Asia too?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes it will. S Korea and Japan are the two countries in Asia that don't have GSM netwroks. Everywhere else does.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Yes it will. S Korea and Japan are the two countries in Asia that don't have GSM netwroks. Everywhere else does.
I thought they do, but you need a 4 band phone for them.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That depends on the type of 4 band phone. There are some which support GSM across 4 frequency bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz. These will not work in Japan & Korea which have CDMA and 2100MHz UMTS networks (some slightly non-standard). A very few phones have the capability to work 2100MHz UMTS either as a fifth band or with that replacing one of the other bands.

There's a good summary here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.